Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #61
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Freelander was a new model no more than two years ago, and Land Rover has no key new models due for a while now. It's definitely a Ford, look at the headlights, the overall design and shape along with the strong ties to the Flex. This is the next Explorer. Kinda looks like the old Ford Freestyle/Taurus X with elements from the Kia Sorento and Land Rover inspired A-Pillars. But it's a Ford.
Old 30-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #62
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

they really look similar that ford and the car that was spied... spied? more like photographer offered them money for the pics in exchange for their faces to be blurredo out
Old 30-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #63
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

That is definitely the new Explorer, you can see the evolution of the Escape design with a shipload of Taurus/Mustang in the sides.

I think if the new Territory is an Australian-ized version of this it should be quite a looker!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #64
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
I think if the new Territory is an Australian-ized version of this it should be quite a looker!
The new Territory that will be launched next year is a similar scenario to the AU to BA evolution, except we won't see as much under the skin changes. The chassis remains mostly untouched, the whole front will be re-vamped as with the rear. Not sure if they will do the door skins and roof pressings, but the doors themselves and windows should remain the same. Time will tell if this will eventually be our Territory though...
Old 30-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #65
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm

I can see a freelander/saab/pajero/territory influence there. Not earth shattering design.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #66
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
The new Territory that will be launched next year is a similar scenario to the AU to BA evolution, except we won't see as much under the skin changes. ...
Apparently we can expect a diesel, a LiLPG version and a harder version with uprated rear suspension to handle extra weight to compensate for the loss of the wagon.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #67
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Just to give a little insight to how it happened in the US, as I am old enough to remember....

Up until 1979/1980 the only FWD US Big3 cars made were the Buick Riviera, Oldsmobile Toronado, and Cadillac El Dorado, that I can remember. Those had always been FWD dating back to the mid 1960's, and were considered a novelty.

After 1980, when computers and FWD were becoming the norm I knew many people that said (GM guys) "I will go to junk yards and buy a few 350's to keep in the garage. That way I can keep my pre-computer, RWD car going for as long as I need. I will never own a FWD, computer controlled 4 cylinder car!"

This was the battle cry of MANY Americans. Electronic fuel injection, FWD, and computer controlled 4 cylinder engines were the ENEMY, and no way would we drive these cars, period!

Today in the US, most cars are by far FWD. This is what I drive in for most of the winter...

FWD does go much nicer than RWD, as much as hardcore RWD enthusiasts hate to admit. I had a 1990 Ford Festiva that never got stuck in this stuff because it was FWD. My wife's 2002 Mercury Villager minivan (in the above picture) is a tank going through this stuff, and also has never been stuck.

Performance people, like us here, as much as we hate to admit it, are a minority. We are enthusiasts in a particular field, and we are far out numbered by the "typical" daily driver people.

Now, from a manufacturer's standpoint, as some have mentioned, FWD makes the car lighter because you have a transaxle instead of a cast iron rear axle, or a long driveshaft and rear independant suspension, and the accompanying axles. This increases fuel mileage, and that is one of the big issues at the moments. Because it gets better fuel mileage that reduces the carbon emissions as well. Also, I would think it is cheaper as several here have said.

So like it or not, most cars are FWD, and most "ordinary" people think that is fine. We are a separate lot, and I am begining to wonder if our days are numbered.

One closing thought.....the GRWD platform was shelved, not abandoned. Ford wants to compete in EVERY segment, so that would have to include RWD as well.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #68
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Didn't we just finish having the FWD debate? :

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #69
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
Didn't we just finish having the FWD debate? :

I thought so too.

This Explorer will be lighter with FWD and I think that is attractive to Ford. How the fan base of the Explorer will react to that is yet to be seen. Perhaps they will say "Well, aren't most vehicles FWD? The Explorer is finally catching up with the times."

Of course I don't think like that, but we are talking more about people that own cars rather then car enthusiasts.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #70
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

completely agree for your purposes Ohio XB, if i drove in snow all day i'd want the same thing, at least as a daily. But Australia has very little snow, and that we do have is generally isolated to the alpine country regions, far away from the capital cities..

anyhoo, whatever is provided, is provided, we have no say.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #71
ondori
Addicted User

ford Taurus X
Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondori
ford Taurus X
Its been discontinued.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #73
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-explorer-2011.html
Old 20-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #74
stang65
FPRJET

After reading the above link it states that it is a 4 x4 where as the terry is AWD surely these cars would be aimed at 2 different customers.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #75
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
After reading the above link it states that it is a 4 x4 where as the terry is AWD surely these cars would be aimed at 2 different customers.
They're not sold in the same market; we won't get the Explorer, nor will they get the Territory.
Old 20-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #76
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

link
Quote:
Ford aims to reinvent Explorer, recapture sales
Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:16pm EDT
Stocks

Ford Motor Company

* Ford aims to recapture defecting Explorer customers

* Fuel economy expected far better than current version

By David Bailey

DETROIT, June 18 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) is counting on a leaner and greener makeover of its Explorer to find new buyers for a once hot-selling sport utility vehicle that powered the automaker's profits a decade ago.

At the peak of the SUV boom in 2000, Ford sold 445,000 Explorers in the United States, powering an earnings juggernaut that helped to finance an expansion into luxury brands such as Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo.

Explorer sales averaged 412,000 per year from 1995 through 2003, but tumbled as consumers turned away from heavier truck-based SUVs in favor of better-handling and lighter "crossover" utility vehicles built on car frames.

U.S. sales of the Explorer dropped by more than a third in 2009 to just over 52,000.

Once a cash cow for Ford, the Explorer is now outsold by new entrants like the Chevrolet Traverse, a 3-year-old crossover from General Motors Co [GM.UL] that offers segment-leading fuel economy.

Ford managers say they recognized that they had a problem when they set out to redesign the Explorer.

"Right now six out of 10 who own an Explorer defect to another brand," said Amy Marentic, Ford's car, crossover and SUV marketing manager. "We want to switch that around and keep all of those customers like we used to in the early to mid-1990s."

Customers are migrating from the Explorer because "the product isn't fresh," she said. "They are looking for a modern up-to-date vehicle with better fuel economy."

The new Explorer, set for production in the fourth quarter, is underpinned by a modified version of the car platform used for the Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS. The vehicle will be built at the same assembly plant in Chicago as those sedans.

Ford expects an improved ride, sharper handling and at least a 25 percent improvement in fuel economy over the Explorer's current 14 miles per gallon in city driving and 20 mpg on highways.

Some of that improved efficiency will come from better standard engines, an optional turbocharged engine, new six-speed transmissions and better aerodynamics.

The vehicle will retain many of the capabilities of a traditional SUV, with three rows of seats for up to seven adults, and the ability to tow a 19-foot boat.

LOTS OF CHOICE, LOTS OF COMPETITION

The new Explorer, which Ford began to unveil this week in pictures posted on Facebook and briefings for reporters and analysts, will hit a crowded part of the U.S. auto market.

Since 2000, the number of utility vehicles in the U.S. market has doubled to 100, including small to large sport utility vehicles and crossovers.

The Explorer will compete against the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Traverse and GMC Acadia.

"We are recognizing the realities for a need for a product that is mid-size and where there are more competitors in the marketplace," Ford U.S. sales analyst George Pipas said.

Ford, which expects a solid profit this year after avoiding the government-supported bankruptcies that engulfed rivals GM and Chrysler last year, does not expect the Explorer to deliver the kinds of sales it had in its peak years.

Analysts said Ford will count the redesigned Explorer as a success if it reverses the trend of owners switching out of the Ford brand for rival vehicles.

"The Explorer is a very important launch for them," Autoconomy.com analyst Erich Merkle said.

Ford is investing $400 million to support Explorer production at its Chicago assembly plant and a nearby stamping plant. It is adding a second shift of 1,200 workers at the assembly plant to build the Explorer.

Ford has not announced the pricing on the new Explorer. Starting prices range from $29,280 to $36,280 on the current version. (Reporting by David Bailey; Editing by Richard Chang)