Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 1433 police officers fined for speeding

NEARLY four police officers a day were booked for breaking traffic laws including speeding while at work last year without any evidence they were responding to an emergency.

The massive 1433 fines incurred by lead-footed officers in police cars prompted strong criticism not only from road safety groups but also the NSW Police Force Commissioner for Professional Standards Paul Carey.

"If the number of fines incurred by police officers was just one, it would be of concern," Mr Carey said.

The high number of traffic fines issued to police vehicles - roughly one for every 10 officers - is an embarrassment in the lead up to the holiday safety blitz, codenamed Operation Safe Arrival.

The blitz on speeding and drink driving for the Christmas-New Year period is intended to keep the annual road toll at less than 400.

On 12 occasions no police officer owned up to being the driver of a vehicle that had been booked.

The figures revealed in documents obtained under Freedom of Information show even police officers are being caught by the state's ruthlessly effective fixed speed cameras.

Of the fines issued to police most - 1325 - were issued by fixed speed cameras, including school zone cameras.

The cameras doubled their fines revenue last financial year as they picked up a total of 677,839 drivers across NSW in the same period.

The officers themselves were required to pay the fines and lose demerit points, as does any other motorist caught breaking the law.

While most police were caught with only minor infringements, others such as leadfoot Senior Constable Andrew Robert Cumming, 32, did it to excess.

Cumming was banned from driving for a year for speeding in a police car at 202km/h on the F6 twice in January, 2006. There was no pursuit underway.

Cumming pleaded guilty to two counts of exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h - but remains on the force.

wonder if they will impound the cop cars under hooning laws lol.

Old 15-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s

While most police were caught with only minor infringements, others such as leadfoot Senior Constable Andrew Robert Cumming, 32, did it to excess.

Cumming was banned from driving for a year for speeding in a police car at 202km/h on the F6 twice in January, 2006. There was no pursuit underway.

Cumming pleaded guilty to two counts of exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h - but remains on the force.
So do police have seperate police licences to allow them to drive police cars???
May be a dumb question but if they do does he lose that as well or can he still
drive police cars?
Old 15-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
axeray

They have to do a special driving course before they're allowed to drive a police vehicle.

I think the 1 year ban is for driving a police car as well. He probably could've argued that he needed his license for work and that a fine would be more appropriate instead of the loss of license. It's a common argument which works well.

Like any job, they all have perks and I would've thought speeding was a perk of being a cop :P
Old 15-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeray
Like any job, they all have perks and I would've thought speeding was a perk of being a cop :P
lol not when they are deliberately breaking the laws they try to uphold.

these guys had no legit reason to be speeding as per the first paragraph of the story. they wern't responding to any call outs.
Old 15-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you'd think they would atleast try and not get hit by the speeding camera's
Old 15-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
lol not when they are deliberately breaking the laws they try to uphold.

these guys had no legit reason to be speeding as per the first paragraph of the story. they wern't responding to any call outs.
they were caught and fined - just like you and i would be
Old 15-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

What?? You mean to tell me they are people too??? Why wasn't I told!

*Sarcasm button off
Old 15-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This only one state, what about the rest of them?

Some of the stated speeds could be considered criminal acts especially if around school areas. It just makes it sound worse when there was no emergency to attend to.

Shame on these people!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

How many ambulances and fire brigade members received fines in that period?
Old 15-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not all Police beleive in speed camera's etc and not all police think that doing 3 k's over is life endangering. Therefore it doesnt surprise me that some get caught - they are just like the rest of us.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 15-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
How many ambulances and fire brigade members received fines in that period?
what do you mean? do you mean while they were in work vehicles?
Old 15-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry should add to that. i have never seen an ambo or fire truck ever going over the speed limit without lights or siren being on.
Old 15-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
what do you mean? do you mean while they were in work vehicles?
I am gathering this is relevant to those members receiving fines whilst on job. Whilst I am not condoning their actions I am merely questioning other statistics which may be relevant.
In Victoria I know for a fact every single time a police officer whilst working is caught by a speed camera they must write a report and justify their actions, even if it is obvious in the photo their emergency lights are operating. Under part 19 of the Road Rules Victoria emergency services personal have an exemption from most road rules in the course of their duties as long as they are taking care. It also states that they should operate lights and/or sirens if the vehicle is fitted with them. My understanding from talking to MAS and MFB is that they do not have these concerns and do not have to justify their speeding whilst in work vehicles.
I am just interested.
Old 15-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
sorry should add to that. i have never seen an ambo or fire truck ever going over the speed limit without lights or siren being on.
I have.
Old 15-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO .
Can't wait to see this message splashed up on a billboard.
Old 15-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i am not sure about the meaning of the thread
does the original poster not speed
should the original poster be allowed to speed without getting fined

from what i can see, if the individual officers are dumb enough to speed past a camera, then they receive a fine - just like us

the police are normal everyday people too - except for the fact that they face potential danger everyday, and the general public thinks self defence rules should not apply to them. apart from that they are normal. they drive and sometimes drive fast - so what

and just like us, if they are polite to an officer that pulls them over, they get let off alot too. if they are arrogant - then they get treaty unfairly . . . . err i mean get a fine
Old 15-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the original post was just to question this:

1. if they are officers of the state using state police vehicles then they must abide by the rules they are governed by. wether or not they believe in the rules is irrelevent because thats not their job. their job is to enforce these rules regardless.
2. officers must be beyond reproach. they have taken the oath.
3. they have massive leeway already in being able to suspend road rules when neccessary. eg chase/incident, robbery, assault etc.
4. if police are flouting these laws that are supposed to protect people after reading the article you think people will want to still follow them?

look im not saying that these guys have to be superhuman, i mean to be honest its a sh** job with crap pay and people give you no respect for doing something pollies have put in place. but its their job. i doubt many people would keep their jobs if they were found doing 200+ in a company car.....
Old 15-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

202km/h!!

Haha. Ol mate musta been seeing how fast he could wind the cop car up to!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 15-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

How many times do you see laminge close a thread!
Closed Thread