Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default chrome paint sniffer walks right past 5 police!

Was in Melbourne the other day, if you are a regular in the city, you will see new police being taught how to control traffic. They try to help you through the hook turns etc.

Anyway, I was waiting to turn left from Elizabeth st, there were at least 5 cops on the footpath, when a bloke breathing on a plastic bag full of chrome paint walks right past them, they did nothing!!!?!!! Are you allowed to do that? the guy looked way out of it. Surely the cop teachers could have shown the new ones how to arrest someone? instead of, well not doing anything real helpful.

Useless I think.

(Ive never seen anyone doing that before, I felt like getting out of my car and pointing at him in front of the cops)

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

What's the offence for inhaling paint fumes in Melbourne? Have they got an offence for it, yet?

EDIT - Most states haven't got a law in place for possessing paint, for the purpose of inhaling. I think it's one of these social things that the government hasn't bothered ruling against.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah stupid hey! something there should be an offence for and they dont! oh i know why! even if they do charge./fine them, they would never see any money from it....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
nang3

one thing i have noticed (with no racism intended) here in perth is that if the said glue/petrol/chromepaint sniffer or street drinker is of caucasian descent, they will usually be made to pour out the offending item and/or fined for street drinking.. yet if they are of aboriginal descent, the police will turn a blind eye, possibly to reduce the chance of being accused of racism.
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

It's Victoria. They're teaching them how to nab the most evil of criminals: those doing 3 or more km/h over the limit.

People inhaling toxic fumes who could then cause others harm are low on the priority list. :P
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A paint sniffer is a person who cant afford booze. Its digusting i dunno how anyone could possibly think it looks good. Some chick did it down the coast in front of me once i just said " F**k off you crack head".
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
Kryton

sinffing paint isnt really an offense but im pretty sure that walking around in a public place off your head is.
at the very least they should have shoved him in the squad car and taken him home.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 02:20 AM   #8
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

If said paint sniffer keeps sniffing paint he'll get what's coming to him sooner rather than later. Perhaps they were hoping he stumbled infront of a tram.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nang3
one thing i have noticed (with no racism intended) here in perth is that if the said glue/petrol/chromepaint sniffer or street drinker is of caucasian descent, they will usually be made to pour out the offending item and/or fined for street drinking.. yet if they are of aboriginal descent, the police will turn a blind eye, possibly to reduce the chance of being accused of racism.
Exact same situation in Darwin. I've been there a few times for business and I noticed the coppers load up the aboriginies in the paddy wagon and drop them off to the out skirts of the CBD, then cruise back in for another load. They do it so tourist aren't put off obviously, otherwise they tend to sit around the shops and stuff in groups getting ****ed and high.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 03:21 AM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it does sh!t me somewhat how some races play the racism card. If your doin the wrong thing then your doin the wrong thing. Doesnt matter what race you are the punishment should be the same. I remember one of my mates saying "its cause im a chocko isnt it?" or something along those lines. The response was "oh get over it why dont you" lol. It also sh!ts me when you fill out some forms it asks you if your of aboriginal or torres strait islander decent. WTF does it matter what that just elevates it all. It shouldnt matter.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

We were actually talking about the paint sniffing the other day in art class. Its not good for you thats for sure. We had to laugh though as we do our art classes in a shed with a heater and we all agreed on one thing. If you turn up to class unhappy you certainly walk away feeling very happy. Although that could be the good company too. How on earth they do any of that stuff amazes me as it just ruins yourself and your family.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
Exact same situation in Darwin. I've been there a few times for business and I noticed the coppers load up the aboriginies in the paddy wagon and drop them off to the out skirts of the CBD, then cruise back in for another load. They do it so tourist aren't put off obviously, otherwise they tend to sit around the shops and stuff in groups getting ****ed and high.
i lived in darwin for 2 years, just go down to the palmerston shopping centre and you'll see for yourself, and who really cares if there walkin around sniffin paint, as long a there not doing any harm to anyone else, let them kill themselves.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

I work in a building in melbourne on an intersevtion that the police use to teach.
I stood there once waiting for the 'green man' (not wanting to get done for jaywalking). I witness 3 laws get broke in 30 seconds and the police did nothing. it would appear that if they are teaching they don't have to enforce the law.

I couldn't/don't believe it.

Then they wonder why there are so many incidence in the CBD!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you think about it there might be one cop there with a bunch of students; they have a set timeframe in which they have to complete the training. Stopping the 'class' and arresting some lowlife for sniffing paint or someone for jaywalking or soething is hardly worth their time. Not that paint sniffing is illegle anyway.

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #15
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
i lived in darwin for 2 years, just go down to the palmerston shopping centre and you'll see for yourself, and who really cares if there walkin around sniffin paint, as long a there not doing any harm to anyone else, let them kill themselves.
Yeh but i wonder how many robberies, assaults and rapes are committed by these people while under the influence of inhalants?? A sh!teload i bet !!
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #16
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

This is a kind of side matter to this but I must applaude the efforts of Supercheap (our local one at least) that has finally done the responsible thing with spray paint and put in in a locked cage that you need to ask for staff to get it and they will not sell it to minors. (obviously its not for sniffers, more likley to reduce theft and graffitti).
Old 06-07-2005, 11:58 PM   #17
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

I think you will find that with most stores now. I know Buinings at Hoppers Crossing does something similar and also has a sign up.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #18
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Thats been law in SA for the last 10years

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post