Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
ck11

Default Insurance repair advice

Hi Guys

Our 2nd car/run about was hit by a truck recently. The truck's insurance company has asked us to take the car, as well as two accident quotes to their assesment centre. The quotes come to around $1500, which is around the total value of the car itself!

Can i speak to the assesor and ask them to give us the cash equal to the quote i.e. $1500 and either write the car off or keep the car themselves (assuming they can wreck it or whole sale it)? Is it reasonable to ask them this question, or are there any implications in asking this question?

I was hoping people could give some advice and i would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the quotes are close to the value of the car they will total it. They will only pay up to the value of the car, not necessarily the actual quoted amount.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
ck11

Thanks for that, yeah the car is valued by redbook at between $900-$2000.

So it would be ok if i ask him if they would consider writing the car off at a certain value? I dont see the point in spending $1400 odd repairing the car and am hoping they negotiate a write off value.

Also, if they do not write it off and want to repair the car. Can i negotiate to be given the cash. This happened a few years back and the insurance company (of the other person) insisted that they would only pay the other person directly and would not give us the cash.

Thanks once again for your help.

Last edited by ck11; 13-01-2009 at 06:07 PM.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post