Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Swapping to silver door handles (interior)

A few of you might remember an earlier post of mine where I grabbed some silver door handles for my pov' pack 2008 Focus on Ebay UK amongst some other lighting bits. Well they finally got here. (12weeks!!!!!) I took a punt, as they were Mondeo handles, but looked the same, and for an all up cost of around $10, I was willing to chance it.

Unfortunately the bodies are different, but the handle part is identical!. So here's a HOW TO on swapping them over, including the swap from Mondeo body to Foci body. Easier if you just have the right part!!

Check out this guide I did on how to remove your door covers for this stage.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11295236

Now the door handle bit.

1/. The actual latch body is only held on with one TORX screw. Undo it. Set it a side in a safe place. The latch assembly can slide forwards now. It is held in the rear by a small yellow plastic lug. It should now be free from the door.

2/. The cable has a nifty plastic connector at the end of it. Simply pop this upwards and the cable is separated!

Here you can see the two different latch bodies. Black one is the Focus unit.

I drilled out the pressed end of the pin that hols the actual latch and lock. Its like drilling out a rivet head.

Once drilled out, punch out the pin

Now I did the same for the Mondeo latch body. Swapped the handles on each body, re-assembled, punched the end of the pin down a little, and put it back into the door using the reverse of the above.

Here's how it now looks.

I love the look, and it all works well. They are a little more rounded/soft than the Focus silver handle, but I dont mind it.

Now for the other three.......

Old 24-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
casabonka
You can call me Chris

That looks really good - always great to see a How to guide also.
Now I gotta check to see what colour mine are and see If I can do the same
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a pair of silver ones (XR5) on Ebay UK right now for AUS$15.00 + AUS$8.60 postage. I could never get them any cheaper than about $80 a pair from local wreckers.. Might be worth chasing.

Certainly easier than the way I did it!! But I'm a cheap skate!