Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #31
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Why would speed cameras reduce a roads usage? are people that daft that they're incapable of staying under the posted speed limit on long open stretches of roads?
Who you calling daft????

My AU doesnt have cruise but only 2 cameras to keep an eye on on my stretch ....... only problem is I missed one yesterday and my speed had crept to 105 when I looked for the 1000th time. Not enough cars are on the road to keep level with the flow is annoying.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder how many people get distracted with the dreaded(SPEEDO TERRORS) watching the speedo more than the road fearfull of going over the limit, surely it must happen not forgetting the fatigue caused by constantly watching the speedo, not to mention the crazy speed limits in places for example dual carrigeway (hwy or freeway) road work area`s, after hours .....no workers, yet almost mt road and 70 or 80 k`s ph with no no dangerouse spots......what are they thinking... if driving like a snail does`nt cause fatigue, as my mumy used to say....i`ll go he (i never understood that saying really),........and another thing if the toll statement at the end of the month does`nt cause the odd heart failure i would be surprised, the signs should read excessive use of tollways could be detrimental to your health (forgive my attempt at humour).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair dinkum! some people make driving a car at a steady pace sound more complicated than flying the space shuttle!!!!

Seriously.. its not that hard to drive at a steady speed, stay under the posted limit and be perfectly safe guys!!!!!!

Last edited by 4Vman; 26-09-2008 at 08:56 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #34
hannem

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
:

3. As an aside... the wording of the "Road Safety Cameras operate in this area" signs irritate me also. They're not 'Road Safety Cameras' they're 'Revenue Raising Cameras'. If it were truly about safety and not revenue, police would not have to meet quotas for issuing fines.
Sister is a sign writer and has a vinyl cutter for making stickers and labels, have been wanting to get a big "revenue" sticker made and change on the sign to "road revenue cameras operate in this area" Must pull over one day and measure the font height. Unless someone knows it already!!

Wonder how long it would take to get pulled?

Cheers M
hannem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #35
balthazarr

Quote:
Fair dinkum! some people make driving a car at a steady pace sound more complicated than flying the space shuttle!!!!

Seriously.. its not that hard to drive at a steady speed, stay under the posted limit and be perfectly safe guys!!!!!!
You're right it's not... but all it takes is a momentary lapse, and you're done for as little as 104 in a 100 zone :
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
You're right it's not... but all it takes is a momentary lapse, and you're done for as little as 104 in a 100 zone :
Yes true.. in the same way that same momentary lapse of attention could also see you into a tree or pole on the side of the road too... so i guess it comes down to paying attention while driving full stop.

Old 26-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #37
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

it isn't that hard to not get fined by speed camera's - especially if you use the road regularly. well under one percent of my driving in over 21 years has been without cruise control and i have scored 4. one was on a tripod beside a golf club, one was a fixed one on a road i was using for the first time and the other 2 were because i was more stupid than the previous 2. they are in the same place all the time and the mobile ones are usually easy to see. obviously with any new road, a quiet drive just below the limit is a good idea to see where they are
if you are unaware of a camera, you are likely to be unaware of any child, animal or other vehicle. lack of attention is the major problem on our roads, so if we are as good as we claim to be, maybe we should see the camera's before they see us

as for the road itself, i have not used it and hopefully will not have to. all it has done is make my drive to work everyday more frustrating, with more traffic lights and dropped speed limits
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #38
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Yes true.. in the same way that same momentary lapse of attention could also see you into a tree or pole on the side of the road too... so i guess it comes down to paying attention while driving full stop.
Now come on ....... you cant beleive that? It takes a second .... or less than ........ to go over the limit past a camera while watching the road, watching the traffic, watching the kiddies, being the most perfect driver and being done because you slipped unintentionally and ever so marginally over the limit? It takes a little bit more to hit a tree!

The hidden ones are totally for revenue, the seen or the obvious parked car ones are dangerous ...... Dandy bypass doing under 80km's behind a car which slams on there brakes as they relise the cae on the side has a camera! The truck behind had great fun on full lock behind me ...... dont know what was happening behind him as I kept going ..... that was Tuesday. Lucky the RH lane was free .......

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 26-09-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 26-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #39
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Now come on ....... you cant beleive that? It takes a second .... or less than ........ to go over the limit past a camera while watching the road, watching the traffic, watching the kiddies, being the most perfect driver and being done because you slipped unintentionally and ever so marginally over the limit? It takes a little bit more to hit a tree!

The hidden ones are totally for revenue, the seen or the obvious parked car ones are dangerous ...... Dandy bypass doing under 80km's behind a car which slams on there brakes as they relise the cae on the side has a camera! The truck behind had great fun on full lock behind me ...... dont know what was happening behind him as I kept going ..... that was Tuesday. Lucky the RH lane was free .......
Yeah, look, i know where you're coming from mate, but i just don't get how people get caught unless they're not paying attention! Ive been done once, i copped it on the chin, i didnt see it and i wasnt paying attention to the posted limit.. my bad.

Old 26-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #40
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I have been done 3 times in the past 18 months ... and 1 other 'personal' fine in 24 years.... all 3 were ridiculous spots and at minimal speeds. Its the minimal margin and where they are that get to me ........ THE 2 best freeways in Victoria (maybe Aust) have more per KM's than anywhere else in the country! And they are not black spots or regarded as problem areas!!!

I shouldnt post in threads discussing speed camera's. I 'almost' promise never again on this topic

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #41
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
There is a bank of cameras under Wellington Road, another under either Greens Road or the Dandy Bypass and another "somewhere" in the tunnels, going both northbound and southbound. Does anybody know if the tolerances for those cameras are changed if the variable speed limit is reduced? The tunnel was down to 40 and one lane tonight, I "could" have drifted a bit over just as I was coming out of the city-bound tunnel.

Incidentally, I can't see the justification for putting "safety" cameras on one of the safest roads in the land.
I believe that the cameras have a fixed tolerance of 3km/h...

As for the location of the cameras in the tunnel... they're a few hundred metres on from the lowest point (ie. checking the speed of cars going uphill)... look for big black boxes just in front of the signs showing lane openings (arrows).
Old 30-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #42
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Just on another note ...... seeing I said I wouldnt, going through the bank statement today and saw the amount it has cost for using the road over the past 14 days .........

Bearing in mind I have 4 cars linked to the account, total amount taken out of the account ....... $480.00! : In one day alone 3 lots of $35.00 has been taken out by East Link, this amount being the top up.

Ring them to enquire, you need to lodge a claim stating that you dont beleive the amount is correct and it gets investigated ..... in the meantime, they will continue taking the money unless I cancel all accounts, hand back the tags and start again. The money will be refunded BUT only if they decide ....... at some time in the future ..... that it wasn't me driving for hours each day up and down the road!!!!

I roughly calculated those 14 days should be around $25-$30 ish ........

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #43
balthazarr

Quote:
Just on another note ...... seeing I said I wouldnt, going through the bank statement today and saw the amount it has cost for using the road over the past 14 days .........

Bearing in mind I have 4 cars linked to the account, total amount taken out of the account ....... $480.00! : In one day alone 3 lots of $35.00 has been taken out by East Link, this amount being the top up.

Ring them to enquire, you need to lodge a claim stating that you dont beleive the amount is correct and it gets investigated ..... in the meantime, they will continue taking the money unless I cancel all accounts, hand back the tags and start again. The money will be refunded BUT only if they decide ....... at some time in the future ..... that it wasn't me driving for hours each day up and down the road!!!!

So, it's Citylink all over again... they had teething problems with their system (in fact, I still hear of people receiving notices when they haven't driven on it).

I take it you're on direct debit? This is one reason why I never authorise direct debit, for anything.
Old 30-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #44
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My account has had similar but I'd only been getting debited 1/2 of the req'd amount. In my circumstance the massive amount of direct debits that happened all at once was from prior usage that hadn't been debited since East link opened as a payed tollway.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post