Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default The $1mil speeding fine...

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225903257112

Quote:
POLICE in Switzerland said today they had seized a Swedish motorist's $240,000 sports car after he was caught doing 290km/h on a Swiss motorway.
Swiss officials were unable to say if it was a record because they do not keep such nationwide data, but it "looks very close to one," federal roads office spokesman Thomas Rohrbach said.
Police in the western canton of Fribourg said in a statement that the 37 year-old driver had to be stopped by a neighbouring police force last Friday after he shot past a permanent speed trap.
His driving licence and 570-horsepower black Mercedes-Benz were seized after he was released from custody, and he could face a fine of up to one million Swiss francs ($1.050m) depending on his income.
A local magistrate ordered police to keep the car as security pending a likely court ruling and an eventual sentence.
.Driving more than 25km/h over the 120km/h-speed limit on motorways in Switzerland is regarded as a criminal offence, and fines are based on a driver's revenue.
The Swedish motorist's alleged speed goes off the scale and the penalty is at the judge's discretion, up to a maximum of 1.08 million Swiss francs for speeding, Mr Rohrbach said.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
tweeked
N/A all the way

Ouch!!! Wonder ho fast his next car will go, i think it will be an old Golf after he pays the fine

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
fines are based on a driver's revenue.
I like this.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
I like this.
ummm no. Think it through. Those on the dole - no fine. Unemployed - no fine. Single mum at home - no fine.
You- works bum off to pay mortgage, no priors, gets pinged by revenue raiser and a matching fine for your income pre-tax.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
ummm no. Think it through. Those on the dole - no fine. Unemployed - no fine. Single mum at home - no fine.
You- works bum off to pay mortgage, no priors, gets pinged by revenue raiser and a matching fine for your income pre-tax.
No, all of the above have to serve jail time. It is only fair......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No, all of the above have to serve jail time. It is only fair......
Of course, i should have known that. If you speed then you are in the same category as the kiddie fiddlers, murderers and rapists.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Of course, i should have known that. If you speed then you are in the same category as the kiddie fiddlers, murderers and rapists.
Absolutely, luckily we have the best government money can buy so it will not effect the important people.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The important people - the ones who run the country all have drivers, so they will never know the wrath of exceeding the limits that they impose upon us. They can always use the "plausible deniability" excuse, where they can say "I did not know my driver was speeding - even though i did ask to get there in a rush". "I shall have him flogged now and get another one"
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush