Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default Using Diesel as an engine flush???

talkin to some old timers at work and one suggested he used to put some diesel in his oil before doing a service to "give 'er a good cleanout"

doing this really a good idea? ive used diesel to clean stuff down and clean parts in etc but this i think seemed a little left field so, thought id drop the question....

MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Shounak

That's what you pay $12 for 500ml for when you buy a Wynns or Nulon Engine flush.

It thins the oil and is perfectly fine to use.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Shounak

A better version of an engine flush is to drain your oil. Fill it up with a cheapie oil of the same viscosity and one which meets the basic recommendations for your car. Run that through for a day or two and drain it.

When you consider people do it to their cooling systems with water, it makes sense to do it to your car. It will really clean it out and you can get supermarket oil for about $10-15.

Otherwise you're just dropping the oil in the pan pretty much. Have you heard the arguments against using transmission oil sump plugs? Well apply that to the more important engine, you want to clean out more than just the pan.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
PoMmYwOG

yeah it works a treat just dont rev it too hard when circulating the diesel as it thins the oil big time. I usually just let it idle for about 10 mins or go for a couple laps aroudn the block at under 2 grand.

Just becareful with it if u have got a sludgy engine as it may loosen it and block the oil pick up...not healthy!

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I've heard old mechs talk about this too. But be careful, if the engine is old and worn, cleaning it out could actually result in the engine blowing oil smoke very shortly - apparently oil sludge and varnish get to the point where they help the rings seal properly etc and when you clean an old worn engine out, engine no longer seals so well and blows smoke.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
da_ilks

Haha, agree with the above in certain circumstances! My old 308 had noisy tappets, so I bought some tappet cleaner which was meant to quieten them down. All it did was release the gunk and made them 3x noiser :/
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I've heard old mechs talk about this too. But be careful, if the engine is old and worn, cleaning it out could actually result in the engine blowing oil smoke very shortly - apparently oil sludge and varnish get to the point where they help the rings seal properly etc and when you clean an old worn engine out, engine no longer seals so well and blows smoke.
Yes this can happen Ive had it happen, then you jsut wack chemiseal in the pots to stop it smoking again:

hmmm perhaps not

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
A better version of an engine flush is to drain your oil. Fill it up with a cheapie oil of the same viscosity and one which meets the basic recommendations for your car. Run that through for a day or two and drain it.

When you consider people do it to their cooling systems with water, it makes sense to do it to your car. It will really clean it out and you can get supermarket oil for about $10-15.
This is the only way to do a flush, diesel in the oil system will damage bearings.
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #9
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to agree with the above, repeat oil change is the best way to go. Strange thing happened to the work hack, the motor had a big end knock sound so there I am thinking motors on the way out, then thought why not do a couple of oil changes using the budget stuff (correct visocsity), after the second oil drop the sound dissapeared never to return again and that was a while ago. Also remember how "like dissolves like" so if your mixing old and new oil they should gel real well and eventually the old grime and gunk will pass through each oil change, sort of like diluting cordial - you get to the point where its just like water
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
krt10
eskyman

i know of people doing the same thing but with fuel injector cleaner. same principal i suppose.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
snakeoil
Snake Oil

That's what you pay $12 for 500ml for when you buy a Wynns or Nulon Engine flush.What for kerosene??? and they have just made $12

This is the only way to do a flush, diesel in the oil system will damage bearings
Dude absoulutely dead right
MR 460 big block go to oil analysis which will freak most poorly trained mechanics out and then you know for sure what it going on.Diesel mechanics do this every day of the week
Cheers

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
old-jim
Starter Motor

I have heard that the best way to flush an engine is with a couple of oil changes. But when you first change the old oil, use oil that is formulated for diesel engines. It has a high detergent content that will loosen all the old gunk.
Run this for 500km and then do a proper oil change.
Change the filter for both oil changes.

But you can block up oil galleries, clog pickups and finish with noisy tappets.
No great loss I suppose if the engine is that far gone.

cheers - old jim
old-jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post