Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Crewman, Anyone got one?

Yep, I know this is Ford Forums, but I've been driving Holden work hacks for the last 16 years, my HZ tonna for 13 of those. Its now at the end of its second life and I need to replace it. I am dead keen on a BA, but with a family the Crewman is an option I can't overlook.Not interested in HiLux or other Jap stuff. I would ditch the tub for a tray back. The kids are both under 8yo, so the poor rear room is not a major problem, losing about 500mm of tray is a pain though.
So if you have one, drive one at work or your mates got one please give me some feedback. I've noticed that not many are on LPG compared to the Falcons. Also what is the model range on the BA's, XL,XLS etc and what is poverty pack and which are the more luxo ones? I'm still stuck in the 70s!
Cheers, Dave

fakegt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep hearing that the rear legroom is atrocious? Have you driven one yet?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I keep hearing that the rear legroom is atrocious? Have you driven one yet?
No, haven't driven one yet, which is why I'm keen for feedback. I've heard the rear is good for short trips only for adults, but its my kids who would be in there.
Old 21-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
GUTLES
Adam.

My brother brought a Cross 8 Crewman about 3 months ago for 21k.. Looks pretty nice, has a full stainless exhaust on it, sounds pretty good for a Holden.

He brought it because he lost his company ute & wanted something the kids could jump in too if they have to.. His kids are 16, 13 & 11, theres plenty of room for them, it is a squeeze with 5 adults tho..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

if you must have a crewman, go for the cross8.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Its not just the space in the rear, but the seat is very uncomfortable as its really upright. The car itself is huge. Feels like a tank to drive. Apart form that they're ok.

I dont own one but have driven/worked on one before.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It gets down to the fact that for a tradie with kids you can't have the ultimate work vehicle and family car all in one, its a compromise.
Old 21-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Its not just the space in the rear, but the seat is very uncomfortable as its really upright. The car itself is huge. Feels like a tank to drive. Apart form that they're ok.

I dont own one but have driven/worked on one before.
Agree with the seat. Might be ok for kids. They're quite resiliant
Old 21-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
if you must have a crewman, go for the cross8.
mate a cross8 will suck you out of house and home heavy on fuel sqeaking rear leafs springs diff noise bearings no rear leg room drives like a tank not a good car as a cross8 or a normal crewman holden havent made a good ute for a long time i think the last one was the hk ute :1syellow1
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is really not an equivalent to the Crewman in the availabel price range.
As a child, I sat in the back of an XF Wagon in the middle between my two brothers on drives from Melbourne to Queensland, Mildura, Halls Gap (many times) among many other places over the years. XF seats were terrible, but us children did not even think about that.

Based on the criteria you have stated, the Crewman should be fine.

I haven't driven one, and yes, it will not handle like a dream, but it is possibly the best fot for your needs.

So best wishes with that.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember sitting in the back seat of one when they first came out, i must have been about 15ish? The first thing i noticed is how upright the rear seats sat. Not a whole heap of leg room but i was a big lad... still am haha. Would be fine for kids i would think.
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #12
The Butcher
Banned

to drive one they are great in my opinion but the back seat is no better then a 94 capri.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

We used to have them at work, they are phasing them out now though. Rear seat is pretty cramped for adults, but kids should be ok. The seats are pretty upright though.

They are bloody hard to park due to the size, and it's almost impossible to see properly out of the back of them and reverse. I can't comment on fuel usage though. Otherwise drove like most other holdens.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Check the diff on it when your looking for one.

They're meant to be as reliable as a BA diff.
Old 22-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Matty4
Banana

My brother just picked up a VZ SS Crewman about 2 weeks ago, with the 6lt in it. He's rapt with it so far. He has one 3yo and another on the way so he offloaded a T3 and an AU SE ute to just have one car for work and family.

I took it for a spin the other day and it goes pretty hard too. The rear end is rock hard over speed humps compared to the front end, but I guess that helps with loads and towing though. He's 6'2" and reckons he can sit in the back seat with the drivers seat in his position, but probably not for 3 hours though. The kids will be fine.
Old 22-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rear vision in shocking. apparently something like 10m behind you is unvisable.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
Scott

AN old workmate bought a S/C V8 Crewman and loved it. He lived on a property about 30km out of town and used it to take the kids to and from school as he came in and out for work. He sold it after 3-4 months because his kids started complaining about always having a sore back and whilst they loved the car, they wanted to Dad to drive them to school in Mums Jeep.

I rode in it a couple of times, once in the back, and didn't ever want to go again. It did pull like a train though.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 2 different Mates that each own one, One is an SS that has been edited with an exhaust and slightly lowed, looks good and goes well. He has a 13 yo boy and he is a small kid for his age, the back seat never worries him.

The other is a purple V6 that his miss’s mainly drives. She hates it because she thinks it is too big for her! It has a few battle scares on the rear to prove it. The kids, a 16 yo girl and 18 yo boy always complain about the back seat. I have been in it but it is not really that bad. It may be worse if you need to go long distances though and they have driven from Adelaide to Sydney before.

The V6 is fine for a hack but the V8 is well suited to this car, especially after an edit.

Maybe you need to go for a drive in the back seat yourself to see what all the fuss is about but I don't think it is as bad as people say. Just my opinion.

"Edit" Our BA has an over extended tray and is brilliant for longer loads. Maybe you could consider this as an option. Oh and it had a new diff after 3000 kms as well!

Last edited by Bud Bud; 22-05-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added last line
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

My dad has the cross8 and so does my brother.. I reckon they are a pig to drive. My Dads one best fuel consumption I ever got was 15.8l/100. Steering is horrible, and power not much better.
Although my Bro's one has exhaust and a chip and is on gas (The self switching type that runs fuel when you want power and automatically switched to gas when cruising) and it has reasonable power and much better on fuel.

But considering the options available for this type of vehicle they are not too bad if you need the dual cab ute.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

apparently the cross 6 are quicker than cross 8 too, they had to de tune the 8's for the awd system.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #21
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Father in law had a VZ
later models had better rear seats, less upright.... (marginally)
rough ride, V6 uses just as much fuel as the 8
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
healey

Fuel economy is atrocious even on the V6.
Rear Muffler Removed
Turbosmart Blow Off
260rwkw
healey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #23
kezzer

been in one, pretty good, back seats aren't very good for long distances, the V8 goes really good in them, the 6 uses around 2L less then the 8. I would rather go the VE ute but if ur looking for backseats then I reckon its pretty good.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard that the turning circle is pretty huge also. Might stick with my original BA upgrade, plenty of them on gas. So whats the story with the Diffs? Are they undersized? I am on diff No.3 in the HZ!
What about the RTV? Same diff, anything to look out for on them?
Anyway thanks for the feedback so far.
Cheers, Dave
Old 22-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakegt
It gets down to the fact that for a tradie with kids you can't have the ultimate work vehicle and family car all in one, its a compromise.
I can't remember the last time i saw a Crewman on site, all the trades i work with have dual cab 4x4 or 4x2 Utes, 90% of them are diesel and the other 10% whine about fuel costs.

A cross 8 would good on LPG, but too much space lost with the tank.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #26
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

We have a few in our fleet as company cars, In V6 form, they are heavy, slow and extremely bad on fuel, apart from that they are more more confortable than the 4x4, 4x2 Hilux, Navara, Triton etc..

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #27
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah from what i understand of them most of what is said in this thread is true.
Trying to chuck in too much (ute, dual cab, ride & comfort of a car etc) means that it's good at nothing but being a bit of everything.
And they're loooooooooooooooooong. Longer than a statesman, longer than a landcruiser.
Old 22-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #28
ozfast

yeh, the bossman has two on lease,guzzlers big time! rear seats shizenhowzen,too upright ! goin back to lease company soon! wrong badge on the front too
ozfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #29
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

We agree we've never heard a positive thing about them besides the "but its got room for the kids" they are guzzlers and uncomfortable.

Like someone earlier said they are compromise they're not a full ute and they're not a 5 seater.

We like the idea but we are looking now at a dualcab or getting a trailer........

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #30
Aulpgute

Went to buy one myself but after driving a few variants I ended up with an 06 Hilux dualcab 4.0 4x2. Heaps more interior room in fact on par with our BA sedan. It's ride and handling issues are now fixed with some decent 20' rims and tyres, lowered and softened rear leaf springs. Cream on the cake is the Impco SVI lpg conversion, averaging 450kms for 60lts, couldn't be happier now it is 'de trucked' and set up for my use.
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post