Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Benny
TTG Owner

Default Buying a car without custom plates

OK, so I am looking at buying a car from Vic, traveling from Hobart to purchase it. But the car has custom plates which I don't want, or can use seeings as they are vic plates anyway. So if I buy the car without the plates, what do i do for plates while I drive it home to Hobart?
Thanks, Ben.

Old 30-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
GUTLES
Adam.

What are the plates on the car?

You'll have to get in contact with Vic Roads & get an exemption to drive the car until you register it in Tas.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Give vic roads a ring and apply for a permit to move an unregistered vehicle it will cost you about $30 the current owner removes the plates and cancells the rego and gets a bit of cash back and you can legally drive the car via the most direct route legally.
I bought my TE from melb. in june and drove it back no plates all ok the permit I got lasted a week and cost about $40 rang the rta in NSW and they said it was right to do it like that.
To get the permit you need the vin current rego dtls and owners name etc and you can do like I did and get your permit before you leave home.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, cant you get a generic set reissued for that car? thats how i did mine in NSW, dont know how different Vic is from it though.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Give vic roads a ring and apply for a permit to move an unregistered vehicle it will cost you about $30 the current owner removes the plates and cancells the rego and gets a bit of cash back and you can legally drive the car via the most direct route legally.
I bought my TE from melb. in june and drove it back no plates all ok the permit I got lasted a week and cost about $40 rang the rta in NSW and they said it was right to do it like that.
To get the permit you need the vin current rego dtls and owners name etc and you can do like I did and get your permit before you leave home.

Driving with no plates...wouldn't that be like red rag to a bull in terms of being pulled over on the cops on the way up?.....or do you get a special plate to use on the trip? Cheers
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
WickedF18
FG G6E Turbo

No they don't give special plates, just a permit that you must display on the windscreen.

Mark
WickedF18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Get the previous owner to go into vic roads and ask for a set of standard issue plates. They will remove the custom plates and re-issue the car rego with standard vic plates. That way he/she can keep the plates, you can still buy the car and its still registed to drive it home for ya.
Old 31-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
Benny
TTG Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
Get the previous owner to go into vic roads and ask for a set of standard issue plates. They will remove the custom plates and re-issue the car rego with standard vic plates. That way he/she can keep the plates, you can still buy the car and its still registed to drive it home for ya.
Now that is the best idea yet, I will talk to the owner and get him to do that.
Old 31-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Benny you can buy the car with the custom plates, then when you get home register it for Tassie and hand the custom plates in, its that easy. In Victoria you can buy your custom plates and put them on your car then when you sell the car, if you sell it with the plates on it they automatically become the property of the new owner, there are no special charges here in VIC for displaying custom plates, so I suggest you speak to the owner of the car when you buy it ask him if he wants his plates if so sweet he can go to VIC Roads and put a standard set on the car costing him about $30, its just a straight swap and off you go, if he does not want the plates no problem for you again car is registered take it home register it Tassie hand in the vic plates.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
Benny you can buy the car with the custom plates, then when you get home register it for Tassie and hand the custom plates in, its that easy. In Victoria you can buy your custom plates and put them on your car then when you sell the car, if you sell it with the plates on it they automatically become the property of the new owner, there are no special charges here in VIC for displaying custom plates, so I suggest you speak to the owner of the car when you buy it ask him if he wants his plates if so sweet he can go to VIC Roads and put a standard set on the car costing him about $30, its just a straight swap and off you go, if he does not want the plates no problem for you again car is registered take it home register it Tassie hand in the vic plates.
Not that Easy LTDTerri - what you are saying only works if you are registering the car in VIC as the new owner - not in TAS.

Basically, if you are buying a car and taking it interstate, you need to do the transfer or registration... and you can't do this between states (its just that simple).
Therefore you will be driving the vehicle unregistered once you are the new owner (as the vehicle was REGISTERED to the current/previous owner) if you just keep the plates on and drive it to Port Melbourne Docks.

You could take the risk and hope that you don't crash or get pulled over.... Or you could get a permit from Vicroads to drive it to Port Melbourne.

I believe that the easiest way would be to get the seller to take it to Port Melbourne and do the 'deal' there, that way he is the registered owner until you get the paperwork/keys at the docks...

Then you can drive it straight onto the boat, and drive it off at Devonport.
Then you would need to work out with TAS RTA what permits are available to drive an unregistered vehicle.

Or save your money and get a transport company to do the work for you... It will work out around the same cost / cheaper than if you pay for a flight to Melbourne, and a Boat Ride back to Tas (with the car).

Good companies are out there with good reputations, just make sure you get one that has transit damage cover, and save the hassles....
Old 31-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Yep Loftie I get what you are saying and it makes sence I have no experience in buying cars interstate, but Benny's main concern is that the car has custom plates, and for that here in Victoria at least there is no difference to the way rego works with or without custom plates.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Benny
TTG Owner

The only reason I don't want the plates is because the seller is selling the car cheaper without them.
I will have to talk to Service Tas and Vic Roads to find out what my options are.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

If you purchase the car, you can legally transfer it into your name and then have upto 14 days to supply a road worthy. Now, i'm not sure on TAS, but if ya transfer a car from NSW to VIC in ya own name there is no need for a road worthy at all. But in saying that atleast if you transfer it then you have 14 days of legal registration, so its would be in your name and give you plenty of time to drive it home safely.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Qld to Vic

I just read that if you transfer from NSW (QLD) to VIC you dont need a RWC that doesnt sound right to me but if its true I might go that way
I was thinking of moving back south any way 25 years in QLD and the costs have gone through the roof
in 1984 it cost me $285 for V8 rego now its over $1000 and wages have not gone up to match
anyway enough of that do you know if it works that way with a club rego car"
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
irishacre
Starter Motor

Default Bought car from Tassie.

Hi All,

I am in South Australia and have bought a car from Tassie. When it goes to Regency Park will it have to have a full inspection. Very original..just a bit lowered. Anyone have any idea

Cheers

Judy C
irishacre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Hi mate, Regency arent too bad for normal vehicle inspections. They will get you to lift up your bonnet and check engine number to chassis number etc. Make sure its not stolen etc. When I took my Typhoon through, all was fine except they made me rip off my window tint (2 front windows only) and drive home without me being able to see out of my two front windows.. This was safer than my just too dark tint (un-beknown to me coz i bought it from Victoria) as the glue residue was still on the glass and i couldnt wind the windows down. Im sure if its not ridiculously lowered you will be fine. If all ok, they give you a pass slip, then you go to the motor reg and they will issue you with new number plates, and there you will pay stamp duty, rego, inspection fee etc... Any more questions pm me.
G
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
loosey

It's a shame you don't live down south. If you work down south you could possibly tell them you can't make it to Regency but will be able to get to Sturt police station before/ after work. That way it will only be a police officer checking you car rather than a vehicle inspector. The other thing is make sure don't have any obvious defects (bald tyres, visible rust etc)
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post