Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #121
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOJET
i'd say its a given that the V6 wont have the torque of the i6, gotta remember though it is displacing 4 litres. If the new engine change means the car is lighter then the decrease in torque shouldnt be very noticeable.. you're exactly right, looking at the new FG falcs i can't see any sane reason why anyone would buy the V8 versions... ford need a new v8 or drop it completely, even dropping it i cant see them losing much business and they could really focus on the 6's.
The weight difference between straight 6 and V6 will probably be in the region of 20-40 kg. Not really a massive difference.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #122
gtfpv
GT

why dont we just go magnetic ride . save on wheels and tyres . environmentaly friendly. no wearing mechanical componants, and neck snapping acceleration.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #123
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Geeze, this thread is all DOOM and GLOOM!!!! Just remember, FORD AUS is being handed what it can by the US. If Ford US continue with ecoboost, just maybe we'll never see a v8 again, i doubt this will happen but with FORD going global, whatever the yanks have, we'll have. It's simple!!!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #124
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
and what about About V8 Car racing that won't exist
All the V8 engines used in competition car racing are built from the ground up anyway aren't they ?? There is nothing factory stock about a V8 race engine and from articles I've read in the past, the majority of the big names are using engines that have been built and imported from O/S anyway, so I doubt it will make a lot of difference to the V8 race car scene. However, the idea of canning the V8 option in the Falcons still sucks !!!! :
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #125
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
All the V8 engines used in competition car racing are built from the ground up anyway aren't they ?? There is nothing factory stock about a V8 race engine and from articles I've read in the past, the majority of the big names are using engines that have been built and imported from O/S anyway, so I doubt it will make a lot of difference to the V8 race car scene. However, the idea of canning the V8 option in the Falcons still sucks !!!! :
(off topic somewhat) but if Ford dont sell V8s anymore, would they bother supporting the Supercars in any way? And what would the loss of sponsorship from Ford mean to the category?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #126
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
(off topic somewhat) but if Ford dont sell V8s anymore, would they bother supporting the Supercars in any way? And what would the loss of sponsorship from Ford mean to the category?

Not wanting to get into a heated debate over this but as long as they are still building the Falcon whether they have a factory fitted V8 under the hood or not shouldn't really affect the sponsorship for Supercars anyway ?? Let's face it the Supercars are a completely different package to the Falcons or Commodores that come off the showroom floor. As long as they keep building shells with the Ford or Holden logo on them and have the racing fans support there will always be willing sponsors. Just add a V8 engine and away you go !!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #127
ECOJET

another idea i think ford should of considered was/is implementing the 2.7L TDV6 from jag in the falc.... goes 0-100 in high 7s in the heavy jag and would get much better economy than the I6.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #128
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Yes I know that a supercar and a roadcar share a few panels and thats it, but I've always been under the impression that Ford sponsored the supercars for the flow on effect of selling performance models (predominantly V8s)

Id like to know how many Turbo enthusiasts are into their XR6T because of the V8 supercars. If there is a cheaper, more effective way of getting the message across, the bean counters will take it.

Hopefully it all works out fine (Ford gets Mustang V8 engines, and the Supercars keep tearing up the tarmac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Not wanting to get into a heated debate over this but as long as they are still building the Falcon whether they have a factory fitted V8 under the hood or not shouldn't really affect the sponsorship for Supercars anyway ?? Let's face it the Supercars are a completely different package to the Falcons or Commodores that come off the showroom floor. As long as they keep building shells with the Ford or Holden logo on them and have the racing fans support there will always be willing sponsors. Just add a V8 engine and away you go !!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #129
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nothing to me personally. I didn't buy my two Boss powered Falcons because of Supercar racing and I didn't sell them because of it either.

I have no connection with the cars in that competition, because they have nothing in common with the road cars I owned. Might as well been Skoda racing for all I cared.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #130
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The topic is FordOz dropping the V8 in the domestic market NOT Stupidcars ! so get over it.......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #131
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
The topic is FordOz dropping the V8 in the domestic market NOT Stupidcars ! so get over it.......
I haven't seen too many threads on any Forum that don't go slightly off topic !!! I don't really see this one being any worse than most and if you read the comments that have been made you would realise that the emphasis is still on the concerns for Ford Australia's future development in this country.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #132
turbo4me

I reckon the Turbo 6 will outsell the V8.

So the writing is on the wall (not only for Ford either) IMO
Old 02-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #133
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
If you want to point something out, can you do it without insults?
Can you 'get over' the fact weve mentioned the supercars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If it were to stay on after July 2010 it will need to be Euro 4 compliant. If Ford couldn't afford the R&D to make the straight 6 Euro 4 compliant spread over 60,000+ units, then what chance do FPV have of making the Boss Euro 4 compliant over less than 10,000 units. Come 2010 the Boss is dead, only the new Boss/Hurricane can replace it.
Do we know for sure when the US V8 will be ready? Or would Ford/FPV stockpile BOSS engined FGs for sale until the new V8 arrives? (if it does)

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 02-05-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #134
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4me
I reckon the Turbo 6 will outsell the V8.

So the writing is on the wall (not only for Ford either) IMO
It might for Ford, but not for FPV..... the GT will outsell the F6 quite comfortably.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #135
ECOJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
It might for Ford, but not for FPV..... the GT will outsell the F6 quite comfortably.
doubt that.... besides the oldschool bogan thought process of liking the sound of a V8 i cant see any sane reason you'd go the 8 over the turbo 6 right now.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #136
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
doubt that.... besides the oldschool bogan thought process of liking the sound of a V8 i cant see any sane reason you'd go the 8 over the turbo 6 right now.
and how many of the "high tech handgrenades" [ fords inhouse nick name] will out last the v8's. yes they are quick but how fragile are they.we had quite a few go through our workshop with either conrods going or heads splitting.never saw a boss and only a couple of old weezers.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #137
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really? the GT has been comfortably outselling the F6 by a factor of 2 to 1 for ages now... what makes you think much is going to change?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #138
Scott

Quote:
After spending a few days in an F6, and a few months out of my GT, I can say that today I blew 200km's of aimless driving in the GT after finally picking it up again.

During my time today, I had a guy at the servo, the female servo attendant, a car full of blokes at the lights and a woman at the shops all comment on the car. The effortless power, fantastic note and imposing presence get me every time I look at it - and obviously got a few other people today too. What a nice way to be reaquainted with my baby after the dramas of the past few months.

I love the F6 but its not quite a GT. My next car will probably be an FGF6 but it will be bitter sweet, they are just different cars.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #139
turbo4me

Over here Helen is talking about putting a tax of 10-15k on a new V8 (and i wont be surprised if she has a go at the six as well ) plus they reckon it wont be long before petrol hits $3 a litre. A lot of money to park in your garage and watch it depreciate.

I still reckon the old school is the way to go.

No way am i V8 bashing cause i reckon my six will be going the same way

JMHO
Old 04-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #140
ECOJET

Quote:
Really? the GT has been comfortably outselling the F6 by a factor of 2 to 1 for ages now... what makes you think much is going to change?
not doubting you but do u have the actual sales figures? id been keen to see the trend and im wondering if, as time progresses, the turbo cars are chasing in on the GT's figures.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #141
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Do we know for sure when the US V8 will be ready? Or would Ford/FPV stockpile BOSS engined FGs for sale until the new V8 arrives? (if it does)
Its due for the 2010 Mustang, which going by American parlance will be on sale in mid to late '09. Direct injection will supposedly be available 12 months later. The 5.0 is supposed to be around 300kw, while the DI version will have around 330kw.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #142
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
and how many of the "high tech handgrenades" [ fords inhouse nick name] will out last the v8's. yes they are quick but how fragile are they.we had quite a few go through our workshop with either conrods going or heads splitting.never saw a boss and only a couple of old weezers.
Good point.

Ford has been through all of this before. Remember they were going to kill the V8 in the Mustang in the 80's and replace it with a 2.3L turbo. Didn't quite work............

The cost of development has been done. I think we will see the BOSS for the next 2 years with no upgrades and a new V8 along with the V6 and Diesel in 2010.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #143
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Going off what I've heard about the Boss315, this won't change.

We know the F6 is quick, since it's little turbo brother has just demonstrated how lethal it is. The F6 has been tested in house at FPV with a driver on board and half a tank, 4.7 to 100. It's fast. But look out for the Boss315, it'll reel the huffer in by the end of the quarter.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #144
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Going off what I've heard about the Boss315, this won't change.

We know the F6 is quick, since it's little turbo brother has just demonstrated how lethal it is. The F6 has been tested in house at FPV with a driver on board and half a tank, 4.7 to 100. It's fast. But look out for the Boss315, it'll reel the huffer in by the end of the quarter.

400m, in high 12's . i dont think so.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #145
metalmania

Irrespective of power figures the V8 GT is KING and will always be KING.
metalmania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #146
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The GT doesn't need to be quicker over the 1/4 than the F6 to keep out selling it, people need to accept the majority of performance car buyers in this segment look a little deeper into their purchase than just 1/4 times..
BA and BF proved that.
The market or demand for V8 Aussie performance sedans is still stronger than that for turbo's by a long shot...
If FPV dropped the 8 they'd instantly loose atleast 65% of their business in one hit.

Old 18-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #147
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its due for the 2010 Mustang, which going by American parlance will be on sale in mid to late '09. Direct injection will supposedly be available 12 months later. The 5.0 is supposed to be around 300kw, while the DI version will have around 330kw.
Nice figures from a 302!
Fingers crossed this new engine silences the V8 critics!