Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V8 Conversion Questions

Ok so i plan to put a V8 in my 2002 AU wagon this year.

I want to get it registered as an 8 and the only way i can see this happening (due to needing it engineered) is if i put the stock V8 (175kw from a 2001 ute) into it for the ease of getting this engineered.

I have all of the parts i need, however i now believe that i will need a V8 k frame as it is different to that of a 6cyl. Can someone confirm this for me.

Also, if someone can point me in the direction of someone who has converted their 6cyl AU to a V8 would be much appreciated as i really can't find much on it anywhere.

Things in order for an engineer to pass it as a V8 (that i think will need to be sorted out.)

- Brakes (shouldn't be a problem as i believe the 175kw V8's brakes are no different to a forte)
- Suspension (again don't believe the springs or shocks were any different)
- Emissions (I don't believe there were any changes between the donar car (2001) and the recipient (2002). I think that new changes to the ADR's with regards to emissions (Euro 2) were brought in for petrol cars on the 1st jan 2003.
- Chassis (not too sure but hoping there was no difference here)

Feel free to add anything that i haven't listed or thought of or anything else that may be of any help. Doesn't matter how small or in significant it may seem.

Once it is engineered as an 8 then the fun starts (More power new motor etc)

Thanks in advance, Rhys.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

who told you you need it engineered? in qld and this is the only state that i know about though, but an engineer certificate is not required for a car thats model was originally offered as v8 when installing a v8 motor from that model range the only thing required is a mod plate which can be gained from any authorised inspection station. having said that it may very well be different in victoria. chassis is the same as well as brakes, emissions should be the same and the suspension is different(spring rate) but they shouldn't or wouldn't really notice but adding v8 springs or aftermanket would be better.

the k frame fhough look the same to me, ea to ed required changing the k frame but apparently ef el this was not necessary and if this was the case they more than likely would have carried this over to the au. but being a two piece this may be different.some please correct me if i am wrong. and also the motor your installing is supposed to be the same age or newer than the car its going into but this may not be a problem for you as its an au motor going into an au.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

^^if this is the case, go a 220 XR motor. save a bit of coin from doing up the 175kw.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it looks like VicRoads is going to make this a little easier than i thought.

Thus far it looks like i will be able to put the standard V8 (175kw) into my wagon and by getting appropriate paperwork for part numbers and so on from ford to determine if the brakes, suspension etc are the same or different. Then once it is all passed as a v8 i can then either stroke my motor or by a crate motor.

I got the response from vicroads when inquiring about putting a fairmont spec v8 in my wagon.

Quote:
Hi,

If the manual transmission you wish to convert to is also out of an AU Falcon and bolts straight into your wagon without any structural modifications then this will not require a certificate.

An engine which is of a type offered by the manufacturer as an option for that vehicle may be fitted providing that all other related components including structure, suspension, brakes etc., are equivalent to those fitted to a vehicle of the same model supplied with that engine type as optional original equipment by the manufacturer. You will need to check to see if the Fairmont V8 had different suspension, brakes, catalytic converter, etc. If so, then these items will also require to be converted.

Acceptable evidence must be supplied certifying that the above components are fitted and the vehicle in its modified form is safe and complies with the applicable mandatory requirements for that vehicle model. BBR>
Acceptable evidence includes
- A completed declaration signed by either a motor mechanic, including the owner if qualified, an automotive engineer, or an agent for the vehicle owner; or
- A letter or certificate from an authorised dealer for the make of vehicle concerned, certifying that the modified vehicle meets all applicable requirements; or
- An Engineer's assessment report

A VASS (Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme) is a system where a VicRoads accredited engineer/workshop carries out modifications for approval that are outside VicRoads allowable modifications (see VSI 8) to ensure that the vehicle remains compliant. As the engine you wish to upgrade is available as an option for the Fairmont and all other related components are upgraded (if any) then a VASS Certificate will not be required.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine and transmission details. You iill also need to complete a 'Change of Vehicle Description form'.

Regards,

Vehicle Standards
I do have one more question though. Is the engine bay wiring loom (the left hand side which includes the plug that goes onto the motor) the same between the 6cly and v8 models.

This is the loom which goes through the firewall and plugs into the ecu/dash wiring loom.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldnt think the wiring is the same,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

i would say the engine bay loom would be diffrent. If the engine is easy to get- then getting a loom shouldnt be an issue.