Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Chrysler..Dodge.. Gone ?? TAURUS here 2013 ???

It's all uphill for battling American brands
RICHARD BLACKBURN
July 10, 2010

Chrysler claims the new Jeep Grand Cherokee represents vastly improved product quality.
Chrysler and Dodge are facing the grim prospect of joining a long list of US failures in the Australian market.

They came, they saw, but they've failed to conquer. American cars appear to be on the nose with Australian buyers, with Chrysler and Dodge both struggling to sell cars Down Under.

While most brands have bounced back from the global financial crisis in style this year, the two US brands have seen sales nosedive even further.

Chrysler sales are down almost 50 per cent, while Dodge sales have more than halved. The two brands are in danger of becoming the latest in a string of spectacular failures by US cars in the local market.

Often derided for their poor build quality, sloppy road holding and cheap cabin materials, American-built cars have come and gone from our roads with monotonous regularity in recent years.

Ford has failed with its mid-size Taurus, Probe and Mustang sports cars, Explorer four-wheel-drive and F-Series truck - a worrying sign for a company that is seriously considering replacing the home-grown Falcon with the US-designed Taurus after 2013.

General Motors has met with similar resistance to its US-made vehicles, with its behemoth off-roaders, the Hummer and Suburban, now gone from the local market.

GM also failed with an attempt to introduce the luxury Cadillac brand into Australia - the company pulled the pin on the plan just weeks from its official launch - while it recently shelved plans to import the Camaro sports car that was engineered in Australia for Americans.

The introduction of a Free Trade Agreement with the US in 2005, which meant zero tariffs for US imports, has done little to boost American brands; both Chrysler and Jeep sold fewer cars last year than they did in 2004, while Dodge has failed to make an impact since its introduction in August 2006.

US brands have fallen victim to the same buyer trends that have seen sales of locally built cars dwindle in recent years; they make mostly larger cars and four-wheel-drives, while most people are downsizing.

Overseas, the Dodge Viper and Chrysler PT Cruiser have both been discontinued in recent weeks, while GM killed off Pontiac and is winding down the Hummer brand.

Last year, two-thirds of Chrysler's Australian sales came from just two models, the 300C large sedan and the Voyager people-mover. At Dodge, the situation is dire, with the Avenger gone and the Nitro and Caliber attracting just 17 sales between them in June.

The Chrysler group in Australia comprises the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands and has withdrawn six vehicles - the Chrysler Sebring sedan, PT Cruiser hatch and Cabrio, the Dodge Avenger and the Jeep Compass and Commander - from a range of 16 in recent months, while the Chrysler Crossfire was withdrawn in 2008.

Jeep sales have proven a bright spot, rebounding from a poor 2009, and spokesman Dean Bonthorne says the group is "absolutely 100 per cent" committed to the local market.

"We're really pleased with how Jeep's going," he says. "We're in a record period for sales and new models like the Patriot have been really well received into the market and the Wrangler just continues to sell.

"With Chrysler and Dodge, we're in a changeover period with models right now and we've had some limitations with stock availability over the last six months, which has amplified the figures a little bit and made it seem worse than it is.

"But there's absolutely fantastic product on the horizon so we're definitely forging ahead and look forward to the brands being very successful in the future."

Bonthorne admits the brands have been hamstrung by not having smaller vehicles but says the alliance with Italian car maker Fiat will solve that problem.

"The plan globally is for Chrysler to be able to access some of the smaller, more fuel-efficient powertrains and platforms that Fiat has on offer," he says.

"It's definitely not something for the next year or two but perhaps shortly after that."

Bonthorne claims the quality issues that have plagued the group - Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge regularly fall below the average in US quality surveys - are in the past, with the new Jeep Grand Cherokee, due early next year, leading the way.

"It's absolute night and day with anything from the past that's been produced by the Chrysler group and it's definitely the way forward," he says. "Quality is going to absolutely skyrocket."

Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Well it doesnt suprise me. Most American cars I have driven have all been garbage, with hideous interiors. The Explorer is an absolute dog, Chrysler Neon is awful. PT cruiser is crap, Voyager is a tish box. Jeeps would be the pick of the bunch, good offroad, drive ok. Not keen on the mechanicals

Taurus here from 2013? I guess Ford Australia missed that memo :P
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Ford has failed with its mid-size Taurus, Probe and Mustang sports cars, Explorer four-wheel-drive and F-Series truck - a worrying sign for a company that is seriously considering replacing the home-grown Falcon with the US-designed Taurus after 2013.
Seriously considering replacing Falcon after 2013?

Another journalist who just flushed his credibility down the dunny.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F-Series was a failure? Last time I looked they have one of the best resale this side of a muscle car.
Problem was the factory stopped building RHD ones when they changed models.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
lamborghinifan

new cherokee looks very good though. just read a review
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
US brands have fallen victim to the same buyer trends that have seen sales of locally built cars dwindle in recent years; they make mostly larger cars and four-wheel-drives, while most people are downsizing.
Funny, I'm quite sure the SUV market is selling stronger than ever before, we sell and service an assload of CRV's at work.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Dodge and Chrysler won't be going anywhere.
I know from within the company there is some major work being done to bring more models here. At the moment the US is holding back on supply. They have sold all stock allocated to them.
There are some new models coming here, the new Jeep is getting some good reviews.
What some people here don't realise is, Mercedes sucked Chrylser dry during its ownership days. There was no money for R&D and they were given hand me down engines and trannies.
The US government is not much different, really restricting R&D budgets.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Funny, I'm quite sure the SUV market is selling stronger than ever before, we sell and service an assload of CRV's at work.
I wouldn't call a CRV an SUV..its more of a toy, the MDX was.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
I wouldn't call a CRV an SUV..its more of a toy, the MDX was.
Yes, but it is still classified as one, typically like Jeep Patriot, CX-7. RAV 4 etc.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Could we see introduction of a RHD Taurus within the next couple of years to "test the waters"?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Ford has failed with its mid-size Taurus, a worrying sign for a company that is seriously considering replacing the home-grown Falcon with the US-designed Taurus after 2013.
Sense, this makes none.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Could we see introduction of a RHD Taurus within the next couple of years to "test the waters"?
That would require quite a large engineering R&D spend to the current car which is not RHD compatible (I know other D3 variants are, but show me where the '10 Toreass was designed with RHD in mind) and not worth it for our piddling little market, especially when Ford would have to make it ADR compliant which will add to costs and possibly conflict with US NHTSA regs

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with that article (apart from it being BS), is most of these "American" cars were not actually American (that went to Australia).

Most, if not all, RHD Chryslers are made in Austria - and actually they are pretty good quality. Chrysler has been experiencing poor sales all over really, which is sad.

Australian F250 was made in Brazil. My US-built F150 is far better build quality, that is up there with the BA Falcon. But that is not visible in Australia, so that claim is irrelevant? Actually, Ford stopped building it in RHD when new engines and models came out, but Australian dealers never had a problem with selling them.

Ford Explorer - as far as I'm aware it sold quite well. Ford did end RHD production on it though.

Ford Mustang - one that was actually built in USA. Limited volume, converted with expense in Australia to RHD. V8 manual only, and $90,000 - it's only going to hit a very small niche market.

Holden Suburban, built in Brazil, fitted with a Blazer dash that was modified to fit the Suburban. Come over here, drive a current model Suburban, and you will be satisfied.
The Australian Suburban was a limited-run series from left-over parts, sold for $80,000 at 2 Holden dealers in every state. That shape Suburban in America was at the end of it's life. All new platform, body and engines came out in the US in 1999.

The new Taurus build quality is very good. It would be like comparing the new Taurus to the old EF Falcon, and saying Australian cars suck.

There is also a problem with consistency. According to this article, if I may read between the lines here, US car companies that build cars in Austria, Mexico, Brazil, Canada are still "American." But when made in Australia, it is Australian.
Let me guess, a German branded car, built in the US is still German right?
There are also a lot of Japanese and Korean owned car manufacturing plants in the US also. Do they have bad build quality?

The fact is, Australia really hasn't had many US made cars imported there. The BMW X5, Merc ML and Ford Mustang (which was converted in Australia to RHD) are about the only ones I can think of.
The
Hummer has gone from everywhere because it was a fashion car that went out of style.

We have owned Fords and Holdens in Australia too, and they were not exactly engineering excellence, but since the BA - Holden took a bit longer (since the VE), they became very good cars.

I have said this before, American car companies never globalized their product line. Every country had it's own line that was marketed to "localize" the brand. It worked! Probably too well. Now they seem to be trying to go for a global line, just like European brands do. It's going to take some time!

There are things which they could do to make more of an impact around the world. Develop ALL the cars in RHD. Ford builds a 4.4L V8 in Mexico for the Range Rover, why not put this in the F150 and Expedition, use some of the off-road technology they had from Land Rover, and globalize these products at a decent price? Maybe they will?

Last edited by chevypower; 13-07-2010 at 03:36 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

That article is just a mish-mash of this that and the other, with no real merit. How can that guy call himself a jouno and sleep at night?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
That article is just a mish-mash of this that and the other, with no real merit. How can that guy call himself a jouno and sleep at night?
These articles should be labelled as 'Opinion' rather than fact. That way they don't have to let facts get in the way of such dribble.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
a worrying sign for a company that is seriously considering replacing the home-grown Taurus with the AUS-designed Falcon from Australia after 2013.
Edited for Accuracy!!
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
The problem with that article (apart from it being BS), is most of these "American" cars were not actually American (that went to Australia).
Yeah but most of those cars mentioned were designed primarily for a North American market. Its not hard to tell the difference, the dead feel of the steering and the dynamic abilities of a XE with busted springs.
Old 13-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe chrysler shouldn't have shut down their australian plant and sold it to mitsubishi!
Old 13-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Yeah but most of those cars mentioned were designed primarily for a North American market. Its not hard to tell the difference, the dead feel of the steering and the dynamic abilities of a XE with busted springs.
Doesn't matter, they don't compare. Eg, the Australian F250 gaps between panels, play in steering wheel, fit and finish - far under standard compared to the US version. Oh, mine has a glovebox too. Seriously though my F150 feels very similar to a BA Falcon inside. I drove a 2011 Silverado HD today, and the steering felt very precise and tight. Not saying the vehicles can't be improved, i'm just saying Australia hasn't really had much of an experience at all with US-built cars, and they have really upped the game over the last 5 or so years. Probably because of the bad reputation for quality. Toyota on the other hand - undeserved good reputation, and of course they let go of what mediocrity they had, and now I would say a Hyundai has better build quality than Toyota. The new Hyundais are quite good in my opinion.
Old 13-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

story tellers have to make a buk too........
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
It's all uphill for battling American brands
RICHARD BLACKBURN
July 10, 2010
a worrying sign for a company that is seriously considering replacing the home-grown Falcon with the US-designed Taurus after 2013.
The same journalist had a story last week about the FG Falcon and it's platform lasting until at least 2015-2016.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not sure that using BA interior quality as a bench mark is a good thing, IMO in some ways it was a step down from AU and even EF/EL.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Im not sure that using BA interior quality as a bench mark is a good thing, IMO in some ways it was a step down from AU and even EF/EL.
I agree, and they did wind the quality control back for the BA.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #24
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
The same journalist had a story last week about the FG Falcon and it's platform lasting until at least 2015-2016.
I just don't understand some of these crackpots. I just wasted 17 seconds.
Old 14-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #25
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Ok, it feels tight, everything fits, looks good. I can't really fault it.
Old 14-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #26
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Ok, it feels tight, everything fits, looks good. I can't really fault it.
i know where your comeing from..
australia: the dumping ground for hasbeen car/trucks that went out of fashion 20yrs ago
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post