Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
spi1
Starter Motor

Default petrol gauge and computer range reading weird?

are the petrol gauges on ford focus accurate and why would the computer showing the range (in km) move up and down????

spi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
warren77

Accuracy: can not comment on that for Focus.
Movement: that would be based on a rolling average of your current usage. In my Mondeo XR5, I can start a long trip on a full tank saying 550km. 30 minutes later after being on 110km, it now reads 750 (despite having done 50km). Get into town again, and drops back to around 400 with stop/start driving.

So makes perfect sense to me!
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Unless you drive at a perfectly constant engine speed, with no inclines or declines, of course it is going to vary.

It's not a crystal ball that can see how you're going to drive over the next 400km. It looks at your current rate of fuel usage, and calculates from that.

You really aren't enjoying this car are you?

I'd suggest you sell it and get a Holden
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
819_FLY

Yeh I was thinking the exact same thing. I haven't had a problem with my car, yet you seem to pick on anything that you can. Might be bad luck or just the type of person you are. When I was driving back up to Townsville, I put 5 bucks in to make it to the next main town and had 100km on the range, 5 bucks didn't change it, the next town was 120km away, so I drove anyway, got to 90km on the range an I had done 30km on the road, it might now accurately depict how far you have straight away but it isn't an unreliable device as seen in some other cars. P.S. For those in suspense, I got into the next town with 50km left in the tank, was good fun haha.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
spi1
Starter Motor

Yes I may be too fussy! Just my nature. But, yes I have not enjoyed this car one bit!

I just want reliability. I need car that starts, goes and stops and a service according to the log book. I am going tomorrow to see a toyota camry. I think I need one!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by spi1
. . . I have not enjoyed this car one bit!

I just want reliability. I need car that starts, goes and stops and a service according to the log book. I am going tomorrow to see a toyota camry. I think I need one!
That is a real shame SPI1. My experience over the past 12months is that these are a terrific little car.
I love it but it sounds like you and this particular beastie just aren't made for each other.
Mind you, if a Camry appeals (good reliable car) I suspect you will never be happy with a Focus.
Good luck Mate I hope you get to happy motoring soon.
Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

The computer showing km range in the Camry will also go up and down.

But I think a Camry may suit you.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Computer is quite accurate, ie when the trip meter hits 0 you still have 40km or so.

I after the first 50kms after filling my DTE doesn't really move in massive amounts.

I've noticed though the gauge is a exponential gauge. If you have 700kms DTE, after the first 100kms it will already display 1/4 tank gone, another 150kms will show it at 1/2, 200kms later will be 1/4 left and another 250kms the tank will be empty.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for a long Hwy or Fwy drive, it normally sorts it out every now and then. As for a Camry over a Focus, i feel sick.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
spi1
Starter Motor

My destination computer reading seems to moving south now as I use more fuel. But the gauge seems to be on 3/4.When the computer has 450Km to go gauge reads 3/4 when it's 370 Km to go 3/4??? I did notce the other day it moved before by eyes to near 1/2 but then moved back to close to 3/4 again!!
Generally is the instrument cluster reliable, I've heard of issues with the 2003 model??
PS. I have to say prior to this my mechanic checked the fuel pump for any faults, so he had to take out the the fuel tank. Would any fiddling around here contribute to the problem???
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be your fuel sender that is playing up. My 03 had the issue and fixed under warrenty. If your mechanic doesn't know what to look for on a Focus maybe he has played with something he shouldn't have.

I have looked through your other thread as well and it seems to me you haven't done your research on the car you bought. Maybe the next car you buy make sure you find out cost of servicing/parts and known issues before buying it. Hope you have a great time in a Toyota!

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my AU and my BA the DTE moves on these, why would a focus be different??

afaik it works on the average l/100 firstly and then moves from there case and point filled the AU today said a lame 450kms got it on the hwy and it blewout to just over 700 till I started driving round town again where it dropped back down (the dte) if it is working on average l/100 this makes perfect sense to me just a simple mathematical equation to get the number - that simple little number on the dash is sorely missed by me in my older car and I don't know how I ever lived without it

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post