Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Did i hear right???.... DIESEL?!

Ford focus on diesel range
Gordon Lomas
15jun05

Quote:
Ford is edging closer to offering its first diesel passenger car.

An all-new Focus diesel is currently being evaluated by Ford Australia in Melbourne.
While no commitment has been made, Ford is seriously exploring the opportunity of bringing in a diesel Focus to complement the new range which goes on sale at the end of the month.

The South African-sourced Focus oil-burner has been in Australia for a couple of weeks.

There are several issues to deal with before a new variant such as the diesel Focus comes to market nothwithstanding price.

If a diesel Focus can arrive for no more than a few thousand dollars dearer than the 2-litre petrol model, it would present an attractive buying alternative.

"Price is the No. 1 issue at the moment," John Crew, executive vice-president of Ford Australia operations, said."But there are several other reasons you have to examine before signing off on model such as a Focus diesel.

"You've got to ask if there is enough potential sales volume in a very congested segment of the market. Also, can you justify the marketing spend that you need to implement in order to tell people about a new model variant.

"So it is very much a marketing challenge as well as a price challenge."

Global demand of diesel passenger cars is on the rise. It is only in recent years that Ford, which once lagged behind in diesel technology, has arrived with strong designs.

Among the pluses for customers are bigger fuel range benefits and greater low-down torque.

"These pass strict emissions standards and are no longer the dirty, smelly, noisy diesels some people think they are," Crew said. "They are extremely well designed vehicles."

There is a lot to consider within the Ford brand at the moment including details of a neck-wrenching RS Focus powered by a twin-turbo charged 3-litre inline six-cylinder believed to have been tested in Scandinavia.

"There are plenty of options in the Ford world as you saw at the Melbourne Motor Show in March with the Focus Vignale concept convertible," Crew said.

As far as Ford Australia went with the current model Focus in terms of performance-based variants was bringing in the mildly hotted up ST170, a competitor to Holden's Astra turbo and Toyota Corolla Sportivo.
Quote taken from:
http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have one on Order as soon as it became official they were importing them. Particularly if it came attached to a wagon

Very interesting they are talking it up!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

I personally cant see the attraction to Diesel myself. Great to hear the range may be expanding, but give me fuel over diesel anyday.
Old 15-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel is more expensive than petrol at the moment. My knowledge was that diesel is less refined and therefore cheaper to produce so i would of thought it would be cheaper at the moment. Id say for it to be good though it needs a turbo.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I would go one as long as its a turbo model

TDCi is a sweet ride, fast and economical

Chris
Old 16-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
lincoln
Blinded

Great news. As long as Ford commit to diesel. They've got a habit of making half hearted attempts at niche models. The VW Golf locally has been a raging success, with demand far exceeding supply. The TDCI is a great powerplant that is shared with Peugeot and Citroen.

Diesel is more expensive but significantly more efficient. It emmits less C02, and is less energy intensive to refine. They engines are torquier than petrol and can be a lot of fun to drive. My folks have recently bought a Citroen C5 diesel and it's a hoot to drive. However, the fuel savings are only part of the equation, as the price premium often negates any cost benefits. It's the flexibility of the engine that has my attention. Ver impressive, IMO.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

SPOTTED!!

I SAW THE DEISEL EVALUATION MODEL AT THE PINES SHOPPING CENTRE LAST NIGHT!!!!

Now this thread has answered my question.

Last night I turn up at the Pines Shopping center last night in the fez, and becasue the car park was empty, I looked over, and a new silver focus (looked like a Zetec) caught my eye.

I drove straight over to it but then stopped, realising that this focus had a little silver TDCi badge on the tailgate. The other thing convincing me that this was no ordinary focus was the fact that it had a German Numberplate, and a german Rego windscreen sticker that I could not understand.

"Hmm what is it" I thought. Maybe a FEV? dont know. Anyways I waited aorund taking photos of it to make a thread (no point now as my questions have been answered in this thread), and hopefully the owner would come out and I could question him. But he didnt come out in time and i left.

PS the pics on my phone failed to come out. Night time mode is Krap....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Looking forward to the developments. Diesel over petrol all day any day.
Old 16-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They're South African plates. It's an LX by the look of it.
Old 16-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Post the pics.... even if they are crap quality!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 16-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
They're South African plates. It's an LX by the look of it.
How do you know, U havent even seen the pics??

By the way, i just went into the phone gallery and fkn hell, Bloody corrupted file!!!! What a joke, I hate Nokia...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
How do you know, U havent even seen the pics??
coz I've seen the car numb nuts : If it is indeed South African, then the "German" was probably Afrikaans, the dutch-derivative that they speak in Seth Effriker.
Old 16-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
coz I've seen the car numb nuts :

SO THERE IS A TDCi!!!!!!!! :

Old 16-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #14
RATT

That would be the best thing for Ford OZ to do. We should be the first in the segment and it will have a loyal but growing following.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I like you saw it out in public, on Sydney Road, nearly had a heart attack and crashed my car, then put 2 and 2 together and figured it's probably being tested. I figured it couldn't be anyone who'd bought a petrol and rebadged it, coz they aren't publicly available yet!! Try reading your media statement from the Exec Vice President, if he say Ford is evaluating one now then my guess is that's it. First I heard of it was when I clicked on this thread to see what was going on!
Old 16-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #16
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

A TDCi model is the only way Ford was going to tempt me into the new car.

I'm listening.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post