Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Advice needed.

Just after some input on my approach to resolve a stupid Ebay ( : ) problem.

I needed some new tyres for the mont, and also had the desire for some mags for it too.

I won an auction for 4 mags. Here is the description http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

:
I figured,hey, I'd be quite happy to take the missus for a scenic drive to pick them up, make a day of it. We're in Brisbane, wheels in Grafton.
Judged the description as not needing any follow up, didn't seem to be a joker so did the bidding and won.
Got in contact with the seller the to arrange pick-up on the weekend, informed him of where we are coming from, he said no problems. All good.
Rang on Friday to remind him that we are coming down Saturday. Yep no worries. Sounded like a young bloke on the phone. Whatever.
Did the trip, found Grafton, lovely place (stuck in pre-war time by the looks, but beautiful nonetheless).
Rocked up to this place, greeted by a young bloke, he opens the garage and rolls out the wheels.
Immediately i notice that 2 tyres have been smoked up pretty well, there is only about 20-30% tread down the middle of them, the rest would be 50% at best. The other 2 have some slight feathering, 50-60% tread left. Certainly not 90%tread as advised.

Now the rims themselves, well all of them have that crazy tin worm effect underneath the clearcoating, some of which is deteriorated also.
One is mild, only small spots of worm.
Second is a bit heavier with worm.
The other 2 are deadset covered in the stuff, they look attrocious. No simple polishing will fix them as it is underneath the gloss coat.
All 4 basicly need to be stripped back and polished or something.

Now the ad states there is some gutter marks, with 1 wheel having a rash 1/4 of the way around. This description is ok, but my word it is a hell of a gutter rash, worn a few mm off the rim. Fair enough i was warned about that 1, can probably be fixed.

Here's the best part.

I say to the kid, mate these are not what was described, came along way to get these, why didn't you tell me on the phone, blah blah blah.
No threats, no annomosity, just conveyed my slight dissapointment.
So i offer to take them for $200.
He says yeah sure, sorry about that.
So cash handed over and we're on our way home.

Get home, and what do i find, an email from the young bloke. Says his dad has hit the roof. Tyres definately were 90%. I have just ripped off a 16 year old. !!!!

So i reply that i didn't know he was 16, tyres are just about stuffed, rims ugly, let this be a leeson to you mate to describe things accurately, deal is done, yada yada yada.

Get replied to by dad, saying i have 2 options, 1. pay the extra $220 for the wheels or 2. I will send someone to your house to refund your $200 and take the wheels. Or call to discuss further.

So this is where i'm at, I spent $90 in gas (80 series cruiser on lpg)to get there, pretty conservative estimate that is.
Do i;
1. Say nah get stuffed, deal is done.
2. Sure thing mister i'll take the refund of $200 and you come get the wheels
Or my preffered 3. Oh ok how about refund $200 + my fuel consumption of $90, come get your wheels.

I don't want to be a little b17ch about it, just don't want to have to shoot a bunch of nasties that might appear on my door 1 day seeking redemption for dad (worst case scenario, i'm being a bit schitzo i know).

Last time i make a purchase on Ebay for something more than 50klms away, let me tell you, otherwise it's still handy for odds and ends.

:

XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Quote:
3. Oh ok how about refund $200 + my fuel consumption of $90, come get your wheels.
Yes that would seem correct, but if he bitches about that, than im sorry mate, it leaves you no choice but to go for,
Quote:
1. Say nah get stuffed, deal is done
. Accordingly to the statement above is true with the whole tread thing...

Thats what I would do and my advice

Oz,
Old 07-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Does he have your address?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

By the sounds of things, they should be happy you're not going to pursue the matter through eBay. I was under the impression in instances like this where the description doesnt matter the product, eBay can try and force the seller to provide goods that DO match the description.

At the very least i dont think you're under any obligation to hand over the rest of the money.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont give em back the rims or money,but(ebay is an online auction,read the fine print items are sold AS IS,read ebay terms and conditons youll see it)
ebay is and will be BUYER BEWARE that why its an auction(similar terms than all other auctions)
complain threw ebay and tell them the situation (cant hurt could help your case)incase there is any retrepution(man thats a big word)
take pics of the wheels before you do anything to them,just in case
good luck with it
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
xpvanman

He has an Ebay feedback 80% that has been a member since 30 september 09 - Has 1 negative feedback left on the 3rd of December for selling a bike that was not as described.

Tell his old man to be truthfull when listing items for sale & This is a valuable lesson learned - And you are not the only person that was deceived when this kid has listed items for sale - according to his feedback!
xpvanman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Tobey
BF Ute...

Dont that he would have your address or would be bothered driving 80k's to get a set of wheels.

IMHO Empty threats...

Keep the wheels.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both wheels and tyres were stu##ed? from what you said about the surface of the wheels they would need professional repair and resurfacing. Unless you desperately needed them, you should have said NO SALE, items were not as described and given him negative feedback with that as the reason. By the way sellers can no longer give negative feedback as too many were giving retaliatory feedback to buyers who were not happy with the condition of their won items. Write the $80 of lpg off as experience.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Tavers

You know what I find amusing - he's making threats to come get you, yet you know where he lives? Tell him to stuff off. Do they know your address? What details of yours do they have?

Deal was done. By the sounds of it, the kid accepted it, handed over the goods.
Tavers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
Both wheels and tyres were stu##ed? from what you said about the surface of the wheels they would need professional repair and resurfacing. Unless you desperately needed them, you should have said NO SALE, items were not as described and given him negative feedback with that as the reason. By the way sellers can no longer give negative feedback as too many were giving retaliatory feedback to buyers who were not happy with the condition of their won items. Write the $80 of lpg off as experience.
Your absolutely right graham, however in the heat of the moment i decided i would be happy to offer $200, it was accepted, i drove away with them. Transaction agreed to by both parties.
They are not totally stuffed, but the 2 most worn tyres have only 1mm tread left, the other 2 50% at the most, confirmed by a local tyre fitter i approached this morning.
I did not expect an amazing looking set of mags, just what was described, I negotiated the price down fairly to compensate for the discrepency, as i have done on numerous occasions.
Some Ebayers even do this themselves.
I bought a bbq months ago, bloke delivered it, he noticed then and there that a burner mount had rusted away totally and fell off, so offered to knock off $50, i said thats great, problem resolved.
I can see why some on here steer well clear of the site, it's just about not taking chances, ask questions and inspect things first if any doubts.

Thanks for all the opinions.
I have sent another reply, lets just say i'm keen to keep them now, as they still look better than my old rolling stock.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

If Dad's not happy then he should have been there when you picked them up.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
Does he have your address?

^^^ YES ^^^

Once an item is bought or sold, the buyer/ seller has your address.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Well that sucks.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy
^^^ YES ^^^

Once an item is bought or sold, the buyer/ seller has your address.
NOPE

Only when checkout for postage of item is the address provided to seller.
I did not complete the checkout as i rang and organised cash on pick up.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
NOPE

Only when checkout for postage of item is the address provided to seller.
I did not complete the checkout as i rang and organised cash on pick up.
wether or not the seller has your address is a moot point, as it is simple to request contact details, and if your contact details on ebay are not correct you will be the one booted from ebay.

my vote, keep the rims and tell the old man to get stuffed. a deal is a deal.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

tell `em their dreamin
:

`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be an empty threat to come and get them.

In any event tough take some good pics of the conditions of the rims and tyres. Print off a copy of the ad too so you have a copy of the description. If by some chance a dispute does come about you will have some evidence to back up your claims that they were not as described. See if you can put a ruler or something in the tread on one of the pics to accurately guage the tread depth.

Good luck, hopefully its just all bluff.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I would not respond at all..................Leave it as it is if your happy....
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Option 1, then report them to ebay as well, screw them people like that are the kind that ruin ebay for the majority of people who are honest about there items for sale.

Edit: Pinch is right, get photos of everything asap, incase it goes south.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #20
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Could be an empty threat to come and get them.

In any event tough take some good pics of the conditions of the rims and tyres. Print off a copy of the ad too so you have a copy of the description. If by some chance a dispute does come about you will have some evidence to back up your claims that they were not as described. See if you can put a ruler or something in the tread on one of the pics to accurately guage the tread depth.

Good luck, hopefully its just all bluff.
This is a good idea, proof is in the pudding. Just ignore the response from his father and if there is persistence, I suppose one could present the evidence. After all, a deal is a deal.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

tell him to come. call his bluff and if he shows up hit him first
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he is 16, im pretty sure he shouldnt be allowed on ebay to sell anyways.

Found me a link
http://answercenter.ebay.com.au/thre...000003&start=0

So you can turn around and tell him that you arent allowed to sell under the age of 18 anyways. That should slow him down a bit.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #23
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Most probably an empty threat, but if you are happy with your $200 purchase, and you do get a visit, just let them know that both they are in breach f Ebay policy on two counts (due to the sellers age, and false descriptions) and that if they still have an issue, you are more than happy to take it up with official channels.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #24
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
If he is 16, im pretty sure he shouldnt be allowed on ebay to sell anyways.

Found me a link
http://answercenter.ebay.com.au/thre...000003&start=0

So you can turn around and tell him that you arent allowed to sell under the age of 18 anyways. That should slow him down a bit.
i was thinkin this age thing as well but then i realised that the product would have to be refunded and thats all that would happen... then he loses his gas money anyways.....
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If it cost you 80$ in LPG I'd hate to think what it'd cost in petrol
I wouldn't worry too much, if they come visit you over some wheels when you're so far away, then you can still call the police if they get violent. Either way it sounds like an empty threat. Stress not.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post