Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Sportswagon AD V FG AD

The Sportswagon ad tells you about the car and its features whereas the FG ad tells you diddly squat. And FORD will wonder why the FG isn't selling ?
Get a new marketting department, FORD ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 22-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

they need to advertise for it ,cause it wont sell to well. no market, but i know what your saying .
Old 22-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Fords later FG advertisements tell you more about the vehicle, that was their idea, drip feed info...

Cheers.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Fords later FG advertisements tell you more about the vehicle, that was their idea, drip feed info...

Cheers.
I too have noticed this, the 'finger' ads now, are more extensive than before, showing more information, and more of the car itself, and at the same time less fingers, I think the Ute ads though are fantastic
Old 22-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The Sportswagon ad tells you about the car and its features whereas the FG ad tells you diddly squat. And FORD will wonder why the FG isn't selling ?
Nothing new here...I've talked to 3 dealers re the FG sales and they all said that things aren't NEARLY as good as they'd like it to be. Stay tuned, they'll probably be bringing back the "blue suit brigade" ads before long : . Ford marketing department...useless as an ashtray on a motorbike : .

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree the ute ads are great !! The sedan ads aren't and need to be improved .
Old 22-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford utility advertisements have generally always been pretty good...

The sedans are an entirely different story...

I don't watch much television so I don't see the sedan commercials often, but I have seen the utility commercial and think it's great...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz
Nothing new here...I've talked to 3 dealers re the FG sales and they all said that things aren't NEARLY as good as they'd like it to be. Stay tuned, they'll probably be bringing back the "blue suit brigade" ads before long : . Ford marketing department...useless as an ashtray on a motorbike : .
I don't think sales of Falcon have much do with advertising, there are other factors affecting sales such as petrol prices, bad customer service from dealers (Toyota as much i hate to say it have a much better dealer network than Ford)and generally not delivering cars that customers want.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Starter Motor

Its about time that Ford started to advertise that they have been in Oz a lot longer than Holden. Or start to target the grey nomads and point out that the FG has the largest towing capacity in its class (Toyota 1600kg Holden 2100kg) and and better fuel consumption than its nearest competitor or any 4x4. The advertising firm that they use is not very creative at all. Ford has won the last two Bathurst 1000 and the only spin I seen was Murph missed out on winning by .4 sec not that he came 4th and from Ford nothing. They have a good product but bad advertising.
70773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I don't think sales of Falcon have much do with advertising, there are other factors affecting sales such as petrol prices, bad customer service from dealers (Toyota as much i hate to say it have a much better dealer network than Ford)and generally not delivering cars that customers want.
I agree completely. Holden are not much better in that regard... but generally better than Ford in aftersales service.
Old 23-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Fords ads are brilliant compared to the new Honda Accord ad.
You see less of the car then in the Ford Ad.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I like the accord ad it's clever and alot of people have commented on that, the fg ad on the other hand pfft thought up by a two year old
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford ad's = poo. They definately do not make you want to rush out and buy a Ford. I think they even do the opposite in that they are corny and keep people away.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Cheers.
They should get rid of the DRIP that thought up the FG ads and just feed us the info...
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
Pistol
pistol

Default Has ford done a major face lift to its wagon

If ford don't do a full change on the wagon they may as well put their heads in the sand , i'm ford through & through but i must addmit the new holden wagon is a good looking car i dont like the looks of the sedan thats my choice
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol
If ford don't do a full change on the wagon they may as well put their heads in the sand , i'm ford through & through but i must addmit the new holden wagon is a good looking car i dont like the looks of the sedan thats my choice
They should've named it the commodore hatch because apart from the tailgate, the only difference to a sedan is that the rear seat folds down. An absolute waste of an effort. There is bugger all room in the rear of it and it doesn't constitute a station wagon by Australian standards.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #17
Sloth

Anyone seen the new epica ad? It's a similar 'soft' style as the FG ads with an emphasis on family, with lots of people shots. Very different to what I've seen from Holden in the past. It mentions a lot of features and really makes a point of trying to sell the car.
Old 24-07-2008, 03:04 AM   #18
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
They should've named it the commodore hatch because apart from the tailgate, the only difference to a sedan is that the rear seat folds down. An absolute waste of an effort. There is bugger all room in the rear of it and it doesn't constitute a station wagon by Australian standards.
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the pics....

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
Boss 330
miss my V8

Quote:
So potentially that is why it is called a sportwagon not a stationwagon? :togo:
Boss 330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The market segment that the Falcon is part is shrinking faster than the PM's credibility. Ford must do far more to sell the car, they need to get bums on seats for a drive. If they can do this I think they may sell more units. They also do have an uphill battle against rubbish like the green house and speculators keeping the price of oil high, but at least try and win the few buyers left with some decent television commercials.

Holden ads I must say are far more appealing. The Ford ute ad though is pretty cool.
Old 27-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

how can you say one ad is better than another unless you have sales figures directly generated by the ads to back things up. just because you think an ad is good or bad or otherwise doesn't mean its not doing the job its designed to do.

does anyone know the sales figures generated by tv advertising. maybe ford's statistics show that its not worth spending large amounts in that area. i don't know. just a thought.

wagon sales have been on the decline since the start of the soft roader increase. Ford now only offers an xt wagon as its main buyer is the sales rep. not worth building a variety of models if they don't sell. mitsi and toyota both ended their wagons a while ago. it will be interesting to see how the holden sportwagon sells but i doubt whether it will be anything for any other manufacturers to be concerned with.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #22
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70773
Its about time that Ford started to advertise that they have been in Oz a lot longer than Holden. Or start to target the grey nomads and point out that the FG has the largest towing capacity in its class (Toyota 1600kg Holden 2100kg) and and better fuel consumption than its nearest competitor or any 4x4. The advertising firm that they use is not very creative at all. Ford has won the last two Bathurst 1000 and the only spin I seen was Murph missed out on winning by .4 sec not that he came 4th and from Ford nothing. They have a good product but bad advertising.
Totaily agree 70773, Ford advertising is just pathetic. Why can't they brag about their current fuel economy, or the all new design features, or the history of the company in Australia, or the highest australian content in their cars, or their class leading handling, or their home built engines, or their great towing capacity, or their on track successes, or their Aussie engineuty (SP?), or their smooth engines. etc...

And to top off what is allready a meagre TV ad campain. They totally balls up their V8 Supercar program by uncerimoniously dumping, not only, one of the most sucessful teams they ever had (888) but also one of their most loyal (DJR).

I think the Ford Advertising department must be a real life version of that fake US advertising firm that the commonwealth Bank are currently using. Those morons don't have a clue.

My BF GT is easily the most satisfying car I have ever owned. I thought the Territiory was great, but the GT tops it.

Ford Australia, Great cars. let down by Crap advertising. Don't get me started on dealership mechanics.....
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Totaily agree 70773, Ford advertising is just pathetic. Why can't they brag about their current fuel economy
Surely a bad move? Hear ye, hear ye, buy a Falcon and get 4l/100km worse than the smaller cars that everyone else is running away from us to buy...!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #24
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes fuel use is an evil word at the moment, but do you think the average punter has any idea how much the current crop of falcons have improved over the last few years?

Remember I am talking horses for courses. Better fuel economy than its direct competitors.

EG; Did you know that the new FG range, now at Ford, deliver a smooth powerful inline six that returns better fuel economy than its V6 rivals. Not something the competition likes to talk about.
Old 28-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Totaily agree 70773, Ford advertising is just pathetic. Why can't they brag about their current fuel economy, or the all new design features, or the history of the company in Australia, or the highest australian content in their cars, or their class leading handling, or their home built engines, or their great towing capacity, or their on track successes, or their Aussie engineuty (SP?), or their smooth engines. etc...

And to top off what is allready a meagre TV ad campain. They totally balls up their V8 Supercar program by uncerimoniously dumping, not only, one of the most sucessful teams they ever had (888) but also one of their most loyal (DJR).
Taking away the fuel economy bit, in all seriousness the Australian public couldn't give a stuff about the Falcon being Aussie or the Australian content. If seems to be the enthusiats justifying their purchase of the car. If people were really patriotic we wouldn't have buy Australian ads on TV.

The aussie buyer is looking for cheap running costs and reliability and bang for buck. Holden and Ford have poor reputation when i comes to this. You can advertise till the cows come home but it will take a while for people to see how much the Aussie cars have come along (just like the Japanese cars had to do in the past).
Old 28-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #26
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden don't mind pushing the Aussie content line, and it works for them. I like to buy Aussie products. For a similar product, given a choice, wouldn't you prefer aussie content?

It is hard swaying opinion, but that dosen't mean Ford should give up trying. IMO the virtues of the new Falcon are just not out there.

There is a barrage of Holden and Toyota advertising. Seems they sell more cars than Ford Australia ATM. A lot to do with perception of the Brand, which is helped along by advertising until the cows come home I reckon.
Old 28-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #27
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think the smaller wagon is the smartest thing Holden could have done (besides a shorter wheelbase hatch) A whole heap of people that bought VE's are looking to change them for a wagon just because it looks so very cool , I'm sure it will sell very well esp the SS and Calais versions. Not many people I've talked to would take the sedan over the wagon at the moment, it's a real do anything kind of car. Whats that add with the guy flying through the country, the first few cuts in that (the well done ones) give me goose bumps but I can't even remember what car it's advertising right now, but I'm sure I would if I was interested in buying a new car, it's by far the best car add I've seen lately
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #28
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden know how to appeal to the masses, they do it time and time again.

Ford have been making some really good cars lately not that anyone would know!
Old 28-07-2008, 08:03 AM   #29
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Yes fuel use is an evil word at the moment, but do you think the average punter has any idea how much the current crop of falcons have improved over the last few years?

Remember I am talking horses for courses. Better fuel economy than its direct competitors.

EG; Did you know that the new FG range, now at Ford, deliver a smooth powerful inline six that returns better fuel economy than its V6 rivals. Not something the competition likes to talk about.
Pitting it against its direct competitors WRT fuel economy, who are also experiencing a serious decline in sales, is going to do sqadoosh. You're now essentially giving the message... ok, we're all thirsty but at least ours is slightly less thirsty. Given the difference in fuel economy, do you think the average family who does 20,000km will care about ~$350/year less in fuel?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #30
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
But have you noticed that since the introduction of the FG series, Holden,s add,s have been more mature, the add actually tells you why you should buy a holden, not the absolute boyish crap they were inundating the t.v screen with so morons could lap it up. It tells me something, they are dead scared of this new product FORD has produced, and so they should be, cause its 1 awesome car...keep watching............ :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post