Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Default Au Xr6 Vct Help...

hey guys im torn between two cars ATM one is an au11xr6 vct 5spd,
and the other is an auto xr8 1999.

i know most would go for the eight so would i but the eigh has heaps of k's on it the six has 118though and is in great nick.

my question is who has got an vct xr6 and how reliable are they ive got an au11 futura and love it bt i want a man so the xr6 is the way i want to go.

is it worth buying the vct as apposed to keeping my futura.

i think the eight is not the way to go ATM.

what do you guys think?

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the VCT. Shouldn't even need to think about it.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

i'd go the VCT too...
as much as i love the 8's the only reason i'd go an 8 is for the sound..

why you wanna get rid of your car man..?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Well this is just my opinion, but the only good thing on a VCT AU is the IRS. They are reliable, the only VCT specific issue is the VCT idler oil leak, which is a mega pain to fix, and is also common. They also gain very little from modding, but even if you wish to keep it stock, its still a high revving slug. What is the price of these two cars?

If your heart is set on a manual, then might pay to be patient and wait for a XR6 HP or XR8 to pop up.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Well this is just my opinion, but the only good thing on a VCT AU is the IRS. They are reliable, the only VCT specific issue is the VCT idler oil leak, which is a mega pain to fix, and is also common. They also gain very little from modding, but even if you wish to keep it stock, its still a high revving slug. What is the price of these two cars?

If your heart is set on a manual, then might pay to be patient and wait for a XR6 HP or XR8 to pop up.
Dont they use as much/more fuel as an 8 aswell?
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Dont they use as much/more fuel as an 8 aswell?
I havent got any solid evidence to back that up, but having owned both I would say yes they do. And taking that into consideration, the 8 offers many more thrills including the soundtrack.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

vct is $8500 deceased estate, and the eight is $10,000 but very high miles 293thou to be exact.

i dont know much about the vct's ive never realy been into them i have always liked the normal sixes.

but i want a manual and if i can get it for 10thou or under.

ive never liked irs either but am willing to bite the bullet if i know the vct is as reliable as my normal six.... hmmmmmm

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
vct is $8500 deceased estate, and the eight is $10,000 but very high miles 293thou to be exact.

i dont know much about the vct's ive never realy been into them i have always liked the normal sixes.

but i want a manual and if i can get it for 10thou or under.

ive never liked irs either but am willing to bite the bullet if i know the vct is as reliable as my normal six.... hmmmmmm
The eight is highway friggin robbery, theres faaar better on offer out there. The VCT price is pretty good. But when transitioning out of your I6 into a VCT, the fuel consumption will shock you. It sure did for me.

Plus if youre not a fan of the IRS, then the XR6 HP is DEFINITELY the way to go.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
The eight is highway friggin robbery, theres faaar better on offer out there. The VCT price is pretty good. But when transitioning out of your I6 into a VCT, the fuel consumption will shock you. It sure did for me.

Plus if youre not a fan of the IRS, then the XR6 HP is DEFINITELY the way to go.
hmmm well thanks for that mate as i got 870k's out of my tank going to coober pedy a few months ago i think the vct is not the way to go..

i think ill keep saving and do a nice man conversion on my futura.

well didn't take much but thanks for your help guys.

ENVI BA XR6T
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
hmmm well thanks for that mate as i got 870k's out of my tank going to coober pedy a few months ago i think the vct is not the way to go..

i think ill keep saving and do a nice man conversion on my futura.

well didn't take much but thanks for your help guys.
I apologise if I dampened your spirits, i didnt mean to . That is just my experience on them. Many on here are very happy with their VCTs. Perhaps you should test drive one and see if its for you.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

just buy my car re... you know you want to!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Jimmyd
Banned

VCT is neither a slug or a heavy drinker - you need to change your driving style to suit the torque charecteristics compared to a HP or V8. Seriously, once you have driven an AU with IRS in any way approaching 'spiritedly', you will never go back, I know I won't.

99 Fairmont Ghia VCT (auto naturally) factory optioned with the Tickford Suspension, Tickford 17"s etc on highway run from Townsville to Cairns, AC on, average 110kph

Combination Hwy & town drive to/from work daily averages 500-600k per tank depending on how 'spriritedly' I drive and how hot/humid it is.

Seriously, take the VCT for a drive, you'll love it

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines not vct or anything but, i used to get 600 kms out of a full tank, didnt matter if it was heavy foot, traffic or free way, still got the same

But im yet to find how the new engine chews it

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
EgoFalcon
The Villan

I'd take the VCT, the series 1 xr8 was a bit underpowered anyway, 180kw if I recall and the VCT was 172kw. Also since the xr6 is series 2 you have the much better brakes, better seats imo and as jimmyd has said, the vct (if right) can be awesome on fuel, currently own AU Series 1 Fairmont Ghia with the vct. But also being a manual, they seem to do a bit better on highway economy. Interior is black (instead of grey) in the series 2, which is alot better I though. Theres my input and good luck, don't kick the bucket on the decision yet.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
Day-mow
rexnet

I love my VCT. I've got a fullexhaust set up and it adds a bot of chirp. The main difference for me is with the HP I could drop a sweet cam in it. With the VCT you need head work and before it's worth putting a cam in it.
But mines a manual to. It's awesome!

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
tick6vct
AU-XR-S3-VCT

i love my vct to buts its stuffed atm im thinkin o2 sensor problem i dont know but 400k to a tank around town isnt right and i dont drive it hard at all!

imo save your coin mate and get something your going to be more inclined to hang onto a series 3 xr8 with the 220 in it theres a few manual ones getting about for probs bout the 12k mark would be definetly worth it if you can afford to run it they have balls and have a nice cammy sound to them love it!! even better still some decent ba xr6t's are coming down in the sub 20k braket now may be worth investigating....that sereis one xr8 with nearly 300 on the clock would probs be making as much or less at the fly by now as the vct six anyways! if your into mods etc vct does have limited headwork options....
Old 14-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`ve had mine for 5+ years , i would happily have another vct, never let me down once.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ive got the VCT motor in my ghia, just got a catback z'horst for a bit of noise and she certainly gets up and go's. I've had a traffic light battle with an I6 and I walked away, up to 70k's of course (speed limit).

I recently did an experiment, one week of thrashing it everywhere, one week of driving like a grandpa, results?....... About 50k's less per tank when thrashing. My granny driving week? 370kms (just creeping into the red on the fuel guage) yes its terrible economy, yes I would like to drop and 8 into it, not I can't because im on my P's :(

The VCT is a solid motor, never let me down, it chews a bit but has always been reliable, everything else on the car however.... breaks :P
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Ive got the VCT motor in my ghia, just got a catback z'horst for a bit of noise and she certainly gets up and go's. I've had a traffic light battle with an I6 and I walked away, up to 70k's of course (speed limit).

I recently did an experiment, one week of thrashing it everywhere, one week of driving like a grandpa, results?....... About 50k's less per tank when thrashing. My granny driving week? 370kms (just creeping into the red on the fuel guage) yes its terrible economy, yes I would like to drop and 8 into it, not I can't because im on my P's :(

The VCT is a solid motor, never let me down, it chews a bit but has always been reliable, everything else on the car however.... breaks :P
There is something wrong here - that is waaaayyyyy too much fuel for 'granny driving' unless you are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours on end. Could be 02 sensor (generaly give up the ghost around 100-150klms - easy way for you to check is hit the freeway, set cruise at 100-110kph and select 'instant fuel consumption' on your trip computer on the Climate Control module - on a flat straight it should flick up and down between 5-8 l/100. If it does not change then your o2 sensor is likely to be stuffed (ie ecu not entering the lean loop). If it is varying, but reading much higher then you are most likely looking at either a Cat converter blockage or a temp sensor failure......

When was the last time a diagnostic was run on her?

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #20
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well I was upstairs a moment ago having a winge to Mr Hardware who's advised to change the fuel filter (original from what I can make out), put a hi-flow air filter in (which he is providing for me :]) and keep the right foot AWAY from the bottom of the floor (which I have been).

Highway driving I get better consumption, went from brissy to 4wd springs (half hour drive from warrick) and back, got 550km's to a full tank.

I've replaced the O2 sensor less than a year ago, haven't got round to replacing the cat which is most probably shagged by now. havent had a diagnostic run on her since I had the ABS looked at, probably a year ago now.

On topic of thread, I'd go the V8 if you want the sound and can afford the fuel, but the VCT is probably the way to go for your purposes.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick6vct
400k to a tank around town isnt right and i dont drive it hard at all!
That's about what I get, give or take.

I work from home so nearly all my suburban driving is within a few k's from home.
Therefore it's start/300m stop - traffic lights/start 300m stop - traffic lights/start 300m, stop - traffic lights/etc ad nauseum.

Most of the time it's getting the car from 0 to 60kph so I really wouldn't expect any better consumption in my environs.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

$10k for any Au1 is a rip, you can get a S3 XR8 for that. If you have that money burning a hole in your pocket please get a S3.

If it was my choice id go the XR8 over the VCT. The VCT is great but both cars are not exactly ferrari's and performance is pretty line ball, but you will always have the sound.

Everyone should own a V8 atleast once in their lives, now is probably the best time to do it. Oh how I miss my 302C!

EDIT: also forgot, if you can get a manual then it is a must.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #23
Day-mow
rexnet

i average about 12.7 L/100Km and thats giving it a little bit of stick. they use a bit less fuel then the XR8's

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 15-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in terrible driveing conditions and giveing it a squirt i have seen 350/370 for a tank , but, my average checked this week was 450 k`s 80% local 20% melb freeways, and on a run easy to get in 700+ k`s to a tank, trying to be frugal in ideal conditions 800/900 would be possible i reckon, if you can`t get 700 +k`s on a country run out of a petrol engined au you`ve got problems .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #25
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if you can`t get 700 +k`s on a country run out of a petrol engined au you`ve got problems .
or heavy shoes ;)

Old 15-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #26
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

hmm great responses guys thanks more good about the vct than bad....

I will have to rethink this....

ENVI BA XR6T
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr