Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #61
ZC001
Cruisin

Speed camera. Great idea ! The fine arrives in the mail a few weeks after the funeral.
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #62
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
Speed camera. Great idea ! The fine arrives in the mail a few weeks after the funeral.
Yep hardly helpful :

Get more cops on the road

It seems that the empathisis is always on speed and it is really bloody annoying! It is a problem but not the ONLY problem with what is wrong on the roads.

A speed camera can only bust people for speeding. It can't catch people for anything else and it doesn't matter where you are, it's not a problem limited to this particular location.

FFS roads continue to be in abysmal state. Russell Dr is one in Canberra for those that are familiar and that's only one I drive on a regular basis. This road is in DIRE need of upgrade in terms of road surface
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #63
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

See I'm generally against speed cameras, but this road is where they are absolutely justified and 100% necessary. Plant a few cameras down there and they'll be doing the speed limit in no time. Just look at the long, straight tunnels in Sydney with cameras in them... EVERYONE sits on 80km/h until they get out of the tunnel, then they floor it......
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #64
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

This maybe a little older, some maybe aware already... but still.

I see your 160 and raise you 90

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/la...bWwmYWxsPTE%3D

Quote:
‘P’-plater caught travelling at 249km/h - Moorebank
Sunday, 21 Mar 2010 05:16am

A P2 driver has been charged and his licence suspended after allegedly being caught travelling at 249km/h in a 100km/h zone.

About 1.25am police from Liverpool Local Area Command were conducting speed enforcement duties on the M5 motorway at Moorebank when they detected a Holden sedan travelling at 249km/h.

Police stopped the vehicle and spoke to the 26-year-old male driver, who produced a P2 licence.

He was arrested and taken to Liverpool Police Station where he was charged with drive at a speed/manner dangerous, exceed speed over 45km/h and not display ‘P’ plates.

He is due to appear at Liverpool Local Court on 15 April 2010. His licence was also suspended.

P2 drivers are limited to 100km/h.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #65
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
A well signposted speed camera will at least have some effect. Most of the drivers who have been involved in serious accidents recently lived in the area and will soon learn from word of mouth about others being booked. I don't suggest for a minute it will solve the problem but the knowledge that you will be caught is a deterrent as opposed to just the possibility. And as I said theres no reason it has to be set at a draconian 1 or 2 kph over the limit, maybe 10-12 over would still keep the traffic flowing. Possibly a camera that flashes at 9 over as a reminder of your speed and books at the 12 over. :
Old 27-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
A well signposted speed camera will at least have some effect. Most of the drivers who have been involved in serious accidents recently lived in the area and will soon learn from word of mouth about others being booked. I don't suggest for a minute it will solve the problem but the knowledge that you will be caught is a deterrent as opposed to just the possibility. And as I said theres no reason it has to be set at a draconian 1 or 2 kph over the limit, maybe 10-12 over would still keep the traffic flowing. Possibly a camera that flashes at 9 over as a reminder of your speed and books at the 12 over. :
I agree, even stationing a patrol car or motorbike in the area may be a great deterrent.
Make the little prucks realise they will be caught.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #67
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
There is a very easy solution to the speeding issue,fit every car in Australia with a speed limiter with a max of 110 and on the road it must be active all the time , and switch it off when you want to do track work. and the law should be if caught with the limiter off on public roads min sentence 25 years.
LMFAO lots of people in the NT are going to be in the lock up for 25 years... :

Quote:
Innatention is not the biggest "killer"; it is, by your own choice of statistic, one of quite a number of contributing factors to fatal and hospitilisation crashes. Taken on its own as actual cause of accident, I wouldn't be surprised to see the graph a little differently skewed.It's a little like me saying "I dont see hooning listed in the chart above" but take out rain/wet road,and maybe fatigue, and I have seen all the rest of the "contributing factors" used when looking for an apt description of a hoon.
its not MY choice that data was taken off QLD's OWN data records, trust me you couldn't pay me enough to write the report, the REPORT is a FACTUAL analysis of crash statistic data how you can argue it is beyond me apart from pushing your own barrow of propaganda.

as for HOONING, well might be covered under the heading to the RIGHT of the circuled SPEED called DANGEROUS DRIVING... generally that's the 'proper' term given to media fed garbage of HOONING.

I would suggest if you want to argue a point you might want to get points of reference/factual data to back your claims, as your comments on this topic are as like a dog with a cape.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...

Last edited by UNR8D; 27-03-2010 at 10:36 PM.
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We get some "hooning" happening around my area, theres an entry from the main road into our estate and its rated for 50km/h but its straight and has a few nice turns, so you get the ocasional guy roaring along until today when we turned the corner and saw an unmarked car pulling over people, then further on a marked territory cruising around.

If you want to stop people being morons, place a few marked cars about the joint, everyone craps their pants when you see the "Five-Oh" even if you aren't doing anythign wrong
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #69
Angeldust

I do not see how a speed camera would stop this accident. It was at 2am in the morning, how many speed cameras do you see set up at night? It seems most P plated fatalities occur at night. Speed cameras raise revenue in the daytime.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #70
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
I do not see how a speed camera would stop this accident. It was at 2am in the morning, how many speed cameras do you see set up at night? It seems most P plated fatalities occur at night. Speed cameras raise revenue in the daytime.
FYI accident occurred at 2 pm in the afternoon according to news reports.

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #71
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh my dearest lord Jesus, someone call the cops.

It's truly outrageous. Why is it only the people mentioned in these "hooning" articles that feel the need to speed? There's obviously a scientific connection there, so maybe if we stop writing hoon articles drivers won't speed anymore.