Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Murph The Smurf ruled out to Host Top Gear !!!!!

Top Gear rules Murphy out of V8 openerJanuary 11, 2010 - 3:29PM .
AAP

V8 Supercar driver Greg Murphy will miss the opening round of this year's season - and it's all popular British television show Top Gear's fault.

The New Zealander, who recently announced a move to Paul Morris Motorsport, will not race at Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina circuit because he has been forced to honour an agreement with the Top Gear Live show.

That means while the V8 season gets underway in the Middle East Murphy will be appearing at Auckland's ASB Showgrounds alongside hosts Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond from February 18 to 21.

Team owner Paul Morris will take over at the wheel of Murphy's Commodore for the season-opener.

"He's got commitments elsewhere, so we've just planned around that and I'll drive the car," Morris told motorsport website SpeedCafe on Monday.

"I'd rather Murph drive the thing, to tell you the truth, but at least it gives me the opportunity to look at the track and blow some cobwebs out.

"I think I'll go fine. The last race I did, I came seventh (Bathurst 1000 with Tim Slade) and the last sprint race I did I finished in the top 10 (Oran Park 2008). I don't think I've lost any of my speed. I'm looking forward to having a drive."

Morris also said the four-time Bathurst champion's absence from the field in Abu Dhabi wouldn't damage his team's new sponsorship deal with Castrol.

"Castrol has been well aware of the situation - we're not into taking people on mystery tours," he said.

"When Murph's name was mentioned as a candidate for the job, they were told that there was a good chance that he wouldn't be at the first round.

"They were happy with that. They know about it. It's no surprise to them."

Murphy will now make his debut for Paul Morris Motorsport in the season's second round at Bahrain from February 25 to 27.

© 2010 AAP

Last edited by Auslandau; 11-01-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Fixed title to be a bit more acurate
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
g220ba
FGX XR8

i think the really worrying thing is they're letting morris loose on the track again.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^agreed
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
i think the really worrying thing is they're letting morris loose on the track again.
Bahaha! Top call.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will need two different seats cos Murphy is about 80kg wringing wet and Morris about 120kg.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

One less round for Murph to whinge...........
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Murph The Smurf ruled out to Host Top Gear !!!!!
Title is ambiguous at best, incorrect at worst.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Certianly is a scary thought!