Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
balthazarr

Default Bird droppings/Sap or Full Sun?

Was having this discussion over the weekend...

I have two options with regards to parking during the day:

1. Full sun, no shade whatsoever, moderately busy main road with a bike lane; or
2. Quieter side street with overhanging trees.

So, basically it's park in full sun, with more cars and bicycles going by (sun fading the paint/higher chance of scratches/dents/damage from cars/bikes), or park in the shade but have higher chance of bird droppings/tree sap (paint damage from droppings/sap).

Assume that the car has paint protection, as it does, and the colour is Vixen.

The question is - where would you rather park?

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
seduced_xr
BF XR6

under the trees. bird droppings can be washed off. scratches can not
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

If it gets a nice detail and sealed with an acyrlic sealant any bird droppings or sap won't be a problem.

Clay it
polish it by machine
seal it
no dramas.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
seduced_xr
BF XR6

i just keep a nice coat of turtle wax ice and a sealant on mine every 6 weeks usually. stays smooth as all year all the droppings hose off
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I hate bird droppings. I try and have a chamois and a bottle of 'style magic' cleaner in the car, so as soon as I see any, I clean it straight away.

I hate scratches too but how can you police someone with a handbag with studs on it scratch past the paint as they get into their car?

Its a no won situation really. Best thing to do is be aware of all possibilities and be prepared for any situation as best you can.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I try to avoid parking under trees because of the sap and bird droppings but keep the cars well waxed and remove and bird poo same day. I would choose the quite street less chance of being hit by a passing car
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

park it in the quiet street and buy a full car cover (get can them from Supercheap)
Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
GJB XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
2. Quieter side street with overhanging trees.
As long as you have a good coat of wax on it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

side street with a car cover ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

One of my friends got a job and had to park his car somewhere where the birds got it every day. He put a cover on and every day the wind would manage to blow it up or his workmates would steal it as a joke. So he gave up and just let the birds get it.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
One of my friends got a job and had to park his car somewhere where the birds got it every day. He put a cover on and every day the wind would manage to blow it up or his workmates would steal it as a joke. So he gave up and just let the birds get it.
some work mates , a good cover wont blow up no way.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

agreed. cheap ones will tear in the wind. A good quality one has ties you use to hold it in position. You pay for it, but it worth it to do the job properly.

Think about the cost of the cover vs the cost of paint correction because you let the bird turds bake on ya car...

I know what I'd be choosing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

where i work, sawdust settles on my sillhouette XR6 everday, as well as alot of bird droppings, i have no choice where to park, and the sawdust floats for along way so i cant park around corner n walk. my next investment is to buy a car cover so the paint doesnt start to damage. im sick of washing/detailing my car only to have it filth up within 30 mins of me getting to work.
the current sitcho is however, that the paint is in dire need of a refresh anyway, so doesnt matter too much i guess...car cover is a good idea tho!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post