Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
ben131185

Default Should I convert to LPG?

I have a 99 build series 1 au done 139,000ks. Never had a mechanical problem. Thinking of converting to gas.
Should I do it?
Any pro's & con's?

Thanks, in advance.

ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lots of pros and cons. I did mine because I am going to keep the car for a long time so I wil get my money back. If you need your boot or use the rear fold seats the LPG tank will kill the seat and you wil lose some space in the boot. (mind you looking at some of the sound systems some people put in the boot you might still have more space)

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yes, AU's love LPG and it'll cost you bugger all to convert after the rebate.
Old 26-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is there any power loss on lpg for the au

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

theres a little bit of power loss but in the long run its Better off i dont realy realy notes a diffrance unless im Giveing it hell but saying tha if im doing that i chage it to pech i love gas best thing
Old 26-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
is there any power loss on lpg for the au
Power loss is dependent more on the gas fitter's competence with the installation and tuning of the system more so than the system itself. Having said that, I would look at the major players if you want a system that will give you the least amount of problems (e.g. IMPCO, Sprint Gas/OMVL, Landi Renzo, Airod).

You probably won't want an injected system on an early-model AU as these systems will cost just as much installed as what your car is worth on the market!

My advice is to do your homework to ensure that you're dealing with a reputable installer.

Regards,
Dave
Old 26-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i guess with the gas system, if you run a cam, have to get a lpg cam, hmmm dont no yet, plus a gas rebuild for the engine,

if i keep the car and dont do any power mods to it i will convert it, ill end up in a v8 anyways

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

hey frd906 whats a gas rebuild bud?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Depends how long you're going to keep the car.

If more than 3-4 years, and you do more than say 10,000 kays a year, then I'd say do it.

I'd go an Impco system myself, as I have one on my SR and I also have a mixer ring set up on my Futura. The Impco gives the most power and has given me the least problems - no problems really.

I've also learned to tune the Impco using the lean and rich led unit under the dash, so it means that's one cost per year I can save.

JC - who's here with me says go with the mixer ring system (Airod or Landi Renzo) but I reckon he's wrong! I reckon the mixer ring system, although good, has a distinct disadvantage as to block the Throttle Body with the ring. Just my opinion, but many will argue either way on the merits of both type of system.

Your choice really but either way I reckon you'll be okay.

Just ensure that your installer has a good rep, and check out carefully a system he's intalled on the car of someone you know, so you can check out where all the piping etc goes.

All the best with your decision.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post