Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The legalities of a purchase order? Are we bound by it?

Hi all,

Three weeks ago we found a car for the wife. It was a little more than we wanted to spend, but it was a lovely car and she fell in love with it. We were going to trade in her current vehicle, but needed more for the trade so we could pay out the car, so the dealer suggested we try to sell it privately as we should easily get the money we needed.

However we have had no success with selling the car privately so if we were to continue with the original purchase, we are going to have to find about three to four grand to get out of hers and get into the new one. Problem is, my job situation has since changed and we no longer have spare money to throw around to get out of one car and into another. I have never been happy with doing this kind of thing, anyway.

When we first saw the new car, we sent in a purchase order, at the dealer's request, to hold the new car while we tried to sell ours. But I think now, because of our circumstances, we need to get another, cheaper vehicle. Perhaps the same configuration but a few years older.

We have had a look at the dealer overnight and there is another, cheaper, option - (which is probably more practical anyway) - but I was wondering what the legalities of the purchase order is if we decide not to go with the original car, seeing as they have kept it off the market for us for three weeks.

Are we legally bound to the car or can we change our mind due to the changing circumstances?

I am not sure at this stage how the dealer is going to react...I just want to know my obligations/options in case something erupts.

I guess we would still be able to buy off him, but I am concerned that the other vehicle has been of the market because of us submitting the PO.

TIA

DS

Last edited by David See; 20-05-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 20-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

If a purchase order is to become a sign contract it must be stated somewhere in the terms and conditions.

The only way I can see it being binding if it was a "Contract". But if i was him I would've got my kicked for only having you sign a purchase order.
Old 20-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were no terms and conditions anywhere. All we did was email a letter on a business letterhead stating "this is an order for xxxx vehicle". Nothing has been signed apart from the letter we emailed to them.
Old 20-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

To see if your locked in or not all depends on the wording of anything you sent or signed.

But, you dont have spare cash right now, yet want to upgrade the car? Why? What is wrong with the car you have now?

If you have no spare money, get out of the purchase, save up a buffer of cash for a rainy day then start to think about the upgrade.

If you broke your leg or worse next week, the nice upgraded car won't pay for food while you sort yourself out financially.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Explain your situation to them, they might be happy or prepared to let you out if they can on sell the car without grief, at worst they might be entitled to go after you for the difference in sale price from your contract to the next sale if its less...

Old 20-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If you have no spare money, get out of the purchase, save up a buffer of cash for a rainy day then start to think about the upgrade.

If you broke your leg or worse next week, the nice upgraded car won't pay for food while you sort yourself out financially.
Not exactly the kind of advice I was after, but thanks anyway, Mum.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
bingoTE50
Steve

No signed contract no sale ...IMO ...
Sounds like you are looking to buy a different model off them .
If you do not tell them that and explain that you cannot afford the car as ordered at the said price ,they may renegotiate the pricing .Really depends on what it is you ordered and how popular it is for them to sell ! You are still in a position of strength as the buyer!
Old 20-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

David,
A little surprised to see you caught up in this, being a media fella . . .

Good luck.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 20-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
No signed contract no sale ...IMO ...
Sounds like you are looking to buy a different model off them .
Well, I thought that might have been an affordable option for us that would at least mean they sold a car.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
David,
A little surprised to see you caught up in this, being a media fella . . .

Good luck.
??? Sorry, don't see what that's got to do with it. :

But seeing as you remembered I am a media fella, you should also understand why my financial situation has changed in the last two weeks.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
bingoTE50
Steve

Dave you do not owe them a thing .This happens to them all the time .
When I bought my GT I signed a contract "subject to finance" .
They were surprised how easy I got finance , as they said , a very high percentile of punters who go for a GT get knocked back on finance !! Now you can read into that what you will , but the fact is loss sales are experienced daily , and as someone else said they should have locked you in with at least a contract , but even so ,you could have had subject to finance as a disclaimer . I do this every time I buy just in case !!
Old 20-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

If there's no signature there's no deal. I think you're fine to negotiate for the cheaper car. Hopefully the salesman is reasonable considering your position and won't try and bully you into believing you have to purchase the more expensive vehicle.
Old 20-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Since you have done an offer it could be a little different...because it is an offer to purchase, it a legal agreement to purchase the said car for the seller. I'd prob just go talk to them though.
Old 20-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
FPV 5TH

No signed contract No Sale. End of Story
Old 20-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it is an official compant PO with and abn it is technically enforcable but there are grey areas if things aren't done correctly . did you request a date of supply ? if not it is implied that you were ordering on the basis of immediate delivery and that time has now passed. did the po have itemised costing ? if not it becomes invalid. did you receive a return invoice detailing all costs ? if not they have not accepted you PO cancel before the invoice and it's unenforcable
the other issue it is normally seen as not worth the effort to go past a nasty letter

good luck

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 20-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

No deposit, No signed dealer contract(which is necessary for any dealer purchase as it sets out all the terms and conditions under the varying acts that dealers must comply with). I reckon you will have dodged the bullet, but talk to consumer affairs to confirm the act governing your state and its ramifications for your specific case.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 20-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

If you can commit to the other car straight away there should be no issues... As for the loss on the old car cant you just jack that into the finance on the new one?? I cant see whats wrong with doing that.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 20-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
Wally
XP Coupe

Gee I wish I could wriggle out of a contract as easy as has been suggested. P.O.s are a legal document and part of contract law.

Why do discussion forums always skew advice to the benefit of a member, even suggesting subdefuge as au3xr6 infers? At the other end of the agreement is another person who will be finanacially wronged by David if the deal falls through.

The two of three variables still applies with contracts, the two here are an instument of agreement and intent, consideration may not have been paid, but that wouldn't matter to a smart lawyer.
Old 21-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #19
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by David See
Not exactly the kind of advice I was after, but thanks anyway, Mum.
surely if you have so much cash laying around, your slight change in work circumstances should have minimal effect on your purchase decision. hey, maybe you should go for an FPV instead.

and you're paying cash for this car, right?

this might help you next time... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchase_order

as mum said, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. :
Old 21-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
even suggesting subdefuge as au3xr6 infers?
I find that offensive i have worked in car sales myself and what i was advising are all legal avenues open to David . I was not advising him how to draught a document in order to be able to get out of the sale I was telling him instances where the PO is not legally binding . In doing this I was only offering up advice on how he stands as he asked which after all is the topic of the thread ( your comment was actually off topic as it was not answering the question) and to suggest subterfuge ( spelt correctly here) is not only offensive but slanderous .

I would watch who I falsely accuse of wrong doing if I were you if you make a practice of this you will find yourself in court so fast your head will spin. An apology is in order here and I will be reporting your slanderous accusation to the admin team

Opinionated fools like you only serve to denigrate this forum. And I for one would prefer to see the number of members reduce than have to put up with idiots like you

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 21-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #21
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I find that offensive i have worked in car sales myself and what i was advising are all legal avenues open to David . I was not advising him how to draught a document in order to be able to get out of the sale I was telling him instances where the PO is not legally binding . In doing this I was only offering up advice on how he stands as he asked which after all is the topic of the thread ( your comment was actually off topic as it was not answering the question) and to suggest subterfuge ( spelt correctly here) is not only offensive but slanderous .

I would watch who I falsely accuse of wrong doing if I were you if you make a practice of this you will find yourself in court so fast your head will spin. An apology is in order here and I will be reporting your slanderous accusation to the admin team

Opinionated fools like you only serve to denigrate this forum. And I for one would prefer to see the number of members reduce than have to put up with idiots like you

I can just imagine you sitting at the computer, bolt upright, neck stiff, brow furrowed and typing two fingered at the rates of knots to get you own back. The indignation must have been all pervasive.

Stay with your selling cars and let the legal profession handle the legal advice, they're experienced in these matters. You know what you were trying to advise and so does anyone else reading your post.

David asked, in his OP, if he was legally bound by contract even though his financial position had changed and prima facie the dealer could act to enforce; they probably won't because David seems like a decent sought, but if he goes in trying to be a bush lawyer touting tenuous advice from a discussion board, things could turn nasty for him.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #22
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

signatures are not everything, it is my understanding that the car dealer just has to prove that there was a meeting of minds, whether written, verbally ect
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
Old 21-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #23
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Wally AU3XR6

Lets ALL just calm down before anyone declares Holy Jihad. This thread is full of enough legality without adding to the tonnage.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 21-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6

Perhaps you should take a leaf out of your own book, by thinking before you post sentences like your last one in the above post, instead of reporting each and every post only you seem to find offensive
Closed Thread