Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
nikos
mezzo forte

Default Possible earth point?

Evening chaps.

In my au1 I have an amp but no hu, so to turn the amp on I use a 12v line to the 'remote' via a switch. Basically until now I had a 12v line going into pin1 of a simple 2 pin switch, and the wire from pin2 went to the amp.

Anyways I bought a new switch with an LED!!!!

The new switch has 3 pins, I attached the diagram. I can't get the switch to close AND have the LED on simultaneously, with only two wires, so I'll need an earth (I think). Anyway the switch is mounted on the panel that holds the de-mister switch, can I just tap into it's earth? I believe the remote wire draws bugger all current so I don't think it'll overload the de-mister switch?

Also if anyone knows which of the 4 wires is the earth :P

Cheers

Last edited by nikos; 13-08-2016 at 05:50 PM.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Why not run the remote off your cars 12V power source (Cigarette lighter) so that the amp turns on automatically with the Key set to ACC?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this may be stupid on my half,if you have no HU (head unit ?) whats the point of a amp with no HU connected to it ?
shoot me down if u wish :-p
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordon
this may be stupid on my half,if you have no HU (head unit ?) whats the point of a amp with no HU connected to it ?
shoot me down if u wish :-p
Its most likely got more to do with the stock head unit not having a remote line to power an aftermarket amp. So by no HU he means aftermarket HU.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
nikos
mezzo forte

No I don't use an hu, just aux line for mp3 player. I don't want to use acc because its easier to make the switch, and I like listening to music when I switch off the car etc.
Old 17-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

k i get ya,
sorry im old fashion,i still use a HU,havent advanced to mp3 ipods yet hehe :-p
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
No I don't use an hu, just aux line for mp3 player. I don't want to use acc because its easier to make the switch, and I like listening to music when I switch off the car etc.
its simple, just pull out the cigarette lighter, and tap into the cable feeding it. A lot easier then making up some tacky switch. Then when you turn the key to accessory's (not necessarily turning the car on remember) it will power on.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

My current HU has no amp remote signal so I used the power antenna signal wire from the HU instead. Does the same job as it sends a signal even when not in radio mode.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

This is how 3 pin switch's, as per your new switch

That is for a negative earthed system. If you used a positive earthed system (ground switching) then you couldn't get the led to work.

The earth is only used to turn the led on, and is not needed for the switch to work as per normal.

As for earthing using demister switch, i would be hesistant only because of the way BEM turns things on. Much safe just to wire the earth to a bolt (perhaps a 10mm one that is behind the side panel of the dash on the drivers side : )

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #10
nikos
mezzo forte

XplosiveR6 and superroo I think I'll combine your advice. I know I need the earth to run the LED so maybe I'll grab that from the cig lighter, as it will never be used otherwise.

Cheers fellas