Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Cadge

Default Auto or Manual ?

I run and own an off road Racing Au. Currently it has an Auto in it, but it doesnt have enough guts to power out of corners.

We were considering putting a manual in it, but have been told that you can get the same sort of performance out of putting in a shift kit.

Can you get shift kits for Auto Aus?

If so roughly how much do they cost and do you see much more performance after doing it? Or would we be better off putting in a Manual and be done with it.

Old 31-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I personally don't like auto's but i would of thought that there would be more to gain in maual as it's more direct through the drive train but if you want to look into a shift kit there are many out there. One that comes to mind instantly is from JayCar
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Cadge

Forgive me for being nieve, but what does a shift kit actually do?
Old 31-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
ozten
Starter Motor

just makes the gear changes quicker and less lazy
ozten is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
efxr8envy

Once you start to increase engine performance a shift kit becomes a necessity to prolong transmission life. A shift kit will make the transmission shift more positive and firm. Reducing slippage between gears and reducing internal transmission wear.
efxr8envy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I have a 2002 model AU the transmission shifting and how sharp it shifts can be altered by the cars computer my car is tuned using a flash tuner and in the drag race tune the gearbox smashes thru the changes and holds each gear till redline in drive, this mode is not real nice on the box but it changes real quick.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Due to the weight of the torque converter full of oil and the issue of the gearbox pretty much doing what it what's when it wants, unless fully shift kitted, the auto is pretty much usless in a performance package. The difference in power and handling by simply installing a manual is unexplainable, no more lag, no more changing gears when i don't want them, and most important of all perfect throttle control. My daily has an auto, and i wouldn't have it any other way in traffic, but that and towing is the only time one requires an auto. Remember the heavy converter has to be axcellerated and deaccelerated by the engine, the flywheel and cluch assembley is lighter and allows for compression braking as required. So in my opinion, manual all the way, The day i die will be the day i go auto in a performance car......... Good luck
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Cadge

Thanks guys
We got offered a T5 for $300 so i think well just do that.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

You wont be dissapointed, the I6's and a manual are a fantastic combo!
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadge
Thanks guys
We got offered a T5 for $300 so i think well just do that.
+ 1 for the manual, The BTR first gear is way to tall for Off Road Racing. You would never be in the power range.

When you gt the box, make sure you get the ECU as well. THe manual ECU's are a bit thin on the ground and wreckers want top dollar for them. There are a few threads on the conversion if you search, just make sure you get all the bits to convert it.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
Cadge

We might have to find an ECU seperatly as i found out the t5 is from an EL, not an AU.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Cadge

Even if we do get a manual ECU will we have trouble putting it into antoher car?

I remember when i put it into my own car we had to go to a ford guy for him to plug his funky computer in before it would go.