Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #91
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
And....... Your new suggested name would be????????????
Trendy eh?... How about Indiana, Skye, Dashiell or maybe Edsel???
Don't know... that's what marketing departments are for ... but "Fusion" might be an idea... although I can ultimately see the "Con-Fusion" jokes will follow.

There is a risk in changing a brand name with great equity - Nissan made that mistake with Pulsar and Tiida - I don't know if changing the nameplate will work for Ford... but given the talk, Osbourne did say FG was designed to appeal to a greater audience, but other than better rear passenger access I'm not exactly sure how FG has achieved that objective better than BF? However, there is a notable dilemma with my suggestion... Falcon Ute sales are still strong so changing it's name might be counterproductive in that respect.

Given sales of Falcon are slow for Ford, my thinking is why not rejuvenate its big car by giving the car a fresh outlook, starting with a new name? What are the risks? Certainly Ford made an impact with a totally new nameplate a few years ago, which was Falcon based, recall the Territory.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #92
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Don't know... that's what marketing departments are for ... but "Fusion" might be an idea... although I can ultimately see the "Con-Fusion" jokes will follow.

There is a risk in changing a brand name with great equity - Nissan made that mistake with Pulsar and Tiida - I don't know if changing the nameplate will work for Ford... but given the talk, Osbourne did say FG was designed to appeal to a greater audience, but other than better rear passenger access I'm not exactly sure how FG has achieved that objective better than BF? However, there is a notable dilemma with my suggestion... Falcon Ute sales are still strong so changing it's name might be counterproductive in that respect.

Given sales of Falcon are slow for Ford, my thinking is why not rejuvenate its big car by giving the car a fresh outlook, starting with a new name? What are the risks? Certainly Ford made an impact with a totally new nameplate a few years ago, which was Falcon based, recall the Territory.
It wouldn't work. Remember when Nissan changed the Pulsar name to Tidda? Remember when Mistubishi changed the Magna to 380? Changing names is not a option with the Falcon because it would allienate the loyal Ford fans although they have done it to a extent with the new range e.g Ford G6E-T.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #93
BELTA
belta kix lsss!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
untill FORD do something about the careless sales people, they will get knowhere. Lead times are crap too, to say sales are down, being told you will have to wait 6-8 weeks for a car is crap service.

I went with one of the company directors at work to test drive and he want to buy an F6. We went to a prominent outer SE Melb dealership. We walked in and spoke to a sales rep straight away, however this rep was not interested in us and said we need to speak with "x" "I'll go get him".

This person then disapeared, and was never seen by us again. 20min later this guy shows up."you guys right" was the opening statement, My director said, "I want to by an F6", "oh really, you do huh" was the response. "yep", we said. "We've been looking at XR6T, G6ET etc, but I have decided I want an F6". "good for you" was the response, you'll have to wait quite a while though, "What do you mean?" my boss asked. "These one right here next to us". Colour I want, Auto etc. Why can't I take this one?". "Nahh can't sell it to you, it the only one we have".. "Ok fair enough we thought, they wanted a showroom car." "Well can you see if any other dealers have any in, then perhaps you could get it in for us." I'd like to get it from you, I live around the area", my boss said. The Guy laughed, literally, "nope" was the response. "you want one, you can order it". but a cant say you'll have it within the next 2 mths, you can get on the phone and try other dealers if you want, up to you". ......"let me know if you want me to order one for you". He then walked off and left us standing there.

My boss was ready to buy , there and then, If the rep had even said, give me your number, I'll call around and see what I can do. The would have even been great. but no, he was not prepared to do so, even for a sale.

BTW, he picked up a 12mth old M3 last week for ~10K more than the F6 would have cost him. The dealer gave him free servicing incl basic parts and fluids for 2 yrs, Has ordered 4 brand new tyres (original spec) to put on. the car has 12,000 klm on it.
that is really bad :
Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #94
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Changing the name is truley a bad idea, it rarely works, a quick look back in history shows it isn't only risky but must be a truley last resort decision, here is just a few that haven't worked, and resulted in poor sales for the replacement:
Nissan Pulsar - Tiida
Mitsubishi Magna - 380
Ford Telstar - Mondeo
Ford Laser - Focus

This only tends to work with cars that don't have any popularity at all Like Toyota Avalon- Aurion. There isn't anything wrong with the Falcon nameplate, It's just in a very sick segment.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #95
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
What more could Ford do in terms of marketing? Let's face it, Ford's aftersales is possibly the worst in the industry. That would scare many would-be Ford owners away and into Asian brands (as Holden isn't much better).

Plenty of upper management and dealer principals living in Ivory Towers. Read any history on the British motorcycle industry from the late sixtys/ early seventys and you can see the direct resemblance to the Ford and GM situation. They looked at the overseas companies as a joke and never took them serious, they warred with each other while the real threat was coming from behind. Both are f#*%ed.[/QUOTE]"Ford's aftersales is possibly the worst in the industry"
aint that the truth
We needed a new wagon for the sales rep and when I propped in work clothes at the local Ford depot no one came near me in the 15 minutes I waited
Went next door to Holden and had committed to a v8 wagon on dealer gas in less time on a decent run out deal .. the whole experience was heaps better and this has been confirmed through the last 35 years of owning and driving Fords...
We also own several Toyota 4wd's and a Golf... not a ford in sight atm...
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #96
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What does Ford have to do to sell more cars.

1- Make oil companies return the price of petrol down to under a dollar
2- Prove that global warming is nothing but a joke and believed by idiots
3- Reduce the costs of living
4- Reduce interest rates
5- Convince the government to raise tariffs
6- Replace every useless sales person they have
7- Bomb every Toyota factory that builds cars that come to Australia

That should do the trick.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #97
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What does Ford have to do to sell more cars.

1- Make oil companies return the price of petrol down to under a dollar
2- Prove that global warming is nothing but a joke and believed by idiots
3- Reduce the costs of living
4- Reduce interest rates
5- Convince the government to raise tariffs
6- Replace every useless sales person they have
7- Bomb every Toyota factory that builds cars that come to Australia

That should do the trick.
that will do it.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #98
AuFairlaneV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
It still amazes me that people honestly believe TV ads determine car sales.. sure they're good for model and brand awareness which in itself is very important, but people do far more research than just via what's said on the TV.....
I tend to think advertising done through other means than the traditional newspaper/tv/radio add is far more effective. Car reviewers and newspaper articles, tv segments that are not obvious advertising are imo far better for promoting a brands image. I believe John Laws and his deal with toyota has contributed in some way to the success of toyota camrys amongst older people.
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #99
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
It still amazes me that people honestly believe TV ads determine car sales.. sure they're good for model and brand awareness which in itself is very important, but people do far more research than just via what's said on the TV.....
To a point, I tend to agree... However TV "can be" a pretty powerful tool, especially if the ad has the ability to get you to take notice?..
One that comes to mind is the VW Golf ad where the driver plants the foot, spilling the passengers slurpy... It demonstrates the Golfs performance and also squarely aims at the hip pocket with the cars frugality in these times of high fuel prices.
Surely an ad like this WOULD influence potential buyers, thus to a degree determining car sales?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #100
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To a point, I tend to agree... However TV "can be" a pretty powerful tool, especially if the ad has the ability to get you to take notice?..
One that comes to mind is the VW Golf ad where the driver plants the foot, spilling the passengers slurpy... It demonstrates the Golfs performance and also squarely aims at the hip pocket with the cars frugality in these times of high fuel prices.
Surely an ad like this WOULD influence potential buyers, thus to a degree determining car sales?
Getting you to take notice is Brand/model awareness, i don't believe for a second anyone will take the "spilled slurpy" incident as a serious indication or measure of performance.... its just a gimmick.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #101
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Influence in that it would make a potential customer aware that there may be another car to consider, sure. If someone is influenced to purchase a $35,000 car after watching an add where someone spills a slurpee, I doubt they would have the funds to make the purchase if they watch a lot of TV.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #102
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Influence in that it would make a potential customer aware that there may be another car to consider, sure. If someone is influenced to purchase a $35,000 car after watching an add where someone spills a slurpee, I doubt they would have the funds to make the purchase if they watch a lot of TV.
I think they'd probably have trouble scraping the funds together to buy the actual slurpee!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #103
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Getting you to take notice is Brand/model awareness, i don't believe for a second anyone will take the "spilled slurpy" incident as a serious indication or measure of performance.... its just a gimmick.
Ok, gimmick or not... I'm damn sure that the average Joeblow that's in the market for a "sporty hatch" WOULD BE influenced by the Golf ad.
Possibly if current Ford ads better emphasized the FG's much improved economy, people might just think.. "yeah, maybe it IS worth a look"?
Ford's marketing is simply dull and totally uninspiring.
If I wasn't a Ford man, I doubt I'd even be bloody aware that there's been an all new model released!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #104
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, gimmick or not... I'm damn sure that the average Joeblow that's in the market for a "sporty hatch" WOULD BE influenced by the Golf ad.
Possibly if current Ford ads better emphasized the FG's much improved economy, people might just think.. "yeah, maybe it IS worth a look"?
Ford's marketing is simply dull and totally uninspiring.
If I wasn't a Ford man, I doubt I'd even be bloody aware that there's been an all new model released!
Yes, that's all good and well, but car companies can (and do) claim all kinds of fluffy things, at the end of the day the consumer will compare and make up their own mind if the claims are valid or not.
These ads just make people aware of choice, they dont clinch or determine the sale, the product does that by being up to the customers expectations and winning after comparrison with its competition.