Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
tony302coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
My suggestion is a Mitubishi Delica series 2 and beyond, 7-8 seater, 4x4 (its an actual 4by), can get in diesel or v6 ulp, acres of room, lwb has a better-than-your-average van boot, also can get in high roof with plenty of goodies. All for around 10K+.
Its a whole lot of car for that sorta money i reckon.
I would go with the above suggestion, We picked up a turbo diesel delica in WA for Our daughter who has 4 kids (between 3 & 9 years) its been fantastic and the interior seem to withstand what the kids throw at it. In WA they seem to be very common and easy to get parts for and most have low Ks
Cheers
Tony
tony302coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #32
smally289
growing up is optional

I faced a similar decision a couple of years ago and had to shop for a 7 seater. As a mechanic I had seen lots of different vehicles in this category and their problems.

Most 4x4's really fail miserably as people movers, with poor rear access, legroom and comfort. Add that to the fact that they are heavy and thirsty, I ruled them out.

Unfortunately vans are really the best unless you need off road capability. Tarago's were too pricey for me, Honda Oddysey and Mazda MPV too small and didn't even consider the Kia Carnival. I know the later ones had their engine problems fixed (the sleeves would come loose in the block and punch out the head gaskets) but build quality issues also steered me away. The newer Grand Carnival with the 3.8 V6 would be great (built by Hyundai and sold as the Entourage in Korea) but too pricey again.

I ended up with a 2000 Hyundai Trajet 2.7 V6. For the same money I could have got a Tarago that was 8 years older, with 100,000 more km and a lot less goodies. The Trajet has twin airbags, cruise control, ABS brakes, dual A/C, power windows, CD player and proper rear doors that don't slide. The V6 is the same as the Sonata, so parts are relatively cheap and readily available. It has more power and torque than all the other vans I was considering in the same price range.
Ive done about 50,000km in it now (had 60,000 on the clock when we got it) including 3 or 4 trips to Melbourne (1400km) and one to the Gold Coast (4000km) and it has never missed a beat. The engine doesnt have any oil leaks at all and has only required the normal timing belt and plug change @ 100,00km. Ive towed our camper trailer on some trips, but used a large roof pod on the QLD trip. With 7 people and a crap load of luggage, it overtakes B doubles no probs.
As embarrassing as people movers are, if you need one, I would recommend the Hyundai Trajet anyday.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Pick up a unique cars magazine and look at the myriad of japanese import dealers, you'll see lots of Delica's in them.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #34
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would suggest a Kia Grand Carnival.

8 Seater, Tri-Zone Climate control, etc.

The Carnivals Prior to 2006 had a dodgy Rover engine that kept blowing up, but the post 2006 models have the Hyundai Lambda engine (V6 3.8L for the Grand Carnival - LWB).

Stacks of room and so much better on build quality then the comparable Tarago model.

I have driven Taragos at work at they are by far worse in performance, room and build quality then my car.

I've also towed a Mitsu Pajero on a car trailer for over 300k's with no dramas.

For the mini van market, you can't find a van that will do better...

Must be a good car cause Hyundai rebadged it the Hyundai Entourage, the new (unreleased) Honda Odossy uses it's chassy, as does the new Dodge Grand Caravan....

Good Luck..

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #35
smally289
growing up is optional

Unfortunately, I think the Grand Carnival is out of the mentioned price range
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #36
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Hi fellas...

After going through the cars you guys have suggested, it seems these Kia carnivals seem best suited for my price range.

This is one we saw today: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...8&keywords=kia

They do seem really practical.

Why are their reputations so bad? What problems did they have, and what should I be looking out for.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #37
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I personally wouldn't touch that model, but it is up to you. As mentioned in the description it has had a new engine! "Car has proved to be a good reliable & versatile transport". Um is that why it has required an engine replacement? Maybe check what engine he put in it. If he replaced it with the rover motor (which you would assume it was as it was done under warranty), it might be worth looking elsewhere. Otherwise as long as you know you are taking a punt with it....
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #38
bigdude1011

Why not a BA Mk2 (or later) wagon (they get a remote boot release where the Mk1 doesn't)? You could probably get an ex-fleeter for under $10,000.

You could possibly get a dicky seat and LiLPG with the change from the purchase.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #39
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

The last engine blew up not long ago, aint that reliable , the vans themselves are pretty nice, its the garbage engine that really lets them down. Otherwise theres nothing else wrong with them?? Id be very careful if you go down the carnival path. Better still, avoid if possible. Its a sorta hit and miss affair....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Why are their reputations so bad? What problems did they have, and what should I be looking out for.
As mentioned earlier, it is the head gaskets that go on them because of loose cylinder sleeves. I worked at Kia for a short period and they had a section of the workshop dedicated to this. There would always be one or two cars having the short block replaced with new head gaskets at any one time.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #41
g4orce

I love the build quality of Jap Cars, Honda Odysseys are very nice very good build quality, reliable & powerful as there vtech, Honda Vtech engines are known to be very reliable & some people call them bullet proof but i wouldnt go that far but ye.

Iv driven 2 Honda Odyseys and its like driving a car, has power, room, Class, comfy, Reliable & not really ugly looking. + there hondas resale value is always better than Kias etc.
When i drove the Kia Carnival i wasnt that impressed with the quality and the look.

Theres a Honda Oddysey on carsales for $9900
2002 model 2nd Gen & hes negotiable.
Check it out looks like a decent car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8991393&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_R ankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Ma ke_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=0& __N=1216%201282%204294965322%204294964926%20408&si lo=1011&PriceTo=408&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=1 5&trecs=21&__sid=12954D1DDD62

The car is located in QLD but im sure you will be able to find simillar in WA.
Old 18-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #42
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsubishi Nimbus 7 seater I can definitely recommend to you. The one we have now is a 1997 model, 250k kms and has been an excellent buy. They are an Import and I think the last model is 2000 or 2001. They would all be under $10,000 I suspect. Not all outlets stock parts for them or even list them, eg radiator hoses. But no problems if you go to a Mitsubishi dealer.
In the 5-6yrs we have had it, it has never broken down and has been to the dealer once for one repair ($700 supplied/fitted) It feels just as good now as when we bought it and everything works as it should. Cant really ask for much better than that.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #43
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Thanks fellas, Ill give the Kia a miss then.

Ill start looking around at these Hondas,

Thanks again.