Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Got the bug again!!

The wagon started stalling on me...so I decided to fit the broad band manifold I modified about 2 years ago. So it started .What seemed like a staight forward job ended up chewing 8 hours of time.Still i am happy with the results as the car is pulling even faster. What didnt help was that my modified manifold was from an au2 not au1 and so the map sensors are totally different which led me to dismantle both manifolds to get the stock au upper manifold onto the modified lower one. The it happened..one of the bolts would not come off.It took me 50 minutes of fiddling to get it out...or I would have no car for work.
Eventually it all came together though and can honestly say that the wagon has gained more pulling power across the rev range.The difference is awesome. So..will I chase a new pb? Yes.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

CAT600 is a nut that gets results. Stav, you're just a nut! And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Yes I am.but I am also the nut who first mentioned stall convertors for the au six and was laughed at.Now theyre all using hi stall convertors. I am also the nut who asked if we can get 700 rwkws from an au falcon and was laughed off again at the time..yet extreme are achieving those results now. Yes I am a nut..but a nut who takes things that people are scared of and make them work.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 22-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

unless they're transmissions, rite?

good work on the more power

you'd be getting close to the same power per litre as a modern jap 4-cyl, wouldn't you?
Old 22-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
unless they're transmissions, rite?

good work on the more power

you'd be getting close to the same power per litre as a modern jap 4-cyl, wouldn't you?
Transmissions you say? From the time I ran it straight to the transmission cooler my transmission runs hotter than through the radiator tank and cooler. This flies directly in the face of the experts and gurus across the world and I stand by this statement. My take on the gearboxes I have blown to smitherines is easily attributable to one common denmoniator. A colder gearbox will blow up faster.

Old 22-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Get you and your Nutter ideas down to Heathcote on the 24th mate and we can play

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Im gonna be in a different state on business.But how the heck are ya mate?

Old 22-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Now where is Sox?

Old 22-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Wink

Dazzler's in da house ..... Expect a few PM's mate , i have a heap of stories to share with you since we last talked..xxx..

Glad you are re-energised
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GOOD LUCK STAV!!!
lets see what the old girl can do!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

good luck mate looks good
Old 23-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
This flies directly in the face of the experts and gurus across the world and I stand by this statement. My take on the gearboxes I have blown to smitherines is easily attributable to one common denmoniator. A colder gearbox will blow up faster.
This is in the 'lessons learnt' from the early BA boxes. In taxi-land, reports of trans-cooler-only transmissions were lasting the longest, quite often in excess of 500,000klms. You can see in the BA's many people report their box dying at 140k after nothing more than pottering about - no towing, no long highway runs, no hills, no racing. My transmission mechanic's take was the box simply wasn't getting hot enough. Operating temperature isn't 'as-cool-as-possible' for a reason.
Old 23-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
The wagon started stalling on me...so I decided to fit the broad band manifold I modified about 2 years ago. So it started .What seemed like a staight forward job ended up chewing 8 hours of time.Still i am happy with the results as the car is pulling even faster. What didnt help was that my modified manifold was from an au2 not au1 and so the map sensors are totally different which led me to dismantle both manifolds to get the stock au upper manifold onto the modified lower one. The it happened..one of the bolts would not come off.It took me 50 minutes of fiddling to get it out...or I would have no car for work.
Eventually it all came together though and can honestly say that the wagon has gained more pulling power across the rev range.The difference is awesome. So..will I chase a new pb? Yes.
Seeing you type words like these reminds me of the old days
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Dazzler's in da house ..... Expect a few PM's mate , i have a heap of stories to share with you since we last talked..xxx..

Glad you are re-energised
Good to see you old mate..Pm away !

Old 23-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Static ..Poelwyk thanks guys...

Old 23-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
This is in the 'lessons learnt' from the early BA boxes. In taxi-land, reports of trans-cooler-only transmissions were lasting the longest, quite often in excess of 500,000klms. You can see in the BA's many people report their box dying at 140k after nothing more than pottering about - no towing, no long highway runs, no hills, no racing. My transmission mechanic's take was the box simply wasn't getting hot enough. Operating temperature isn't 'as-cool-as-possible' for a reason.
I absolutely agree with your tranny guy. My box used to get down to 20 degrees celsius on a long cool trip.The last box blew from Melbourne after sitting on freezing cold temps...not saying this caused it but I feel it did. Normally my box sits around 70 to 80 degrees celcius.Even on freeway.Ironically through the transmission tank and cooler it would get cold!!!

Old 23-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
Seeing you type words like these reminds me of the old days
Hey great to see you . The good ol days were pretty exciting and I broke just about every part in the process but now I am ready grasshopper.

Old 23-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I absolutely agree with your tranny guy. My box used to get down to 20 degrees celsius on a long cool trip.The last box blew from Melbourne after sitting on freezing cold temps...not saying this caused it but I feel it did. Normally my box sits around 70 to 80 degrees celcius.Even on freeway.Ironically through the transmission tank and cooler it would get cold!!!
The biggest killer of transmissions is heat. The biggest cause of heat in Falcons is lack of maintenance (oil never changed or heated too much, it breaks down and becomes less effective at cooling/lubricating the moving parts). The second biggest cause of excess heat is water mixing with the trans oil, and reducing the effectiveness of the oil to cool the moving parts in the transmission, thereby generating heat and killing the box. The third is too much power going through them that results in mechanical breakages (broken clutch packs etc); not a real issue with most of us who do "bling" mods - and by that I mean anyone running under around 300fwkw.

Transmissions operate effectively through winter and in the snow regions, so a cold box would not be the cause of transmission failure. Flogging a box when it's cold may cause failure though, but drive properly and there should be no issues. I live in Canberra which has freezing winters (<0) and hot summers (>30). I have always run external bypass coolers on my transmissions and as yet have never had a transmission failure. And I do not drive like an old man, but I don't go drifting everywhere either.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Go Stav .... I should drop in for a chat ... and get those gauges installed on the ute as well.

Has been ages since we last caught up.

As for boxes though ... regular maintenance is needed ... I did put an external cooler ... but used a much better replacement ADRAD radiator and used the internal cooler in that as well on the AU. After my first trans died (due to the first owner ... Cronulla Council ... failed to service the damn thing) ... I had a rebuilt box put in (built originally for boosted application) and kept it serviced.

Even though i ran load on it all of the time and manually shifted the thing ... it was still like new when i traded it in. And this is with sitting in Sydney traffic in the heat as well ... god knows what temps it would see ... i didn't have a gauge to report it unfortunately.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #20
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Good on ya stav. Great to see you back in the swing of things. You keep on fighting the good fight.

I can relate to how you’re feeling to. Haven't worked on my ute for ages but with a recent dash conversion not going to plan, for the last two weeks if I haven't been at work, I'm in the garage getting it working.
And guess what? I'm loving the ute and tinkering with it more than ever.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #21
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the wagons

AZZA
Old 27-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #22
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

go stav

au section has always been missing something when you arnt racing the wagon

TS50 Build
mr_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Thanks guys I almost blushed when I saw this but remembered the hairs on my chest lol.
The wagon has alot more low to midrange torque and I still havent tuned it. Very busy with work so one thing at a time. A good stall convertor and then some way to make the car stay on the ground .Then we should be right to go.

Its easy to get excited about things so I thing to take each day as it comes and race it first to see what it is doing then tweak it.. Hopefully it will run a flat 14 but after 2 years of daily driving I would be glad with a 14.9 or quicker.