Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #31
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Next month they are introducing Paypal only unless picking up in person
correct and thats why the ACCC will find it is illegal it is anti competitive

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #32
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree it will be hard on honest sellers but unfortunately it only takes a couple of bad apples to spoil the barrel. We've been in the situation of sending money off, having the seller take off with the money, no goods received and the seller vanishing and untracable by ebay. This is apparently very common and is the reason for ebay dropping non paypal transactions to protect their reputation. Anti competitive my foot - its buyer protection basically. I will not now do any transaction without paypal.

Don't have a go at ebay, have a go at all the unscrupulous con artists in the world - they're the cause of it.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #33
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sell alot on ebay and I think this is the best thing they could do. Even from an honest sellers point of view it's great, sure it costs me a bit more in money but the time it saves is huge and well worth it just for that reason.

But there is alot of dodgyness on ebay that needs to be stopped, my brother bought a supposed geunine gibson guitar for $1500 that turned out to be a $200 fake and nothing could be done about it because the seller didn't list paypal on that item even tho they had paypal on all their other auctions. A lesson learned, lucky for my brother it's such a good fake that it sounds and plays perhaps better than the real thing so at least he can use it. But yeah paypal is good it's not like it's hard to link it to your bank account and then it's just the same thing but with security
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #34
jonohoang

they are also changing the feedback system...
Soon you can only leave feedback for sellers and not buyers...

So if you dont sell anything, you basically wont get any feedback points :(
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #35
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have a problem with the concept of paypal what i object to is having to pay an extra layer of fees . paypal should be exempt from fees if it is for an ebay transaction as you ave already paid 2 lots of fees . they can continue to charge for non ebay transactions. I for one will not be selling there anymore they are just money hungry and i will not support that.
dodgy traders could be dealt with by police report adequate proof of identity could be a part of signing up with ebay
It is anticompetitive as they will only accept their payment system they will not accept similar payment systems paymate for example so this is not about weeding out dodgy operators it is about EBAY being greedy scum
can't wait till the ACCC rip them a new one

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 28-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #36
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohoang
they are also changing the feedback system...
Soon you can only leave feedback for sellers and not buyers...

So if you dont sell anything, you basically wont get any feedback points :(
no you can leave positive feedback for a buyer but not negative or neutral . so you will still get feedback points

Rides:

Old 28-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #37
ch33z1l
Dawn

Thought I would also let everyone know, trading post is launching an online auction house.
http://apcmag.com/trading_post_cures...ction_site.htm
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #38
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
Thought I would also let everyone know, trading post is launching an online auction house.
http://apcmag.com/trading_post_cures...ction_site.htm
looks like it could work but i wonder how long before it catches on
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #39
3vXT

I've only ever sold using paypal and registered post. I take that into consideration when deciding on a price to list something and if its too much then people shouldn't bid, I've sold everything i've listed though.

What bothers me more than any sort of compulsory Paypal involvement is the idiots that bid on my listings that clearly say 'ONLY PAYPAL AND REGISTERED POST' and 'PLEASE READ THIS AND CONSIDER BEFORE BIDDING' , and then they message me after they've won, asking if they can transfer the money straight to my bank account, and/or can they pick the item up Sunday at 4.52pm. READ THE LISTING YOU STUPID RETARDS!

end rant/

EDIT: In short, from my experience, its the people that use EBAY and PayPal that cause all the problems, not the fees. And yes, i know that without those people, EBAY and PayPal wouldn't survive, but they can afford to lose a few of the mouth breathers and still get by ok.

Last edited by 3vXT; 29-05-2008 at 04:20 PM.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #40
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I agree it will be hard on honest sellers but unfortunately it only takes a couple of bad apples to spoil the barrel. We've been in the situation of sending money off, having the seller take off with the money, no goods received and the seller vanishing and untracable by ebay. This is apparently very common and is the reason for ebay dropping non paypal transactions to protect their reputation. Anti competitive my foot - its buyer protection basically. I will not now do any transaction without paypal.

Don't have a go at ebay, have a go at all the unscrupulous con artists in the world - they're the cause of it.
it still does not make it right to force this option upon ebay user's it should be a volantary option not do as we say and be done with it option
Old 29-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #41
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford

it still does not make it right to force this option upon us ebay user's. It should be a volantary option not a do as we say and be done with it option .What are we We are ebay user's and therefore we are customer's remember the old saying the customer is alway's right therefore if ebay managment keep forcing there rule's and regulation's upon there customer's in the short time they wont have any people will source another option's or someone will be clever enough to start up another site with better option's to use so i hope ebay realise what they are doing and fix the problem now before it kill's them, and as far as getting ripped of well unfortunatly that's way it goes shyte happen's but most people are honest but i suppose that dont help the people out of pocket but that's the chance you take i for one have not had this happen to me but it might one day bad luck for me
Old 30-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #42
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This has been news for MONTHS.

Ebay want to streamline operations and make as much money on the side.

Sellers also cannot leave negative feedback anymore.

Oztion.com.au is a newish auction site. Check it out.

The only reason I don't use Paypal is it takes a bloody week to get my money from my Bank Account to my Paypal account, and I can't take that long. If it were faster, I would use it. Paypal offers protection.

Admittedly, I have never had a problem with anybody on Ebay, which I have used since 2002. I also used Sold.com.au.

Looking at people's feedback is important. If they've incurred a lot of recent negative feedback, it may be best to avoid them.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #43
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

The only reason I don't use Paypal is it takes a bloody week to get my money from my Bank Account to my Paypal account, and I can't take that long. If it were faster, I would use it. Paypal offers protection.
you do realise you dont actually have to take money from your bank and add it to your paypal balance dont you?
if your bank account is connected with your paypal account (which it should be) then you just make the payment as normal - even though your paypal balance is $0.00 - and it will take it from your bank and credit it to the seller.
this is how my account works as i dont have a credit card.
people i pay in Australia get paid instantly.
people overseas get sent an Echeck and it takes 4 days for it all to clear.
there are one or 2 people in the U.S i regularly buy from and my payment clears instantly with them.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 02:22 AM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you do realise you dont actually have to take money from your bank and add it to your paypal balance dont you?
if your bank account is connected with your paypal account (which it should be) then you just make the payment as normal - even though your paypal balance is $0.00 - and it will take it from your bank and credit it to the seller.
this is how my account works as i dont have a credit card.
people i pay in Australia get paid instantly.
people overseas get sent an Echeck and it takes 4 days for it all to clear.
there are one or 2 people in the U.S i regularly buy from and my payment clears instantly with them.
Ahh cheers.

I will test it on my next purchase.
I have verified my account (ages and ages ago) so I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers Dav. BIg help.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #45
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
This is the bit I have a problem with.

While no doubt compulsory Paypal option is just a money grab, it offers buyer protection, and for a seller, it means you receive payment much quicker than transfers.

Sellers not being able to leave negative feedback is not a great step IMO. Yes it will stop dishonest sellers retaliating to negative feedback from buyers they've ripped, with their own bogus negative feedback, it also means you won't get a complete understanding of a persons feedback.

Quite a few times, I've scanned bidders feedback comments, noticed they're bad buyers and cancelled their bids based on this, to save me having to relist should they win and not follow through with the sale.

There are many, many bad buyers, and removing the negative feedback will protect these people.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #46
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I won't use it as much, I sell a fair bit and don't like the idea of keeping hundreds of dollars in my paypal account. And, withdrawing under $150 attracts more fee's. I'll be putting my prices up a few dollars when it comes in.

About paypal being faster - I beg to differ. I'd prefer bank deposit anyday!
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #47
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Paypal is way slower to get your money, I sold a flash2 tuner during the week, although the money showed inpaypal the next day, it took another 3 days to show into our account. bank transfers show the next day.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #48
rodderz

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-29277,00.html

new system halted for moment
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #49
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took Davway's advice and set up my PayPal account PROPERLY.

It takes 3-5 days for money to clear from my account, (it's 1 day with Direct Deposit), but I KNOW that people aren't going to run off with my cash.

I think that it also limits complications with auctions. If something goes wrong, funds are easy to recover whereas with direct deposit, there is no protection.

Although I was initially against it, I think limiting choice to PayPal or pickup only is ok.

If people pay via other methods and lose their money, Ebay should make it clear that the responsibility is on the buyer.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 13-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #50
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont mind paying with paypal, as there is no buyers fees.
Its only being the seller that makes it less than worthwhile. Not only you are hit with more and more ebay fees, you're now hit with paypal fees also. Double dipping FTL.

Lets hope the ACCC stops them
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #51
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
HOORAY FOR THE ACCC
Old 13-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #52
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the sounds of thing, if the Paypal seller fees are dropped, there should not be a problem.
There should be NO penalty to anybody for using PayPal. The Ebay fees are enough already.

I guess I understand you XR6 Martin when you say double dipping...that's a completely diferrent issue now. If Ebay drop the PayPal fees for sellers, then I don't have a problem.

Pity that Ebay customer service is dreadful too.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 13-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #53
BAWagonWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Paypal is way slower to get your money, I sold a flash2 tuner during the week, although the money showed inpaypal the next day, it took another 3 days to show into our account. bank transfers show the next day.
really hate waiting so long to get money transfered into my account from paypal. they definately need a quicker system.

they're very quick to take money from your bank account but very slow to put money back in.
BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #54
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
On the flipside of this, it stops dodgy sellers from leaving malicious remarks WITH a negative feedback, which some do not deserve as such, like myself, in a previous buy on eBay. I left honest NEUTRAL feedback and bam, there goes my 100% positive feedback, just because they didn't like the idea of me being sus about their operations. I paid promptly as per all my other transactions on the site, and there was nothing negative on either side. Ultimately, I agreed to mutually withdraw my feedback, being sick of being slagged with something I didn't deserve, because it was potentially exposing the seller for what they might have really been worth. At least eBay's eliminated this problem in their system by introducing that new rule.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #55
boss-290

Yes!

Looks like eBay are going to lose this one.

Still. This doesn't mean Paypal isn't mandatory. We still have to offer it.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #56
photn
AFF Post NAZI

why dont you just list COD and in your listing say, will accept Bank deposit, Money order or cheque. and at the end of the auction give them the relative details.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #57
boss-290

The trouobe with that is, you have to provide an email address for paypal before you submit a listing.

What if the buyer sends payment?
Old 17-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #58
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Latest from Ebay:

Quote:
AN IMPORTANT UPDATE

As you may be aware, a number of changes were scheduled to come into effect on eBay.com.au on 17 June 2008.

Most of these changes have been delayed by almost one month and are now scheduled to commence on 15 July 2008.

PayPal Buyer Protection will still increase to $20,000 on 17 June 2008.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU? - SELLING:

Current policies regarding accepted payment methods still apply. This means PayPal is required on all listings on eBay.com.au. Other payment methods (i.e. bank deposit, cheque/money order) may also be offered until 15 July 2008.

As previously communicated any listings that do not comply with eBay's Accepted Payments Policy will be removed. We strongly recommend that in order to ensure your listings comply with the Accepted Payments Policy you remove any details of payment methods other than PayPal or pay on pick up within the item description. Listings that have other payment methods offered within the payment options field will be allowed to expire as these options will not be displayed to buyers from 15 July 2008.

There are a small number of categories where PayPal is not mandatory. There are also some categories that do not qualify for PayPal Buyer and Seller Protection. Learn more about these excluded categories.

BUYING:

As mentioned PayPal Buyer Protection will still increase to $20,000 on 17 June 2008.

To ensure you benefit from PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy, eBay strongly recommends you use PayPal when paying for your purchases on eBay.com.au.

From 15 July 2008 the available payment methods will be limited to PayPal, Visa/MasterCard, or pay on pick up.

The decision to delay these changes was made by eBay following the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) draft notice issued on Thursday 12 June 2008.

eBay released a media statement on Friday 13 June regarding the ACCC's draft notice.

Read eBay's statement and community announcement.

Please note that some of our onsite communications will still refer to changes taking place on 17 June 2008. These communications are being updated and should reflect the new date of 15 July 2008 within the coming days.

Regards

The eBay Team
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post