Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

Default Computer hot ups! What do you prefer?

Hi blokes, Just wondering,

do you prefer INTEL or AMD cpu's
Nvidia or ATI video cards?

I used to go with AMD but they get to hot and quit.
ATI i dont seem to have much luck with.

So for me it's INTEL and Nvidia.

( Oh and i'm using a celeron 1.1 gig, 512 mb, 80 gig and onboard 8 mb video! Win XP Pro ) LOL!

My AMD quit a year ago and i'm STILL using this! Got it for 50 bucks!
I only use it for the net.

Cheers. :

TERMINATOR X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the first computer iv built myself. Built it a good 18+ months ago

I went with AMD cpu i think its a 5600+ duel core as they were cheaper for the cpu and motherboard package than the Intel for similar specs. If i were to build again id probably go Intel, but again it would depend on price vs performance.

Video card is a nvidia 8600gt. I havnt got anything against ATI how ever a couple of friends have had Ati cards in the past and had some issues with them and they all run Nvidia cards now. In a future PC id use Nvidia before ATI anyday.
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
qwiksix

Depends on what you want if for and how much you are willing to pay for the bang for buck.

For me, the key factor was having an nVidia card. I had an ATI and wasn't happy with their Linux drivers over the couple of years I had them. Might be different now ;-)

CPU didn't matter so much. I've had AMDs and they worked fine. Didn't see much real world difference with my uses between Intel and AMD. Currently it's and Intel.

I guess you could say I'm more a fanboy of Linux than of AMD/ATI or Intel and nVidia...

qs
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I think intel has the architecture at the moment with the i7.
With the cards - check out 3dmark online and see how various combos stack up. I put a 9800GTX+ in my partners PC (Q6600 with 4 gb ram) and the gameplay is as good in most games as my machine with 920 i7, 2 x 4870 x2 in crossfire and 6gb ram. Nvidia seem to have beter drivers at the moment for their big cards (ie - GTX295) but some combos just work well due to a good matching of speeds with motherboard. (FSB on the dual/quad core, QPI on the i7) and the other parts you have on the mobo

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

You know what i thinks weird? For a few years the cpu speeds were going up in mhz around 30% a year, Now they seem to be staying around 3-4 ghz and no more. I mean it's been 3-4 ghz for 3-4 years! AMD say 6000 mhz but really they only run at around 2.5.
Old 15-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMINATOR X
You know what i thinks weird? For a few years the cpu speeds were going up in mhz around 30% a year, Now they seem to be staying around 3-4 ghz and no more. I mean it's been 3-4 ghz for 3-4 years! AMD say 6000 mhz but really they only run at around 2.5.

Problem is any higher and you get problems with timing, it starts about the 3ghz mark. While it looks like a short distance the very high speeds cause havoc. This is why they are going with the architecture they have now.
Old 15-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMINATOR X
Yeah but your getting more and more cores.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

Thanks guys. Interesting.
Old 15-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AMD and NVidia
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

AMD and Nivida my current desktop has and AMD Quad Core 8600. I havce always had AMD chips on my desktop, though Intel chips on laptops.

In reply to someone above the old AMD chips ran quite hot but the new ones seem fine i havent had any problems with my last 2 computer both AMD chips thouhg only have my computer 3 years and then sell it and buy a new one

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I just purchased a new laptop, basic specs are: 2.0 quad core intel centrino 2, with the ATI-radeon 4650, with 2ghz memory. Awesome combo. Plays half-life 2 and crysis warhead on full graphics.

Couldnt be happier with the performance of the ATI.

Cheers
Scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a P4 3.06ghz and an ATi Radeon 9200 Pro. I had an Nvidia GF 5200 but it melted even though I barely played games.

I did a format the other week and thought I'd check on the hardware. The CPU was running at 76 degrees, the heat sink was clogged with dust, there was no thermal paste, and there is not a lot of airflow into the case and it has been this way for years.

I'm surprised it hasn't melted yet. Sure it's not as fast, but pretty good IMO. Good ole reliable Intel :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Intel V AMD
ATi V NVidia
Asus V Gigabyte

Same as Ford V Holden.

I always go Intel because I've always had them, and never had a problem.
I was going to get a EP45-DS3P but went with a P5Q-Pro just because a friend said that ASUS is sooo much better, but really, they're both fine.

I always go ATi because for the price, you get a better product.
I am not saying ATi is better, but for 300 I got a 4870, whereas an NVidia for teh same price would be an inferior card.
I only spent 1100 on my computer (did not pay for a monitor) and it's a good, solid system that can play any game.

And Terminator. Celerons are a crime against computing.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
Hitman
Way over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

Not back in the 'ol days, I used to run a celly 300@450. just about the best bang for buck there was.
:
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Not back in the 'ol days, I used to run a celly 300@450. just about the best bang for buck there was.
:
Also one of the best chips for over clocking.

The biggest issue for the Celeron was the lack of internal cache.
Old 18-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Intel V AMD
ATi V NVidia
Asus V Gigabyte

Same as Ford V Holden.

I always go Intel because I've always had them, and never had a problem.
I was going to get a EP45-DS3P but went with a P5Q-Pro just because a friend said that ASUS is sooo much better, but really, they're both fine.

I always go ATi because for the price, you get a better product.
I am not saying ATi is better, but for 300 I got a 4870, whereas an NVidia for teh same price would be an inferior card.
I only spent 1100 on my computer (did not pay for a monitor) and it's a good, solid system that can play any game.

LOL!
:voldar02: