Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Default My girlfriends review of a brand new VE SV6 Ute

As the title suggets, my girlfriend arrived home after spending the day in a brand new VE SV6 work ute. She is completely unbiased and knows next to nothing about cars. Granted she drives a BA Futura but her previous car was a Holden vectra and her dads car is a VT calais which she enjoys driving.

Her exact words were, I drove a brand new commodore SV6 ute today. My reply ( expecting the worst, ie "I want to trade in the BA for one" ) What did you think?

Her reply to my relief, It was ok but............It felt pretty slow, the motor was very noisy ( she described the sound which cracked me up) , the steering was heavy and the handbrake was very flimsy. She thought the interior was pretty tacky and much preferred everything about her BA.

She said it was "ok" but if she were looking for a new ute and test drove it, she would be very disappointed. Keep in mind this is someone who doesnt know jack all about cars. How do Holden sell so many cars to the masses? I dont want this to be a Holden bashing thread by any means, but its painfully obvious which is the better car to drive

Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper (girlfriend that is)

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I drove the SV6 ute (2010 model) when they first came out, we had it as a work basher... it was fun for the first 10kms, until you try and use the gearbox in 'sports shift' mode. Then things go downhill....

Laggy gearbox, tacky interior, horrible visibility (especially with the canopy on) which I can only liken to playing russian roulette when changing lanes.

I'm a big fan of the sedans, can't stand the utes. My 2c.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
As the title suggets, my girlfriend arrived home after spending the day in a brand new VE SV6 work ute. She is completely unbiased and knows next to nothing about cars. Granted she drives a BA Futura but her previous car was a Holden vectra and her dads car is a VT calais which she enjoys driving.

Her exact words were, I drove a brand new commodore SV6 ute today. My reply ( expecting the worst, ie "I want to trade in the BA for one" ) What did you think?

Her reply to my relief, It was ok but............It felt pretty slow, the motor was very noisy ( she described the sound which cracked me up) , the steering was heavy and the handbrake was very flimsy. She thought the interior was pretty tacky and much preferred everything about her BA.

She said it was "ok" but if she were looking for a new ute and test drove it, she would be very disappointed. Keep in mind this is someone who doesnt know jack all about cars. How do Holden sell so many cars to the masses? I dont want this to be a Holden bashing thread by any means, but its painfully obvious which is the better car to drive
She should drive the falcon ute then.
I don't think the falcon ute has as much room in the back.
If it was a V8 como ute there would be no complaint about the noise.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind my Commodore ute. I would prefer a Falcon though. And I agree the sound in V8 is pretty good. (the only plus over my Falcon).
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do they keep selling so well? It has nothing to do with the car itself, how it looks or drives. The answer is simple.

It's a Holden, maaaaate!

It's culturally ingrained - part of that "Australian dream" that cropped up in the prosperity of the post-war era. Mummy and Daddy, two kids, three bedroom house on 1/4 acre block, white picket fence, and a new Holden in the drive.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
glavas

maybe because its a sv6? if it was a ssv or a maloo im sure she would have liked it.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets compare apples with apples here, how many SV6 utes sell compared to XR6 Utes?

Over 80% of new car sales are to fleets, and fleets by on price and change over price, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove brand new sv6, omega and xr6. The xr6 was miles ahead and I was majorly disappointed with the sv6. Not worth the money.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
Why do they keep selling so well? It has nothing to do with the car itself, how it looks or drives. The answer is simple.
It's a Holden, maaaaate!
It's culturally ingrained - part of that "Australian dream" that cropped up in the prosperity of the post-war era. Mummy and Daddy, two kids, three bedroom house on 1/4 acre block, white picket fence, and a new Holden in the drive.
It's amazing how the the Holden brand has hung onto it's "Aussie icon" type
status, even though the Commodores used to be re-branded Opels, and
many models are now Daewoos with a lion badge....
Clever marketing I guess.. ?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
It's a Holden, maaaaate!

It's culturally ingrained - part of that "Australian dream"
I was robbed I asked Thrifty rent a car for my $80 back.
Test drive a Cruze, it's the most horrible new car I have ever driven, concrete seats, 2.0L engine that feels like 200cc engine....

We had a VE SV6 for a day, gutless compared to the Falcon.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I was robbed I asked Thrifty rent a car for my $80 back.
Test drive a Cruze, it's the most horrible new car I have ever driven, concrete seats, 2.0L engine that feels like 200cc engine....

We had a VE SV6 for a day, gutless compared to the Falcon.
They shouldve called it the Cruze SL/R in honour of Gemmys

As for the SV6, havent driven one of them specifically. I have driven a VE with the old Alloytec V6, it really was a gutless POS that had no idea what gear to stay in.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from past experience the auto gear box is always hideous in commodore
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
They shouldve called it the Cruze SL/R in honour of Gemmys
I was thinking Camira.

I too cannot understand how anyone could drive any of the other large cars on offer at the moment and buy a Commodore.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
spvd02

Holden seem to keep their cars looking fresher, and I think advertising has a huge role to play in this. They advertise their new IQ system like it's the next big invention after the wheel, and that SIDI - wow it's amazing! The advertising is very clever, and leaves one thinking if it's not a Holden, it's not as good. The effect of their advertising is incredible IMO..
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
AUfairmont00
Starter Motor

Fords always have been and always will be, better.
AUfairmont00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
kezzer

People saying they are gutless? They recorded better times in Motor mag then the ford xr6.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
oranpark addict

I wouldnt call many 6 cylinders in this day and age gutless. What would you guys be like if you went for a drive in a 4 cylinder?
oranpark addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
MexicanBatman
Banned

well the camry hybrid 4 cyl thing is faster than the 3.0L sidi

and thats an economy car, there are plenty of pepppy 4's, just as long as its not a 2.0 or less and auto
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Its all relative I guess, can't say I'm impressed with my XR6 at all, come to think of it wish I hadn't been conned by the missus to buy it. Been in many Holdens and Fords over the years and have always been impressed with the domestic offerings in the performance range, outside of that they do not excite me one bit.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #21
oranpark addict

Point taken.

As F6 FOON says, It's all relative.
oranpark addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
FocusLX06

She is right about the noise. It must be a V6 thing 'cause the Kluger suffers from the same problem.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having recently bought a SV6 Sportwagon, im suprised they sell as many as they do. The current Commodore is focused too much at the enthusiast and not enough at the mums and A-B drivers.

The wheels sticking out by 3 inches outside of the body make it handle but its a bugger to park, the battery in the boot helps give the car 50-50 weight distribution but it reduces bootspace, the thick pillars make the car very stiff but it reduces visability.

There are many aspects to the Commodore that they spent money on which probably wasnt necessary, the rear suspension is georgous, but they perhaps should of saved 50 milllion and put it into the handbrake and power window switches. The new direct injected 3.6 motor hammers like a 350Z but they should of made it less noisy (although I like it).

Ive had the SV6 for two days now and LOVE IT. Best car I have ever owned. Fast, incredibly good handling, grip is fantastic, brakes are great for a standard car. Wagon practicality is already being used with picking up a washing machine and carting the dog. Getting low 8s in highway consumption and it isnt even run in. Solid as a rock at high speeds and it turns heads in my town. The series 2 improvements with touchscreen makes it feel a generation newer.

Having said all that, I would be in a FG wagon if it existed. But so far very happy with the car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #24
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The SV6 is a bit nosier over the standard as it has the sports exhaust package but most ppl spending the extra $$ on the SV6 appreciate that garble.

If i needed a work ute i would go for either a diesel Colorado or a falcon ute, the commodore is 10 times better to drive but all that changes once you throw more than a few hundred kilos in the back it turns to a dog where as you can put a tonne in the falcon or Colorado and not notice it.

the rangers are crap and the hilux is a joke with no where near the reliability of the old model, the v6 version is not available on the dual cab and my mate did in 2 4 cylinder heads towing with it.

so for work = falcon or diesel Colorado
for show = commodore ute

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

similar thing but other way round, my sister's boyfriend who has an 08 VE SV6 sedan, scooted down the bottle'o in my FG on Saturday evening and came back convinced he wanted to swap me. He mentioned the FG feeling far lighter and zippier but also far more solid with more tourque too.. oh and much, much quieter. Never even sat in an SV6 myself but this isn't the first time an SV6 fan has given a glowing review of an FG.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
similar thing but other way round, my sister's boyfriend who has an 08 VE SV6 sedan, scooted down the bottle'o in my FG on Saturday evening and came back convinced he wanted to swap me. He mentioned the FG feeling far lighter and zippier but also far more solid with more tourque too.. oh and much, much quieter. Never even sat in an SV6 myself but this isn't the first time an SV6 fan has given a glowing review of an FG.

I think the FG would have to have one of the best ride/handling and engine/trans combos out there. But still the steering for me is the highlight, they really are fantastic cars even in base model form.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #27
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I think the FG would have to have one of the best ride/handling and engine/trans combos out there. But still the steering for me is the highlight, they really are fantastic cars even in base model form.
they are indeed. and even in past models, falcons have always felt tough and powerful and just overly better than the Commo even though they aren't always quicker, a fine example is the EA-VN comparison. Previos model Commos I've tried always feel like 'hollow' power, like all squeal with no real guts. And your above comment was good too, Ford really dropped the ball scrapping the wagon. Yeh, I know, we're all gonna say, Territory this, and global platform that, but an FG wagon with full engine options (not just the BF donk and glorified EA 4speed), woulda stolen so many Wagon fans away from Holden's wild VE examples. So much potential, if only someone at Ford had taken the punt on a new wagon.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #28
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
The SV6 is a bit nosier over the standard as it has the sports exhaust package but most ppl spending the extra $$ on the SV6 appreciate that garble.
Yeah I asked her if it was the exahust and she said no, the engine was far noisier/harsher than her BA. Which I think even by todays standards is a nice quiet and smooth engine. The Commodores are sold before the buyer enters the dealership. If only they test drove the Falcon first....