Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
bruster

Default Thinking Of Lowering Your Car?

Check this article by Drive.com.au

Laws on lowering cars 'will save lives'
AAP, July 16, 2009

New laws making it an offence to raise or lower a car's suspension without proper approval is about saving lives, NSW Roads Minister Michael Daley says.

New laws making it an offence to raise or lower a car's suspension without proper approval is about saving lives, NSW Roads Minister Michael Daley says.

From August 1, car owners will be limited to raising or lowering their suspension by no more than five centimetres, and all modifications will need approval from Roads and Traffic Authority engineers.

Currently, a car can be raised or lowered by up to five centimetres without approval and by up to 15 centimetres with approval.

Mr Daley says while drivers may think a lowered car looks "cool" it really is dangerous and any adjustment of more than five centimetres doesn't belong on the road.

"I don't want to see young hoons putting their lives or the lives of others at risk, just because they think their car looks better 15 centimetres closer to the ground," Mr Daley said in a statement.

"Raising or lowering a vehicle's height can put the driver, passengers and other road users at risk.

"It can affect handling, braking and safety features such as electronic stability control."

Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.

bruster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

you're meant to let the road and traffic authority (WA) of any change or modfiaction no matter the size or importance... well as far as i know.
Old 16-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruster
Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.[/B][/I]
Unless they are referring to vehicles manufactured after that date, how are they going to enforce it? I could lower my car at home with second hand parts, removing any paper trail, and give any old date as to when the work was carried out.

It's absolutely ridiculous as there is provision for this in the state laws already.
Just another thing they can add to the "reasons to confiscate that car" list.
Old 16-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

angered me to again read the word hoon in the article lol... wtf come on lol so now everyone who lowers their car is a hoon???
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They use the word HOON rather loosely don't they. I'm 29 years old, spotless driving record, I have full respect for my car and the safety of myself and others using the road. I don't do burnouts, speed or cruise along with 700db of DOOF coming out of my boot. Yet I want to drop my car to the height of some factory models such as the GT (the height of many police cars) and now I'm in the HOON bin? Get outta here! The tool who stopped 4 lanes of traffic as he and his mate spiraled out of control around a busy Melbourne intersection right in front of me last week was a hoon! And what did he drive? A totally standard Commodore at normal height but with 20in wheels at front and 14in bald taxi wheels at the back. Let the authorities not get HOON confused with CAR ENTHUSIAST and penalize both in the same category.
It appears this research of the "dangers" of lowering a vehicle may have been conducted by Beryl and Mavis over a cuppa and one too many Sao biscuits.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, it gets used too often. I am a Torana enthusiast, and do you reckon we lot get it enough? Once the front tyres hit the ashfelt in front of your drive way, the cops are on to you for being a hoon. I am 42 years old, and sure, I have left my fair share of rubber around this great country, but I am no hoon.

Never hear them go on about how responsible drivers are for upgrading their cars!!
Bigger, better brakes. Better tyres, better shocks. And within reason, lowering a car's centre of gravity makes it handle better!? - thus avoiding said accident.

I hate these so called hoon laws. Surely they have better things to police..
Old 17-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

provided your focus is not dumped on its rear with 20" like Zetec20's car was LOL... the cops wont pay too much attention to you.

And i do believe this is for NSW only. so other state haters this doesnt effect you.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Already a thread about this in the Pub:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11266702

Extract:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
I've just been on the phone to the RTA. Apparently this is the go

- There has been no official word (suprise suprise)
- The bloke I spoke to said that the paper has got it wrong
- At the moment they are looking at limiting how much a car can be raised, not lowered.
- Currently the existing 100mm ground clearance / 1/3 suspension travel is still in place
- Any changes would most likely affect any new installations i.e. anyone with changes done befoe August 1st would be ok

This is just what the bloke has told me.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post