Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Cutaway of new Ford twin turbo V6, Sema..

;

;

Spoke to the head engineer of this project.. When I said Australia is VERY interested in this engine... Said we have a good one already .. With a wry look on his face he said yes it took some beating.. But didn't go into it any further..
I asked where the limiting power or rpm was in this block while doing durability tests... He said the valve gear.. Seat secession etc..
The injector is beside the spark plug...

Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 12-11-2009 at 03:21 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oooo00o...

Was there any pics of a detail sheet or anything?
Did you mean he said yes to Australia getting this engine? Or something else?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Oooo00o...

Was there any pics of a detail sheet or anything?
Did you mean he said yes to Australia getting this engine? Or something else?
I think he means, that the 4.0L was a difficult engine to beat. Kudo's again to Ford Australia on a tremendous engine.

Thanks for the shots EBXR8240!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

There is the normal specs that dealers have.. The exh manifolds leave alot to be custom made in future.. The are basically pressed steel with no pulse tuning..
Keep in mind there is very little room..
The bottom end looks the goods..
They are going to test a Mustang powered engine against am Audi 8 up Pine peaks!!!
If my memory serves me correctly ??
They have already done some comparisons beating the R8 and other cars...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I think he means, that the 4.0L was a difficult engine to beat. Kudo's again to Ford Australia on a tremendous engine.

Thanks for the shots EBXR8240!
This is correct.

Even when Falcon was slated to receive the 3.7, we were never under consideration for the Ecoboost engine.

The American engineers are very jealous of what the Australian guys have achieved with the I6, especially considering the budget Ford Australia has compared to the Yanks.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
This is correct.

Even when Falcon was slated to receive the 3.7, we were never under consideration for the Ecoboost engine.

The American engineers are very jealous of what the Australian guys have achieved with the I6, especially considering the budget Ford Australia has compared to the Yanks.
That's right these guys give NOTHING away..
But I can tell by the wry look on his face..
These engines will pull alot harder up top ..
To take nothing away from our 4.0 camer...
BTW as per VW etc the turbo's are VERY small...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would make a Mondeo fly !!!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
This is correct.

It would have been a bit of rush to get the ecoboost engine here on time anyway andrew.....particulary in the high output version we needed (FPV would have been buggered.....it would have never made enough for that....).

I think its important to look at this as a group effort. Certainly some healthy rivalry is great but alot of the lessons Ford Aus learned on its Turbo program no doubt made their way over to the US during the design of the ecoboost range. We also know that early DIVCT studies by Ford Powetrain were used to help Ford Aus put one of the first DIVCT setups in the ford world onto the BF I6.

The 'step above' position of the I6 (both NA and Turbo) is quite clearly understood by the Ford engineers in the US...and probably finally their corporate division too. There is nothing wrong with the ecoboost 3.5 (or duratec range in general)....unlike GM with the aloytec Ford got the engine right first time. It will only improve with further development. But it clearly is a lower output engine compared to the 4.0 (which is fair enough....it is smaller) and more suited to FWD/AWD applications. With Ford Aus taking the Ecoboost 2.0 I4 it could result in a bit of mutual backscratching.....they have big heavy vehicles that need the extra bit of torque too....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Ummm ??? Not too many big Fords.. Except SUV's ... Mondeo size is popular or SUV.. NO big cars...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Ummm ??? Not too many big Fords.. Except SUV's ... Mondeo size is popular or SUV.. NO big cars...
there are lots of big 'vehicles', not necessarily big 'cars' ;)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two things I immediately dislike on seeing those pictures: It has Variable cam timing but it isn't independent- I and E go at the same time. Other one is the water pump being inside the timing case = a b@stard to fix if it ever goes wrong.

...sorry, WHEN it goes wrong.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
That's right these guys give NOTHING away..

BTW as per VW etc the turbo's are VERY small...
VW's have a bit of go in them...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m still a fan of the straight 6, i would`nt be in hurry to lose a good power unit we already have.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Two things I immediately dislike on seeing those pictures: It has Variable cam timing but it isn't independent- I and E go at the same time. Other one is the water pump being inside the timing case = a b@stard to fix if it ever goes wrong.

GIve it time. Ecoboost I4 already has DIVCT and eventually ford will most likley put it on other engines. The impressive thing about the duratec is its outputs based on first generation development. When you think how many new things have been added to the I6 just since BA you get the picture. If a duratec 3.7 NA non-DI, non DIVCT, can make 370nm and 220+kw already, versus the 3.6 alloytec with DI (cadillac spec) which makes no more....think what will happen in the years to come. The somewhat 'negative' perception of the Duratec engine line up (particular in this country) is due not just to the pro-australian, anti-Yank mantra but also the sheer competitiveness of the I6 we have now. The 4.0 inline is a very undervalued engine in this country and those more impartial observers from OS that don't have a vested interest in whether it lives or dies admit as much. That doesnt mean in the future the duratec can't or won't get the job done in the cars it is fitted to, up to and including locally built models...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 13-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dumb question from something who knows nothiong about engines.. How much benefit do they get from "Twin" turbo-ing an engine? Is is twice as good as a signle turbo? I'd love to see the I6 with twin turbo!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Dumb question from something who knows nothiong about engines.. How much benefit do they get from "Twin" turbo-ing an engine? Is is twice as good as a signle turbo? I'd love to see the I6 with twin turbo!!
That's not quite as simple an answer at it might at first seem.

There are a couple of reasons for choosing twin turbo set ups and one of those is packaging on V-shaped engines - there is a lot less plumbing running two smaller turbos (one for each bank) than a single one. Additionally smaller turbos tend to spool faster and thus produce less lag.

In other implementations of TT systems there is one small and one larger turbo that allows for a strong low RPM response whilst still providing solid boost at higher RPM.

The current I6 wouldn't gain much from a TT set up - the torque it produces from exceptionally low RPM indicates that they have pretty much got the mix of turbo size, compression ratio and boost spot on for the nature of the engine.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i`m still a fan of the straight 6, i would`nt be in hurry to lose a good power unit we already have.
Straight six long-stroke engines are perfect for turbo applications. It is why it works so well in the current models despite what is a relatively crude set-up compared to latest technology. Even with all the latest bells and whistles the latest design short-stroke V6 will never match it off the bottom and into the lower mid-range. Up top though things will be a different story.
Old 23-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon

The V6 only has VCT on the intake cam, not the exhaust, so it can never be independant VCT anyway, unless they make room for a cam phaser on the exhaust cam, and judging by the pics there may not be enough room for another cam phaser to bolt onto the end of the exhaust cam, because the intake phaser seems to take up too much room. As you can see there doesn't seem to be enough room between the rocker and timing covers for another one to be fitted, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, might need a few changes and i'm sure it will happen in the future.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The V6 only has VCT on the intake cam, not the exhaust, so it can never be independant VCT anyway, unless they make room for a cam phaser on the exhaust cam, and judging by the pics there may not be enough room for another cam phaser to bolt onto the end of the exhaust cam, because the intake phaser seems to take up too much room. As you can see there doesn't seem to be enough room between the rocker and timing covers for another one to be fitted, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, might need a few changes and i'm sure it will happen in the future.
Yes that's exactly my point- only one phaser. Perhaps they think a narrower valve angle gives better gains than having DIVCT. I'm sceptical of this- I'd bet on it being more to do with cost and possibly also having a lower bonnet line in FWD cars (A La Mazda K series V6 engines with DOHC but two cams driven by belt then geared to the other two.)
Old 23-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...but looking at those pics I'd say nothing to do with bonnet line- phasers are in the highest possible position...
Old 23-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #21
Falcman0o7
Banned

Don't like the single chain;)
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd take 1 chain over 1 belt any day...