Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Default FoMoCo Q3 Report.

Ford has posted it's preliminary 3rd quarter report...

Main points as follows:

- Total Company
US$2.7 billion LOSS, (excluding special items)
US$540 million LOSS (including special items)

- Asia Pacific (Aus.)
US$4 million PROFIT, (excluding special items)
US$24 million LOSS, (including special items)

- Mazda actually contributed a US$1 million LOSS,

Total Liquidity is US$29.6 billion

(Special items are mainly things such as; revenue adjustments to previous reports, changes in business practices, and Jaguar/Land Rover revenue.)

1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

http://www.ford.com/about-ford/inves...ompany-reports
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also a story about this posted on autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/07/f...n-and-job-cut/

Ford Motor Company this morning announced a third quarter loss of $129 million and pre-tax loss of $2.7 billion if we're not counting special items like $2 billion in savings from shifting responsibility for retiree health care to the UAW-run VEBA account. Ford, however, says it remains on track with its turnaround plan and has $18.9 billion in cash on hand, lines of credit worth $10.7 billion and overall liquidity of $29.6 billion. Nevertheless, the Dearborn-based automaker is planning more white-collar job cuts to the tune of 10%. More money will be saved by combining its engineering and product development globally, as well as slowing production, investment in information technology and advertising costs. Ford also said it will "continue to explore divestitures of non-core assests...", which we take to mean that Volvo and its stake in Mazda are not off limits.

Ford also said that nearly all of its planned product programs are going forward, except for large vehicles in declining segments and a few other select projects (we'll trying to find out which ones). The wish of many for more European Fords is safe, however, with the automaker reiterating its commitment to bring six European small Fords to the U.S.

Though Ford's North American operations accounted for the bulk of its Q3 loss, every other region recorded a profit while Ford's stake in Mazda cost the automaker $1 million and Volvo lost $458 million.

Stay tuned, as GM will be announcing its Q3 results and "important changes" at 11AM EST.

[Source: Ford]
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hmm, well they're working hard on the turnaround, trying to get new models out to the market, and Ford credit made a 156 million dollar profit (problem is they would prob not be able to get money in oz). Could have been close to turning a profit if the economy didn't bomb.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Read carefully the part that says development is going ahead on new models, except for large vehicles in declining segments.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
manxman
Old Granny Driver

I see the foundations of a rumour that Volvo will be for sale AGAIN soon. I pity their owners the rising cost of spare parts-again. Mine was quite nice, but I didn't get the Volvo driver's syndrome. I worked out what causes it and consciously fought against getting it. Some cars are too safe............
manxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Read carefully the part that says development is going ahead on new models, except for large vehicles in declining segments.
I.e. F series trucks and crown vics.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I'm also tipping Falcon.

Many of the recent job losses announced by FoA are at Product Development.

I suspect there will be some sort of announcement at year end.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
An all new F series was released last month, crown vic replacement (GRWD) was already on hold, the large vehicle program they refer to is the explorer replacement.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My tip is in three years there will be Territory, Mondeo and Focus production in Australia. I tip Falcon will go unless something dramatic happens in that time.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
FoMoKid

I doubt FoA could justify building the Territory and not the Falcon. One strong selling point in developing the Territory in the first place was that they could share many components with Falcon and reduce the need of full development of each vehicle. That is my understanding of it anyway.

2008 LV FOCUS XR5 MOONDUST SILVER
FoMoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
My tip is in three years there will be Territory, Mondeo and Focus production in Australia. I tip Falcon will go unless something dramatic happens in that time.
I think you're on the money.

I'm tipping:

Focus, Mondeo, and Territory (for a while anyway).

Focus and Mondeo exports to the region.

Falcon will go I think in 4 or so years. Territory willl continue after this next facelift for 4 - 5 years and will be replaced by an import or a locally built FWD based Crossover, if Ford is still manufacturing in Oz.

The emphasis is now on global cars - there is no GRWD, so Falcon is dead IMO.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I couldnt see Territory staying if Falcon is going unless they use another platform.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
FoMoKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
...there is no GRWD, so Falcon is dead IMO.
Perhaps its my kock-eyed optimism, but just because there is no planned GRWD platform it shouldn't necessarily mean that the Falcon should die? why could it not continue with its current platform? Minor revisions would keep it ticking along, this would be better than shutting down production. Saab have been doing for generations of models. Sure it may not be totally up to date compared with competition in 2015 but the falcon would still be Ford's biggest selling product - hopefully up there with Focus from 2011.

my 2c anyway

2008 LV FOCUS XR5 MOONDUST SILVER
FoMoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Falcon has basically never been global before... I understand that things are harder and times have changed, but it is pretty simple. If we purchase the bloody things, they will keep building it!
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #16
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

okay. worst case scenario. Ford Aus can't get a cent to develop a new falcon.

This may seem stupid but, you'd have to wonder how long ford could keeep selling the fg for? The volvo 1/2 series started in 1968 and was sold here until 1993. E series mercs often go on for years. The blackwood (xd to xf) sedans sold from 79 to 88. The commercials (xd to xh) sold from 79 to 99.

It would seem that ford could keep selling them (even at a greatly reduced rate) and still turn some profit (because development costs would be so small - maybe a new bumper design every two years, a new development of the global v6, maybe even new bonnet, front guards, lights, boot, bumpers and tailights). FPV could still produce what we want.

it's just a thought. I might be way off but other makers have carried on with older vehicles because they didn't have the budget to redevelop. Surely ford could always muster 1000 falcons per month (territory numbers are floating around this figure) with an 8 year old fg (2016) updated with a few new bits. It would still be profitable becuase numbers would be high enough to keep supplier parts prices down. The workforce would be a lot smaller (a sad side effect but hopefully they could be funnelled into the focus factory).

I'm no expert, but providing ford can still keep cost per unit to Reasonable levels, then they can pull a profit.

I reckon the commercials could sell for 20 years providing they meet ever improving saftey standards
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

FG I6 engine won't be able to be sold after 2010 (well all the current I6 motors) then they will have to contend with new emmission laws which costs money to implement.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford aus will fight hard to keep the falcon, if it goes so will 5000 odd sales a month from all its variants.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #19
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The job cuts we're all seeing has alot to do with the Falcon (and FordAu's manufacturing future in Oz), but don't be fooled into thinking the RWD Falcon will be going anywhere (barring the unforeseen)! Falcon is here to stay, beyond 4 years time, and it won't be FWD. And that's what the plan is. ;)
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #20
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

I think Ford (global) saw the writing on the wall a little earlier than GM, and acted on it sooner as well.

Because of that, they will make it through stronger (and unassisted at that) than GM.

Yet they stll have the GT500?............. Who said you cant have your cake and eat it too?

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #21
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
I think Ford (global) saw the writing on the wall a little earlier than GM, and acted on it sooner as well.

Because of that, they will make it through stronger (and unassisted at that) than GM.

Yet they stll have the GT500?............. Who said you cant have your cake and eat it too?

Daniel
And they will give us another GT500 too... of which we may get a "taste" of. :evil3:
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #22
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Falcon is here to stay, beyond 4 years time, and it won't be FWD. And that's what the plan is. ;)
I don't believe so _2:

I think we'll know by years end. Mr KRudd's anouncement has put a nail in Falcon's coffin I think you'll find (rightly or wrongly).