Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
mc_konazz
Camry Menace

Default XR4 Mod - Warranty issues + Towbar

Hey all.

Looks like i'm getting an XR4 - just gotta wait for work to approve the lease.

My question is, is there any way to add kilowatts, but keep the warranty intact? i.e. would putting an different air filter on void warranty - should note that my old man is a mechanic, and so are 2 other friends... so if need be, i could reinstall the factory stuff???

Can also someone give a run down of mods that can be done, and what the cost would be? I'm not talking XTREME ones - just keeping it under say total $5k!

Finally (should of asked the dealer - but they probably wouldn't know why) you can't get a factory towbar fitted on the XR4... i assume the kit? Anyone know if it can be done aftermarket... in sydney... don't want to ruin the body by some amateur doing it.... I really need the towbar for my bike rack - as I carry other stuff on the roof (surf boards etc). I could do the practical thing, and use my girlfriends car/my camry which my little brother is getting ... but i want to drive my XR4 EVERYWHERE!!!

MK

mc_konazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey man, welcome to the forum. Good decision on getting the XR4... it's got good value for money. What colour?

Regarding mods, minor mods like air-filters, springs, cat-back exhaust shouldn't void the new car warranty BUT Ford can use the mods as means to "wiggle" out of the warranty IF the mods are related to the problem on the car.

As for the tow bar, hmm... I dunno anything about that... sorry. I dunno anyone that fitted towbar in their XR4s.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
mc_konazz
Camry Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Hey man, welcome to the forum. Good decision on getting the XR4... it's got good value for money. What colour?

Regarding mods, minor mods like air-filters, springs, cat-back exhaust shouldn't void the new car warranty BUT Ford can use the mods as means to "wiggle" out of the warranty IF the mods are related to the problem on the car.

As for the tow bar, hmm... I dunno anything about that... sorry. I dunno anyone that fitted towbar in their XR4s.
I'm completely new to car tuning... been driving a camry for 5 odd years... and its performed liked a stunner with the V6 (so far 220,000km on the clock - not a single fault yet - except damage caused by myself!)

Would really like to know:
a) where to get mods done, or buy - like air filters etc.
b) is the gain in power worth the expenditure?
c) what does it cost?
d) what order to do them in to keep costs low

and finally

e) what the hell is it.... (remember -i'm new to 'cars' in general - i'm an accountant!) eg. "cat back" exhaust...
Old 13-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
mc_konazz
Camry Menace

forgot to say... if work says car is ok, then will have blue w/ white stripes (and get the side stripes done aftermarket), otherwise i'll go for the white (and put side stripes on as well), if no stripes allowed!!!

Really would like to know about the towbar... as i really don't want to around with trying to mount 3 bikes onto the roof... and risk of scratching!
Old 13-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Hey mate, I use a Thule rack for my bikes (holds 3 bikes). Clips onto the hatch solid as, not like a strap on one (chortle). Only prob might be your rear spoiler, bigger than the Zetec one.
Old 14-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Im regards to warranty it really depends on the dealer, ive never had a problem with my local dealer Thompson Ford.

Ive been in for warranty twice and both times it was the gearbox. The second time the car have a BMC CDA fitted and they had no issue fixing the slave cylinder. Having said that warranty is a thing of the past for me :(
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Mind you piotr you have a 1.6 zetec. just so he doesnt get confused. :P

In regards to mods.

id Suggest either a Bluefin or a Dreamscience unit, which retunes your ECU to give you more response and power. It also stores your orignial ECU program so that you can turn it back to stock when ever you want. It takes about 10 sec to do. and trust me its easy as p!ss to do. Bluefin is like $800+ and Dreamscience is $1000+.
You can pick up the Bluefin from places in AUS and you have to order the Dreamscience from the UK.

Um an intake, You replae the air filter with a new one. or you can replace the entire Intake system with a Cold Air Intake. Which basically sucks cold air from under the car and give you more responsiveness and power.anyware from $100-$500

A cat back exhaust will set you back about $300ish and will give you a good sound (what ever sound you wish) and a good power/responsiveness gain.

Need any more info just PM me or visit www.fordfiestaxr4.com and ask the questions there. Every one is very helpfull

in regards to the bike thingy. KiwiJohn42 has a wicked bike rack without the use of the tow bar. keeps the car looking very sexxy

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
mc_konazz
Camry Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Um an intake, You replae the air filter with a new one. or you can replace the entire Intake system with a Cold Air Intake. Which basically sucks cold air from under the car and give you more responsiveness and power.anyware from $100-$500

A cat back exhaust will set you back about $300ish and will give you a good sound (what ever sound you wish) and a good power/responsiveness gain.
How much power would i gain from these two mods... shouldn't be a problem with warranty either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
in regards to the bike thingy. KiwiJohn42 has a wicked bike rack without the use of the tow bar. keeps the car looking very sexxy
As above from kiwijohn42- the spoiler might be an issue... i've tried using a clip on with my car ATM, but simply don't trust it. And three bikes mountain bike would be a stretch to fit them on. I'd love to know whether its possible to get the square hitch on... but thats definetly cutting in to kit!... but at least not as visible!
Old 15-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

id say anyware between 10-15hp. and a whole lot of responsiveness.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

I'd suspect Ford would have a big thing to say about fitting an aftermarket towbar to the car against your warranty... if you fitted one. Pure speculation on my behalf but I've seen Dealers be real pains in the about doing warranty work if they want to.

If you need to tow something then you really shouldn't be looking at the XR4.

Photn really knows his stuff about the Fiesta so there is some good advice there. There are some tuners popping up in AU now for Dreamscience so if you have any queries drop me a line and i might be able to help you make the connection.

Cheers,
Miyagi
Old 17-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
mc_konazz
Camry Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi
If you need to tow something then you really shouldn't be looking at the XR4.
I don't want to tow anything - i just don't trust carrying my bikes on the clip on racks... On weekends i need to carry three bikes and i don't think i'd fit all 3 of them on a clip on! The square hitches lets me get a bike rack for 4 bikes, so i can space them out a bit more (wish i'd know that before i got the normal tow ball installed one on my current car!)

Thanks for the advice on the Dreamscience tuner... probably go with an airfilter at first... as the tuner is a big jump in $$$ from $400 odd dollars for the filter! But after that, i might need to contact you!
Old 17-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

What kind of bikes do you want to carry? XC or DH/Freeride? My Thule is rated to 45kg, so 3 XC bikes is not a problem on it.
Old 15-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
zabatron

Default genuine ford towbar on XR4-I got one

Hi..I just bought a brand new xr4(red with white stripes) and the dealer had no trouble fitting a genuine ford towbar prior to me taking delivery.Minor cutting of grey rear bumper trim involved(this part is separate to rear bumper)but hardly noticable.I do not wish to tow anything with my car but would like to get a bike rack at some stage.Hope this helps.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Great news zabatron, great news! Towbar problem solved WITH a genuine part!

As for engine and performance mods, any mods risks warranty but normally air filters and exhausts don't cause too many problems.

To be completely honest, if you're coming out of a V6 Camry, despite the Quad Cam V6 being a decent unit, you're going to be BLOWN away by the XR4 and it seriously doesn't need any extra power. It's easily the best bang for bucks under $25k and there's no need to spend any great deal of money on the car for mods, it's virtually perfect as is.
Old 15-07-2008, 05:16 AM   #15
Dreamscience
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Support

We are also on this forum if anyone needs help or advice with any XR5 or XR4 queries and pretty soon we will be offering the Mondeo XR5 devices

JaredS

Last edited by Dreamscience; 15-07-2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Dreamscience is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Jared,

Great to see you on the Australian Forums. Welcome
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
JayD

I have fitted a factory towbar to my Fiesta Zetec, and towed a fully laden 6x4 Trailer from Melbourne to Brisbane and back with no real drama's, apart from the d*%#head ford trained technicians not tightening the mount bolts properly...but thats another story, so I assume there wouldn't be a problem with the XR4
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post