Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #31
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing threatened by the cash for clunkers policy is good government.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #32
slo_crossflow
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
Election year rubbish, and asfor who ever said we could go Japans way and Outlaw all the cars over X years old... That would put my BA and XE off the road, My dads 2006 Mitsubishi and everybody elses cars off the road.

As for the OFF TOPIC about old Vs new crashes Id rather be in the newer car....

A good mate of mine's BF MKII SR after a runin with a big tree at 103kph, Driver was the only passenger and walked out with broken... PRIDE and nothing more. Car is a little worse for wear, God knows I wouldn't wanna hit a tree like that in even my XE Ghia...
So he hit the tree at 103kph, how fast was he going before he braked?.
Old 16-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

he never hit the brakes at all, choaked on a drink and passed out...

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #34
WMD351
Size it up

patxbcoupe, glad to see this thread back on track.
You've touched on the issue of our freedom and rights, and it's something that should concern us all.
I once saw a crazy man living in the outback who said that the freedom to do what you want was like a pie, and the government was like a sneaky housemate.
The housemate sneaks into our fridge and slices off just a little sliver of pie and we don't notice. They do this again and again and the slices are so thin that we don't even notice we're missing any or that the pie is getting smaller.
Then one day we go to the fridge and the pie is completely GONE.
And we never even noticed it was being taken from us, but it's to late.
Maybe he wasn't all that crazy.
For the record, I like pie.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #35
jixel 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30
SA doesn't even have annual roadworthy checks for any vehicle, IIRC. These would have to have some sort of impact on the emissions, wouldn't they?

Every time the suggestion comes up, the RAA (our NRMA/RACV) bags it completely - I wonder if this is because it would reduce the number of people taking up a membership, as their cars would potentially be more reliable?
Neither does WA. Drove around for ages in a WA Registered car in Melbourne. It wasnt a pig mind you, but the amount of pooboxes on the road in Perth compared to states with Annual Inspections is huge. The percentage of backyarders `doing it properly` is miniscule. I`ve repaired countless butchered cars for DIY heroes. Annual Inspections across the country would improve the health of the fleet and create jobs.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #36
patxbcoupe
aussie coupes belong here

WMD351, yeah mate that is exactly what I was trying to get across, the pie analogy is a good way to illustrate it.
Unfortunately, I dont think either major party will be much better than the other, however Labor's preference deal with the Greens makes me think that if they get back in, more and more land will be locked up forever, we'll be paying an exorbitant carbon tax that achieves nothing and older cars could be legislated off the road sooner than anyone might think.
Its a scary choice, when most of us are average workers and the alternative could involve some sort of a return to Workchoices...
Its ashame that the old Aussie value of "keeping an eye out for each other" and "standing up for your rights" are all but a thing of the past.
Nuff whinging better get the XB out for a run on the w/end while I still can lol Pat
patxbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #37
max_torq
From the Futura

So how was cash for clunker originally advocated in the US as a car industry stimulus measure, and here is sold as a global warming solution? More like a policy in search of a problem..
max_torq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #38
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

search youtube for "clunker engine disablement" very sad to see.....
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq
So how was cash for clunker originally advocated in the US as a car industry stimulus measure, and here is sold as a global warming solution? More like a policy in search of a problem..

The difference here is that it will only apply to buying certain cars, not all like what was happening during the GFC.