Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Midnite
Starter Motor

Default Fuel Consumption

No idea if this is new. I have a AU2 Fairmont Ghia 6 cyl ). By the fuel consumption gizmo ( tech term ) on dash my consumption keeps increasing. Are theses gizmos inaccurate or is my consumption really increasing. I do mainly short trips ( Harley for long )..... so hard to judge by odometer. Any words of wisdom welcome.

Old 19-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite
No idea if this is new. I have a AU2 Fairmont Ghia 6 cyl ). By the fuel consumption gizmo ( tech term ) on dash my consumption keeps increasing. Are theses gizmos inaccurate or is my consumption really increasing. I do mainly short trips ( Harley for long )..... so hard to judge by odometer. Any words of wisdom welcome.
They are OK but just a gimmmick. like a vacuum guage just use it to give you an idea. reset your trip meter every fill and divide litres taken by km to get
l/100km
e.g - car took 68.5 litres and you had done 526.7km
68.5 divided by 5.267 = 13.005 litres per 100km

The only reasonably consistant way to keep it all in check and when the milage changes you know its time to clean the filters.

Liquid Silver Pursuit250

Custom gear and diff ratios
ECU
Exhaust
Crow Comp. Valve springs
Adjust. Rollers
Cold air
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite
I have an au2 vct xr6, which is essentially the same as your monty ghia, my consumption calculator is the same, fuel consumption seriously does increase round town, but not to the degree it says it does. the calculator becomes ALOT more accurate on the highway. the best thing to do is simply ignore it and look at your fuel gauge, it tends to be more accurate in all driving situations.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your traffic is getting bad like it is in Melb lately your economy probably is goin down hill, been bumper to bumper goin to the city from northern burbs for some reason.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
changinghia
Starter Motor

I have the same problem with my AU series 1 V8 Fairlane. Its done 140000 k's regularly serviced and well treated with new plugs, new leads, new air filter all done at the last service along with oil and filter. Fuel filter changed within the last 12 months as well. Had the cats checked, one was a bit knackered so both replaced with hi-flos. Still no improvement. Rang around and was told by a tuner on the phone it could be o2 sensors so i swapped in some new bosch aftermarkets and reset the ecu but still the consumption is high. Until a month or so ago it was around the 13.5litres/100km on the trip computer but now it sits around 17.5litres/100km if i drive like a nun. A little energetic driving and it is pushing 20.0litres/100km and it is definitely running rich as the new chrome tip on my exhaust is black with deposits and I am getting less than 350-400k's to a 65 litre tank when i reset the trip and run it to empty. Im taking it for a long run up the freeway tonight. If that doesn't work then I'll be getting a flash tune, unless someone else who has experienced this has a decent solution.
changinghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

If it's running that rich then maybe the new O2 sensors aren't working properly? Or perhaps the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor or Intake Air Temperature sensor are knackered? If all the basics (plugs, leads, filters etc) are all good then it's probably worth having the computer scanned for DTC's to pinpoint any sensor malfunction.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
changinghia
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
If it's running that rich then maybe the new O2 sensors aren't working properly? Or perhaps the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor or Intake Air Temperature sensor are knackered? If all the basics (plugs, leads, filters etc) are all good then it's probably worth having the computer scanned for DTC's to pinpoint any sensor malfunction.
wouldn't any of those sensors malfunctioning light my dash up with warning lights ??
changinghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post