Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default AU1 Futura engine problems

as suggested in my build thread where i have meantioned whats going on, the ecu isn't shutting down any cylinders...

what its doing:

it runs ike **** with coolant in the system but then it leaks out somewhere... took it for a run the first night it was running, it had full coolant/water mixture at the right percentage (had the mechanic blend it first before we put it in), then got to the BP servo to check it and it was dead empty... ran the engine while filling it up, this time with just water, was empty within 200m, so stopped at the 7-11 500m down the road, filled it back up with clean, fresh water again and went for a 5km drive... the car still didn't overheat even with no coolant/water and the thermos didn't kick in until i turned the aircon on to test it when i got back home 10 mins after we last filled it up... opened the bonnet, the temp seemed normal and the thermos still wern't running, there was no coolant/water left in the system and the engine still was idling and running like a dog with 4 cylinders with all injectors firing, all spark plugs and leads firing so nothing to suggest ingition/fuel. gas mixer doesn't work.

The gas mixer sits under the coolant overfill bottle and went to undo the coolant lid within 30 seconds of starting the car the first time so that it can run through the radiator/engine and the gas mixer was boiling hot soo much that you couldn't put the coolant lid back on without heatproof gloves... didn't run it on gas for that reason.

now, all coolant hoses are connected properly, intake is connected properly, coil is working perfectly, injectors and spark plugs are working fine (leads and plugs are brand new ones that were put in 15 mins before i tried to start the car....

here is the list of problems

coolant "dissappears", cannot source where it is leaking from even with the car running up on the car stands

gas mixer gets really really hot even with there being coolant/water in the system

engine doesn't overheat even with no coolant/water in the system

thermos still turn on normally when its meant to and turns on with the aircon fan turned to 3 and max

so i don't know whats going on. i am going to get a video of whats going on this arvo when i visit the car

there are no loose bolts/nuts/screws. i have checked it myself twice, the mechanic has gone over it a few times aswell

any help is welcome, even the smallest screw that may be loose.

cheers

XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be the heater tap is rooted ****ing coolant every where, or the heater core is rooted, could also be the welsh plugs have sprung a leak or the one which is coverd by the bell housing

And most likely the reason why it runs crap is or it dosent over heat is, if it losses all of the coolant and run dry it will engage the cylinder shut down mode to prevent damage

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you`ve checked everything else maybe(if your car is an auto) the water is leaking through the auto cooler into the auto?, on another note my mate had coolant disappearing in his lpg equipped el falcon, all the water was`nt dissappearing but a fair percentage of it, it turns out a seal had gone in the convertor and it was going directly into the engine with the gas, when the gas hose to the engine was checked it had some coolant in it,, good luck with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post