Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Drinking then driving

I'm a P plater and need a 0.00 level of alcohol.

Now I had a smirnoff which was 1.3 standard drinks at 1pm today.

I want to go to my mates now but will it be out of my system?

Old 25-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

how big are you?
when did you last eat?
how fast is your metabolism?

anyone that gives you a definite answer is as big of a goose as you for asking us :P

Old 25-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

drink a few beers, that'll hide the smirnoff....

alternatively, what Tibbo said ^^
Old 25-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Usually takes about 1hr I think for a standard drink to pass from your system. Thats for an average male (whatever they deem that to be). But having a drink at 1pm, and wanting to go at around 8.30pm, its fair to say its gone from your system.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
Old 25-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Drive around untill you find an RBT unit and ask them to check for you
Old 25-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I'd say you'd be fine, don't quote me on this.. but I heard somewhere (albeit officers discretion) that the limit is 0.02 for p platers, but it doesn't get published. Reason, there's foods, such as cherrie ripe(or just cherries if you like, not sure how much you need to eat, but eat a bucket load :P) that _could_ put you over?
Old 25-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Listerine has also been known to cause a reading if you get tested shortly after using it.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
Old 25-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
I'd say you'd be fine, don't quote me on this.. but I heard somewhere (albeit officers discretion) that the limit is 0.02 for p platers, but it doesn't get published. Reason, there's foods, such as cherrie ripe(or just cherries if you like, not sure how much you need to eat, but eat a bucket load :P) that _could_ put you over?
Heard the above before, don't know how true it is, but i'v had mates let off who have been under 0.02 from the night before or had a beer at lunch and went driving in the arvo, i'd say it depends on the cop, and how you were driving at the time.

I have had my girlfriend in the car who had been drinking, i kissed her when i picked her up and went through an RBT about 2 minutes later and they breath tested me and i blew 0.01 and they asked if i had been drinking an i said No but i had kissed my girlfriend, they breath tested her to see if she had been drinking and then let me go, they just said it happens but to be more careful.
Old 25-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
I have had my girlfriend in the car who had been drinking, i kissed her when i picked her up and went through an RBT about 2 minutes later and they breath tested me and i blew 0.01 and they asked if i had been drinking an i said No but i had kissed my girlfriend, they breath tested her to see if she had been drinking and then let me go, they just said it happens but to be more careful.
Must have been one heck of a kiss! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 25-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:

I'll back that up, after a big night out on the town me and some mates went into a cop shop to see if they would breath test us and the police woman that tested me reckoned that as long as i was under 0.02 i wouldn't get booked if pulled over (i ended up blowing 0.04 and that was at 2pm in the afternoon ).
Old 25-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Must have been one heck of a kiss! LOL!

GK
: :
Old 26-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Quote:

My Asthma puffer may put me over if i have it just before getting breatho'd too
Old 26-12-2007, 01:32 AM   #13
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if you blew .02, what would the penality be?
Old 26-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #14
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

My advice for anyone that needs to ask "Have i had too much to drink"? Should just call 131008
Old 26-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand this happened yesterday, but it may help for future reference. As mentioned before, for a standard male, it takes 1 hour for 1 standard drink to pass through your system. Thats where the 1 standard drink measure comes from. But it depends on many factors, such as your weight, your hydration levels, several saturation levels in your blood, rate of metabolism. If you are an average male, or thereabouts, you should be fine.

However asking us if you're OK to drive is really a waste of time. None of us can give you a definite answer. You need to use your head. If several hours have passed since only having 1.3 std drinks, then you should be OK, but do you FEEL ok?

You wont be that misled after only a tiny amount, so do you feel aware, do you feel like your reaction time is normal? Can you move around and feel completely in control of your body? Do you feel in any way impared?

If after several hours of not drinking (and you only had a small amount before that) and you feel OK, you SHOULD be ok to drive. Key word, Should. If ever you're in doubt, call a cab.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
Old 26-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Not true. Not at all. I lost my license for six months, on P plates, for blowing 0.01.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Old 26-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
My advice for anyone that needs to ask "Have i had too much to drink"? Should just call 131008
exactly.
if you need to ask, you need to walk.
Old 26-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #18
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
Not true. Not at all. I lost my license for six months, on P plates, for blowing 0.01.
It is true, about the 'officers discretion'

and losing your license for 6 months for blowing 0.01? was the judge on drugs?

have you had prior conviction?
Old 26-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #19
outside
off in outer space

if you're on your "P"s then you should know how long it takes before you can drive.
or didnt you pass that qustion when you sat the test ?
Old 26-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #20
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
I understand this happened yesterday, but it may help for future reference. As mentioned before, for a standard male, it takes 1 hour for 1 standard drink to pass through your system. Thats where the 1 standard drink measure comes from. But it depends on many factors, such as your weight, your hydration levels, several saturation levels in your blood, rate of metabolism. If you are an average male, or thereabouts, you should be fine.
However asking us if you're OK to drive is really a waste of time. None of us can give you a definite answer. You need to use your head. If several hours have passed since only having 1.3 std drinks, then you should be OK, but do you FEEL ok?
You wont be that misled after only a tiny amount, so do you feel aware, do you feel like your reaction time is normal? Can you move around and feel completely in control of your body? Do you feel in any way impared?
If after several hours of not drinking (and you only had a small amount before that) and you feel OK, you SHOULD be ok to drive. Key word, Should. If ever you're in doubt, call a cab.
Just to add to that...
It also depends on ones state of mind, how much/when you have last eaten and your BMI (body mass index)

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 26-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #21
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
And another unnecessary stirring reply from the forum ********.
Now now boys, lets keep it clean !!!
Old 26-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #22
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah thanks guys I felt fine but my parents were going nuts about me having the thought of even driving so I needed facts to convince them, still didn't do any good though.
Old 26-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #23
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
Now now boys, lets keep it clean !!!
I've tried I've avoided him for weeks but every time there's contact between us it's him who always starts the crap.

You think he would've stopped by now.

This thread is now tainted, mods please close it before he gets a chance to post more crap.
Old 26-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
there's foods, such as cherrie ripe(or just cherries if you like, not sure how much you need to eat, but eat a bucket load :P) that _could_ put you over?
They tested this theory on Nova, and they used about 4 different people with different body shapes. They eat a whole heap of cherry Ripes and were breath tested by the police. They all blew 0.00.
Old 26-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #25
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Yeah thanks guys I felt fine but my parents were going nuts about me having the thought of even driving so I needed facts to convince them, still didn't do any good though.
That's good to here. So i take it you didn't end up going out.
Old 26-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #26
Ford_V8

There is a useful calculator here for future reference www.ru****ed.com
Old 26-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #27
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_V8
There is a useful calculator here for future reference www.ru****ed.com
Thanks for the link mate but in all seriousness, How can it be of any use ? It does'nt take into account the major factors.
Old 27-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #28
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
That's good to here. So i take it you didn't end up going out.
Yeah lol work ended up calling at around 10:30pm for me to work tomorrow so I ended up having an early night.

Good to know for future reference though.