Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Anyone know how insurance companys class vehicles?

I'm looking around for a car for my daughter who can get her L's in a few months. So I thought I'd ring my insurance company to get an idea of costs to insure a 17 year old P plater with no "no claim bonus" built up.

1. 97 Mazda Astina 1800 class 3, $2400 per annum
2. 97 Toyota Paseo (Baby Celica) 1500, class 6 sports car refused to insure
3. 98 Pulsar 1600 class 3, $1900
4. 99 Corolla class 3 $2100

When I asked what a class 1 would be she said an AU 4 litre Falcon. What would be more of a risk a P plater in an AU or a 1500 Paseo, supposed sports car? which is in the same classifiaction as a Porsche. Does this mean a Hyundai Sprint in a 2 door with a spoiler is a sports car, hardly?

So does anyone know if there's a list of cars and their respective classifications? She told me cars are graded 1 to 6 with a 6 being the most expensive.

Old 20-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Yea pretty strange how they figure it out. I am in a similar boat I bought a subaru to teach my 2 girls how to drive. I have it insured in my name and rang AAMI who said when your daughter gets her "P's" get her listed as a regular driver and she is also allowed free of charge (thru aami) to attend a safe driver training course done at eastern creek. aparently when she is listed as a regular driver of the subie she can gain some NCB points if she dont bend the car. when she buys her own car she may have some NCB accrued to save her some money and if she does bend the subie I have a lifetime NCB with AAMI just pay her extra excess..........races off to touch wood.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one of the reasons i got an xt over an xr6

i think it was like an extra 3 grand for the car itself plus another 4-500 a year on insurance
dumb thing cos its the same car. i mean ive now even lowered it and got aloys. so its a body kit short of being a sports car lol

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Some of the way insurance work stuff out is just plain stupid.

I really think they just cut the head off a chicken and get a witch doctor to read the signs. Ive had some real doozies.Like $4000 a year to insure a $7000 El Gli(despite a rating 1 NCB) or my favourite $1200 to insure my Kingswood for a market value of $1200 (I literally laughed my head off in the office- apparently glass's guide is the bible). Or the fact that I can insure a Toyota Chaser for less than a new model Corolla :

I know they have figures on crash stats but its complete bollocks, I remember them trying to charge me an extra premium when they stuffed up and put down BA mk1 instead of mk2 with the same insured value. Its just like the lottery, the results are totally randomn, but its guranteed that 99% of people are being screwed.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post