Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

Default Car Bras - More Harm than Good?

I have convinced myself that I should get a Car Bra after I collect my car from being resprayed on the front bar at the spraypainters, but have heard horrible stories of them pealing clear coat and scratching the duco?

Do 'genuine' car bras damage the front guards and bonnet instead of just protecting the front bar and grill?

Jeremy.

BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
BOSHOG
avenge me

as long as you keep the car bra clean as well as the car itself and put it on properly you wont have a problem with scratches due to rubbing
Old 13-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KED
I have convinced myself that I should get a Car Bra after I collect my car from being resprayed on the front bar at the spraypainters, but have heard horrible stories of them pealing clear coat and scratching the duco?

Do 'genuine' car bras damage the front guards and bonnet instead of just protecting the front bar and grill?

Jeremy.
Im pretty sure those 'horror stories' are from people who throw them on a dirty car, and leave them on when it rains etc.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Search is your friend:

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247331
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No problems here and ive had em on 3 cars.. Awesome.. Just haivng time to put it on before a trip can be an issue if its spare of the moment.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I've used them on 2 cars and wouldn't be without one on long country drives
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
gregsAUII
Me AU's cheap and clean.

never had any dramas. just keep the bra clean and the car and you'll be fine.

Daily - 2013 SR5 Hilux
Toy - 2000 AUII Falcon
Toy - 2010 Kawasaki ZX10-R
Her's - 2017 Camry SX
gregsAUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Never had a problem either. Always make sure the Bra is clean, and the car is clean and your set.
Old 14-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Keep the car bra clean and make sure you at the very least use some QD, to go over the area where the car bra sits, before fitting. I also pop another coat of wax or two on that area when waxing the car for added protection.
Might want to also invest in some headlight protectors to use when the car bra is fitted.
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think they look terrible but understand why you would use one out in the country/on an interstate trip. They do work but...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also if you have to have one when your doing interstate/country etc, sounds like your following trucks/other cars too closely. Ive never owned one for any of my cars, and while i have always had a plastics pack on it (bonnet and headlight protectors) ive never had any issues with rocks or stones etc damaging the paint.
Old 14-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Personally I think they look terrible....
It's not as if people buy them to be a fashion accessory.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbird
Might want to also invest in some headlight protectors to use when the car bra is fitted.
a very good suggestion and something that i do myself!
Old 14-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also don't think you're supposed to use them on recently painted cars. Got to leave it a few weeks or a month so you don't damage the paint.

But they are worth every cent. Protection from chips is only one thing, but protection from bugs too. Last thing you need is splattered bugs from night time driving staining the paint because you cant get to clean them off quick enough.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
F6T
Has V8 envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
as long as you keep the car bra clean as well as the car itself and put it on properly you wont have a problem with scratches due to rubbing
Boshog has it right. I'd never be without one but was lazy once and left it on with a bit of dirt and rain and had a nasty scratch show up on the bonnet where it had rubbed.

But keep it and the car clean and you shouldn't have any dramas.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

I think the 3M clear car bra film is the way to go. Doesn't ruin the car's looks, can protect the whole front end (up to A-pillars and both front fenders/headlamps/side sills/rear wheel arches), and no risk of damage to paint from rubbing.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
1999 AU I Falcon XR8 (sold)
2007 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2009 Lotus Elise S
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a car bra for my last 3 cars and have just picked one up for my G6ET., wouldn't do a country trip without one.

Last year I went to Tassie, i was away for 19 days and had the car bra of once to give the car a wash when leaving Tassie. put it back on when I got to Melbourne, not a mark on the car when it was removed.

As long as you follow the instructions and also give the front of the car a wax before fitting yu will have no problems at all with it.

Another tip is when you get one, apply vinyl protector to the car bra as it not only protects the vinyl but also makes it easier to clean the bugs off when you are finished. I reapply it every time I remove the car bra from the car.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I bought an Autotecnica one off ebay, I've got no idea how to put it on so it's just sitting around never being used :P
There's not to many stone chips at all but it will obviously build up all the time and I do love my long country drives and trips.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #19
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Dude
I think the 3M clear car bra film is the way to go. Doesn't ruin the car's looks, can protect the whole front end (up to A-pillars and both front fenders/headlamps/side sills/rear wheel arches), and no risk of damage to paint from rubbing.
Where do you get this from? Sounds worth while looking into
Old 15-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
290v
290v

What i do i put a layer of polish on where the bra sits but don't polish it off and put the bra over the unpolished surface when i reach my destination i remove the bra and polish the polish off
Old 15-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #21
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
I bought an Autotecnica one off ebay, I've got no idea how to put it on so it's just sitting around never being used :P
There's not to many stone chips at all but it will obviously build up all the time and I do love my long country drives and trips.
Getting chips etc depends largely on how you drive it, if you are following semi's too close or sitting too close to the center line you will be in stone chip heaven. If you keep decent spacing you will have little/no issues (well ive never had issues at all)

I lived out in the bush for 18 years and all our cars fronts looked fine when we sold the cars, a couple of small marks but you would get worse driving around sydney these days.
Old 16-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #22
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
It is great but not cheap. Russell has it on the 300C and loves it. Not all that affordable for everyone - I'm still waiting!. PM him and he can give you the details - Russellw. We will put this on my car the next time I repaint the front bar.

I have a car bra for the GT-P and I always put headlight protectors on first to stop any rubbing of the headlights, wipe the car down with Final Inspection before fitting and always have everything spotless. I have also used gladwrap around the edges on long trips but the flapping (once the bra slipped a bit) gave me the . If you take the bra off once you arrive and go over the car with Final Inspection again, it is fine.

I bought my car bra second hand for $200 and it was one of the best investments I have made.

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #23
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Quote:
In Vic: http://www.ozishield.com.au/

In NSW: http://www.ozicozi.com.au/surfacetech/

All my mates with exotics have it applied to their cars. It can be removed down the track if need be without damaging the paint. I had it applied to the entire front clamshell, side sills, mirror backs, rear wheel arches and headlights of my Lotus. When I get the front of my Evo IX resprayed (due to bad stonechips), I'll be having it fitted to the whole bonnet, front fenders, side sills and bumper. I only found out about the 3M film after the damage was done. :( Didn't make the same mistake twice.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
1999 AU I Falcon XR8 (sold)
2007 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2009 Lotus Elise S
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #24
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Dude
In Vic: http://www.ozishield.com.au/

In NSW: http://www.ozicozi.com.au/surfacetech/

All my mates with exotics have it applied to their cars. It can be removed down the track if need be without damaging the paint. I had it applied to the entire front clamshell, side sills, mirror backs, rear wheel arches and headlights of my Lotus. When I get the front of my Evo IX resprayed (due to bad stonechips), I'll be having it fitted to the whole bonnet, front fenders, side sills and bumper. I only found out about the 3M film after the damage was done. :( Didn't make the same mistake twice.
Didn't expect it to cost that much, I'll try'n work out how to use my car bra instead :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
Getting chips etc depends largely on how you drive it, if you are following semi's too close or sitting too close to the center line you will be in stone chip heaven. If you keep decent spacing you will have little/no issues (well ive never had issues at all)

I lived out in the bush for 18 years and all our cars fronts looked fine when we sold the cars, a couple of small marks but you would get worse driving around sydney these days.
That actually makes sense, I copped a nasty stone (resulted in massive stone chip) on my bonnet as a truck past me in Country Victoria.