Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
knuman
Starter Motor

Default Caught by Mobile Speed Camera?

Hi everyone -- am wondering if anyone out there has been caught by one of the new mobile speed cameras in NSW (warning or fine).

I'm working on a feature piece on them and would really appreciate it if someone would be willing to share their experience with me.

More generally, what do people think of them? Revenue raising or life saving? And what do you think of the fact they are operated by private contractors?

Thanks

Old 26-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Revenue raising. Going private contractors gives them distance and deniability (sic?) when the mongrels do the dirty by hiding and setting up at the bottom of hills etc.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 26-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
fg_nitro

Are you doing this as a survey or have you joined as a reporter doing a story?

I dont want to sound rude but your questions are aiming at a certain response.
Old 26-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Revenue raising at its best.
Its bad enough going private but with macquarie bank having a stakeholder in the operation no one can believe its in the interests of motorist safety now.

If they were serious about road toll they would be spending money on infrastructure, better intersections/roads and compulsory driver training that is subsidised by the government.

May as well just start becoming a communist country with camera's watching everything we do.

Road safety doesn't come down to 'speed' there is alot of factors as to why people crash even when speed is a 'contributing factor' by just slowing everyone down doesn't make people not crash.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 26-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree, blatant revenue raising. however, it's probably a good thing to have private contractor do it, IF it frees up the police to go after the real criminals.
Old 26-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pure revenue raising.
They are usually set up at the bottom of hills or where the speed limit has just been reduced to scam hard earned money off the average citizen.

There is no deterent unlike the regular sight of a brightly painted HWY Patrol car.
They dont have the ability to check for things like the roadworthyness of the car.
They dont detect erratic behavior such as that displayed by fatigued, drunk or drug effected drivers.
They have no effect on the road toll even though the propganda released by the government will tell you otherwise.

Unfortunately, the governments of the day know that the real way to reduce fatalities on our roads are going to cost them big time. They have no real interest in reducing it. Its easier to just turn it around, lay the blame on driver behaviour, in particular the only one which is quantifiable (speed), talk up the speed kills propaganda and rake in the revenue.

Speed cameras are the poker machine of the noughties!
Old 26-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
Are you doing this as a survey or have you joined as a reporter doing a story?

I dont want to sound rude but your questions are aiming at a certain response.
Good point,as for the rest of this can of worms:
1.Private contractor with a bank as a major stake holder,does tend to make one think...'revenue raising'.

2.Will it free up the coppers for their real job,don't think so.

3.Private contractor could be up for some real hard abuse verbal or physical,no blue uniform as a deterrant.

4. As UNR8D said if they're fair dinkum where is the driver training and infrastructure.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 26-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would be nice to know who you represent first?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 26-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

On a side note, they are introducing bin camera like in WA up here in QLD. How in the effing hell does that work? Is the money going to be put back into the roads? Has anyone on here driven down some of the main roads around the Northside of Brisbane lately? The words "Rigirous Spinal Adjustment" come to mind.

IMO, if they are serious about reducing road toal, put it to them that the money collected should go back into the roads, then we'll really see who is more "dangerous" to the community at large. Do you think it's those who speed, or those who refuse to acknowledge there is a problem and their methods of enforcement DON'T WORK!

The only thing more "dangerous" than doing the speed limit in my area are the gaping pot holes and 30 different surfaces from various "repairs" it has had.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 26-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They had a news story here (Canberra) the other night that said that there were more accidents at the camera sites here than before the cameras were installed - the camera sites were chosen as high accident spots! Well, the sure made that better!

Any form of ixed or mobile speed cameras are pure revenue raising. If the camera is in an 80 zone, people do around 90 up to the camera, 80 for the 100m past the camera, and then back up to 90. So yes, they reduce speed, and as found in Canberra, increase accident rates, for a whole 100m or so!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 26-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
jorgo86

The mobile cameras are pure revenue raising.

There's also been talk in NSW about bringing down the speeding "buffer" from 4km over to 1km over the limit.

That's right, speed 1km over and you will be fined and get points off!

How the hell can that be anything but blatent revenue raising?!
Old 26-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgo86
The mobile cameras are pure revenue raising.

There's also been talk in NSW about bringing down the speeding "buffer" from 4km over to 1km over the limit.

That's right, speed 1km over and you will be fined and get points off!

How the hell can that be anything but blatent revenue raising?!
It's more than 4 KM over the limit.

Just so you know.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuman
Hi everyone -- am wondering if anyone out there has been caught by one of the new mobile speed cameras in NSW (warning or fine).

I'm working on a feature piece on them and would really appreciate it if someone would be willing to share their experience with me.

More generally, what do people think of them? Revenue raising or life saving? And what do you think of the fact they are operated by private contractors?

Thanks
Welcome to AFF Knuman

What type of "feature piece" are you working on.
who is target audience, where is this goin to be published.
considering this is your first post and you like us to contribute to your feature piece, thought it be nice if you could perhaps introduce yourself.

AFF is great online Community with wealth of knowledge and great motoring enthusiasts.

Cheers
H
Old 26-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
MAD
Petro-sexual

Personally I wouldn't care if they had cameras set up in bins, letter boxes, wheelchairs, whatever as long as the limits were set to say 10 over. This is a speed at which I think we all agree it is becoming excessive. Not 5km/h over.
This will get far more people 'purposely' speeding, not everyday mum's and dad's that have a minor lapse in watching their speedo like a hawk.
At the moment, by far, the majority of speeding fines is for offences under 10km/h over.
Old 26-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I think this topic has had a run before ...... But I could be mistaken

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread