Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #31
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
don't know if you've already mentioned this one Ohio XB....

Ford are working on some pretty innovative active safety systems where by they are developing in conjunction with other manufacturers and the US department of Transport, car<->car comms and car<->infrastructure comms.

You can imagine the benefits here... imagine early warning of another car about to run a red at an intersection, or you are alerted because a car ahead has applied significant brake pressure.

all very possible and under test already.

I have not heard of that one before. Thanks for the info!

I know they have sonar sensor awareness to judge braking distances and the car will start braking for you if you are not noticing that the car ahead is stopping and your distance is too short for the speed being travelled.

I hope there isn't a need to totally idiot proof a car. You would think that people have to have some level of responsibility to drive. I know there are cars in California that, once on the highway, you sit back and the car drives itself. It's still a test but it's working. People read the paper while the car drives itself.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #32
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
thanks for the vids ect steve

it is great to get an inside bit of info as to what ford us are implimenting and not just sitting back and seeing what happens

Jason

You're welcome. Also realize that most all of what I have posted is already in the public realm which Ford has put out there.

So if Ford is willing to make this cool stuff public, imagine what they have under wraps!

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #33
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I have not heard of that one before. Thanks for the info!

I know they have sonar sensor awareness to judge braking distances and the car will start braking for you if you are not noticing that the car ahead is stopping and your distance is too short for the speed being travelled.

I hope there isn't a need to totally idiot proof a car. You would think that people have to have some level of responsibility to drive. I know there are cars in California that, once on the highway, you sit back and the car drives itself. It's still a test but it's working. People read the paper while the car drives itself.

Steve
No problem.

Like you said there's the auto cruise control type technologies that monitor distance etc, but this is somewhat different.

As far as I know, the calibration could be as flexible as audible/visible alerts to intervention, I guess it comes down to the tests and what they can achieve.

I do believe there is already a particular intersection in Dearborn that is setup for this which they're currently using for testing purposes.

And on the idea's front, anybody that would like to submit their own ideas and maybe one day see it born by FoMoCo, go to http://fordnewideas.com ;)
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #34
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Steve

This is being used currently in the Australian Falcon and i'm sure other models across Fords Global models.
It's a shame Ford Au don't use this style of advertisement to grab people's attention.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #35
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ford SYNC coming to Australia!!!!!!!!

http://www.cnet.com.au/cartech/enter...9294306,00.htm

Ford used its keynote speech at this year's CES to unveil a raft of interesting new car tech, including a new version of its Sync system, which will soon be coming to Australia, as well as intelligent instrument clusters and HD radio.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 14-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #36
axeray

Looks good.
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #37
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ford's Powershift transmission will have 6 speeds, two dry clutches, shift automatically or manually, and no transmission fluid. The system is 30 pounds lighter than current "wet" 6 speed trannies.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=29738

PowerShift provides the full comfort of an automatic with a more sophisticated driving dynamic, thanks to uninterrupted torque from the dual-clutch technology, which consists essentially of two manual transmissions working in parallel, each with its own independent clutch unit. One clutch carries the uneven gears – 1, 3 and 5 – while the other the even gears – 2, 4 and 6. Subsequent gear changes are coordinated between both clutches as they engage and disengage for a seamless delivery of torque to the wheels.

In North America, a dry-clutch derivative of Ford’s PowerShift transmission will be used for added efficiency and durability. A dry clutch transmits power and torque through manual transmission clutch facings, while most automatic transmissions utilize wet clutch plates submerged in oil. As a result, the dry-clutch PowerShift transmission does not require an oil pump or torque converter, providing superior mechanical efficiency.

“A dry clutch is a real sweet spot for lighter vehicle applications,” said Piero Aversa, manager, Ford Automatic Transmission Engineering. “PowerShift is more efficient, it saves weight, is more durable, more efficient and the unit is sealed for life, requiring no regular maintenance.”

There's a lot more at the link.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 23-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
PowerShift provides the full comfort of an automatic with a more sophisticated driving dynamic, thanks to uninterrupted torque from the dual-clutch technology, which consists essentially of two manual transmissions working in parallel, each with its own independent clutch unit. One clutch carries the uneven gears – 1, 3 and 5 – while the other the even gears – 2, 4 and 6. Subsequent gear changes are coordinated between both clutches as they engage and disengage for a seamless delivery of torque to the wheels.
Owning a VW with a DSG (which is essentially the same thing as PowerShift), I can tell you the technology works remarkably. Sticking one behind an XR5 would be neat.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 01:27 AM   #39
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I understand this transmission, or variant of it, is going in the Focus RS in Europe. Thanks for your comments from your experience with this type of transmission. Everything I have read about it sounds great so far!!!

Ford is also working on a system that shuts the engine off at stops and positions it to instantly start and seamlessly take off in cars with this specific transmission in order to save more fuel. It sounds like Ford is looking to eliminate idling all together.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 24-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I understand this transmission, or variant of it, is going in the Focus RS in Europe. Thanks for your comments from your experience with this type of transmission. Everything I have read about it sounds great so far!!!

Ford is also working on a system that shuts the engine off at stops and positions it to instantly start and seamlessly take off in cars with this specific transmission in order to save more fuel. It sounds like Ford is looking to eliminate idling all together.

Steve
There was a fifth gear episode recently with a Smart car using the same tech. The broad said that after 20 or so minutes, you never noticed that the car's engine shuts off and starts up during stop start and feels natural after awhile.

Would be good for commuting around Sydney or Melbourne.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #41
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Active cruise control

Hi all I can remember back in the sixties VW had set up a test track with wires buried under the bitumen and the cars 3 or 4 of them one behind the other just hooking in and keeping the same distance apart with out using the pedals at all dont know what ever became of it though
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #42
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Hi all I can remember back in the sixties VW had set up a test track with wires buried under the bitumen and the cars 3 or 4 of them one behind the other just hooking in and keeping the same distance apart with out using the pedals at all dont know what ever became of it though
John

There's a couple lanes on the highway in California that has magnets implanted in it and cars that are built for it drive themselves down the highway, hands free, while the driver reads the newspaper. I think the idea of building cars and highways like this has gone by the wayside now that they are building cars that can "see".

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 27-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #43
quirdan

Quote:
I think the idea of building cars and highways like this has gone by the wayside now that they are building cars that can "see".
Yes, the idea seems to be to keep the road infrastructure how it is and get the car to read the road like a human would without any machine-only aids embedded in the road -- only in/on the car.
quirdan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #44
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pffffft this parking technology belongs in Toyota's.

It will just result with more incompetent drivers.
However it's a good technology if you have a wife.
Old 27-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #45
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Owning a VW with a DSG (which is essentially the same thing as PowerShift), I can tell you the technology works remarkably. Sticking one behind an XR5 would be neat.
Would make my GF very happy..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #46
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

STUDY: FORD RANKED AS INDUSTRY LEADER FOR QUALITY AND SIGNIFICANCE OF TECHNOLOGY PATENTS

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=29773

DEARBORN, Jan. 28, 2009 – A new study by the world’s leading patent analyst, The Patent Board™, found that Ford Motor Company outperformed all other automakers in the quality and significance of its technology patents.

“Ford’s patented technologies are closer to the cutting edge than its competitors,” says Christine Wren, director of business development for The Patent Board, which tracks and analyzes patents across 17 industries globally.

That's just the first two paragraphs. The whole article is a good read.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #47
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi steve, Is there a market for liquid injection LPG in the states? It seems to be the latest craze down here in OZ. Seems to be bigger savings both in fuel costs and environmentally if you believe all the hype.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #48
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I know a bloke that built his 351C in his 1968 Mustang to run on LPG but that's only because he does LPG systems for a living. Otherwise, no, not much talk or publicity about converting to LPG here. As popular as it is there I am not sure why.

If there was any enthusiasm for it I am sure the oil companies would fix that like they did the other fuels that are being used.

Diesel, which had always been cheaper than gasoline because it is less refined, is now about 90 cents more a gallon than gasoline and did reach more than one dollar more per gallon. A diesel car would get much better fuel mileage than a gasoline car so if diesel costs enough to balance out to there being no cost savings then the deterent is there.

E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) has a priced fixed so that it cannot be more than 50 cents cheaper than gasoline. With there being a 30% loss in fuel milage with E85 there is now no savings in fuel cost because it cannot be cheap enough to make up the difference. The oil compaines, my understanding is, lobbied to get this safety net for themselves made into a regulation.

So if there was a big push for LPG here they would lobby that to also not be beneficial from a regular cost standpoint.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #49
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone will no doubt correct me, but Australia is abundant with LPG to the point that it costs more to store it than a service station makes in profit selling it?

However, I was also told that if we could find a way to set up a natural gas service station network, it would cost $3 a tank (70ltrs) to fill your car and drive around 380kms (250miles)
Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #50
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Someone will no doubt correct me, but Australia is abundant with LPG to the point that it costs more to store it than a service station makes in profit selling it?

However, I was also told that if we could find a way to set up a natural gas service station network, it would cost $3 a tank (70ltrs) to fill your car and drive around 380kms (250miles)

That would be a deal!!

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #51
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Australia 90% of plant mobile equipment (forklift, tug motors etc) in Ford's factories run on natural gas due to the low running cost. Also, in Geelong, our buses all run on natural gas. It's the only way they can run profitably due to low numbers of usage.