Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
MarkIV

Default Ford AU is the media's new victim.

Having largely contributed to the demise of Mitsubishi's operations in Australia it seems the media is looking for a new whipping boy.

There is so much negative press about Ford at the moment - poor sales, job losses, declining large car market, pulling out of the V8s, FWD Falcons etc. Whilst some of these of these are facts and some are just media started rumours the whole thing creates a viscious circle.

Why would you buy a Ford if the media says they might go out of business? Of course if you don't buy a Ford they will go out of business and the media can say "we told you so".

At this time the media should be doing all it can to support Australian business. Destroying public confidence in Ford Australia is not the wat to do it.

Rant over.

MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Yeah I agree, but what can be done to change what the media say? Not much! Maybe Ford can invite the media in for a cuppa and a looksee at some up and comers? Something that the media might WANT to tell the public about, like diesels for instance. Can turn negative press into positive PR.

Wishful thinking and far from reality I know...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I am not sure they're the reason for the decline of Ford.
I would be more looking at Ford themselves.
Nissan shutdown here a long time ago, did that stop anyone buying a Nissan?
I still see a lot of Mitsubishi Lancers around, so obviously someone is buying them.

The media is simply reporting on the basket case that is Ford at the moment.
It would be nice that they can turn around within a couple of years and prove all critics wrong.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The media are reporting. That's what they do.

It's up to Ford to put together a plan and make it work.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is the eco/green movement and global warming such a massive issue at the moment??

Old 27-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Wasn't Osborne responsible for the new "five-year plan" ??.. Maybe now that he no longer is with the company, Ford should shed some more light; it may help with PR..
Old 27-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Yeah I agree, but what can be done to change what the media say? Not much! Maybe Ford can invite the media in for a cuppa and a looksee at some up and comers? Something that the media might WANT to tell the public about, like diesels for instance. Can turn negative press into positive PR.

Wishful thinking and far from reality I know...
Ford have been running a monthly Thursday informal chat session with the media for some time now.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poor ford. maybe they should invest in something called a PR department. i hear all the cool companies have one these days.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

As RPO says, the info is getting out to the media, it is what they do with it & how they present it. For example with the announcement of job losses at Unidrive the news story says "... and of course this follows on from xxx job losses at Ford and also Mitsi's decision to shut down their manufacturing plant" (seemingly forgetting that the plant closed months ago). One of the news reports I heard after Ford's announcement said they were shedding 25% of staff, some are just hopeless.

Not to mention they don't seem to have linked all the current job losses etc & the tariff cuts. Perhaps it is a separate issue, but do we want to have any manufacturing in this country or not?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

As some have saidm the media will report what they want to. The company i work for is battling its own PR problem and despite talking the time and effort to provide the media with a stack of balanced and corrective ifnormation, they will still seize the opportunity to only report the sensationailistic stuff.

PR may sound easy, it is not - you can have the best, but at the end of the day, the media will print/say/show whatever angle that best suits their strive for marketshare/sales. How much of this has been on ABC? I have not heard too much of the negative as i listen to the ABC - it is more balanced about what Ford are doing.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
swapper

Quote:
There is so much negative press about Ford at the moment - poor sales, job losses, declining large car market, pulling out of the V8s, FWD Falcons etc. Whilst some of these of these are facts and some are just media started rumours the whole thing creates a viscious circle.
well these arent media started rumours, (except maybe the FWD falcon)
poor sales, job losses, declining large car market, pulling out of the V8s.....these are all facts, there is no arguing that
swapper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and the fact that ford here in geelong are having an 18 day lay off /shut down this includes maintenance workers

what does that say about how bad things are

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Pretty articles to try and prop up a declining market is not what the media is there to do and it's certainly not going to sell any papers. I think you're giving the media way too much credit to suggest they were the largely responsible for Mitsubishi going to the wall.

I don't know how many people would be deterred from buying a large car because they read an article in the rag about how bad the large car market is. They're going to be looking at their wallets first. Is this just supposition that the media is underlying reason that Ford and Commodore sales are declining, or have you any hard data of their influence?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
Ford have been running a monthly Thursday informal chat session with the media for some time now.
Well there you go. And it isn't helping much is it? Well, it's not helping Fords current situation which is on a much larger scale than just bad press. If I was religious I would say 3 prayers a day for Ford.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
FORD5

Media is gay.
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Why is the eco/green movement and global warming such a massive issue at the moment??
HA HA so true! What ever happened to hug a tree or save the whales! Last time I looked they were still cutting down forests and the Japanese were still hunting whales.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
MarkIV

The media can only focus on one thing at a time. Have you noticed if something is hot or melting its "global warming" and if something is unseasonally cold its "climate change".

Also up here in Brissie we don't have plain weather any more its "the big chill", "the big freeze", "the big wet" or "Brissie's wild weather" whenever the weather is slightly different?
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
As some have saidm the media will report what they want to. The company i work for is battling its own PR problem and despite talking the time and effort to provide the media with a stack of balanced and corrective ifnormation, they will still seize the opportunity to only report the sensationailistic stuff
Agreed. I just got the boot today (Kenworth flow on), but the company I worked for (luckily for them) uses clever PR where from the outside they look the goods, yet inside it's a shambles :togo:
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #19
Assassinbm

Own the media.....own the world!!
Old 29-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
GSH
AU2 XR8

well im happy with my AU......ill whip a few nuts out of the front of that joint if they rekon the AU is dud.....ggrrr

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #21
XR8GRL