Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #31
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

There are some roads around here that have had some (fatigue related) fatal accidents, so what does the RTA do, they lower the speed limit from 100kph down to 80kph.
Now thats all well and good (in theory) when its late night or early morning, when the traffic is low and you can actually do the speed limit (or more), and someone who is fatigued nods off at the wheel. The reduced speed limit in these situations are bound to be a positive factor for a head on or a collision with a tree etc.
But, during normal hours, when the traffic is heavy and you have your usual inept drivers plodding down the road at 10kph under the speed limit (now doing only 70kph). With no overtaking lanes and little overtaking oportunities, is it really the safest option? :togo:
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #32
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
like i have said previously, us harping on in here won't do us much good.

all the car clubs and forums need to get together and back one person to elect as an independant to federal government.

nick xenephon did it on a no pokies platform

we need to do it on a drivers platform of some kind .

a "voice for motorists"

and the government hates dissent as much as the media love it, so they would be willing to compromise on almost everything.

marketed properly, how many votes you think someone would get?
I am all for this and have mentioned in another thread a similar thing. your idea sounds like a good start.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #33
Fantome

I'm the senior volunteer (Group Captain) for the NSW Rural Fire Service for the area that covers the Newell Highway near Gilgandra from Eumungerie to Tooraweenah. Since the introduction of the 100 kph limit the number of callouts for brigades to MVAs on the Newell under my command has doubled. All of these have occured between the hours of 10pm and 7am and bar one have been single light vehicle. The only one involving a truck was a sideswipe that occured after car driver swerved to avoid a rabbit. Please feel free to draw your own conclusions
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #34
Terraplainin'

My conclusions cannot be typed into a family rated forum.
Terraplainin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post