Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #151
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

[QUOTE=XR6 Martin]Probably 50kg, if not more. All that weight so far forward is not what the manufacturer ever envisaged. It would cause hell to camber, castor, toe, bushes, steering, braking.
QUOTE]

That's the reason to get a wheel alignment after fitting one.

As for the extra weight causing other problems. Doubt it. It's the same as changing your car from a 6 cyl to a V8.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #152
FgNewbie
Australia

< deleted - I'll shuddup and walk away >

Last edited by FgNewbie; 27-01-2011 at 09:01 PM.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #153
Terraplainin'

There’s a fair amount of conjecture in this thread without much in the way of facts.

Fact: the proposed standard will make no distinction between geographic area. It’s proposed to be an ADR and as such vehicles to which the ADR applies sold in Australia must comply. No ifs, no buts.

Fact: the proposed standard is all about harmonising the Australian ADRs with GTR 9. GTR 9 can be found here. The Regulation Impact Statement is an attempt to describe the results of implementing this standard as an ADR in Australia. The RIS is located here.

Fact: the RIS appears to focus almost exclusively on a perceived benefit of a reduction of costs to society based on some form of esoteric modelling, combining Victorian and UK statistics. It basically does not consider the impact of the proposed standard on rural and remote motoring in Australia.

Fact: GTR 9 was developed in a part of the world where the hazards associated with rural and remote motoring in Australia simply do not exist. Large animals exist in some areas (i.e. moose in Sweden) but the distances between towns, the climate and the telecommunications coverage significantly differ.

Fact: venting on a forum may make you feel good, but will not have any affect whatsoever on this issue. The only way to have your say in this issue is to download the form located here, fill in your details and post it to the address listed in the form.

To be honest, I agree with making vehicles more pedestrian friendly where practicable; you would, with respect, have to be pretty daft not to. But the sheer inability of Canberra based bureaucrats to consider the country as a whole, and to see anything other than what their modelling tells them, leads me to strongly vote against any of the proposed changes. They simply will not get it right.

For what it’s worth, this is what I inserted in the comments section of the form.

The proposed standard will, for all practical proposes, remove the right of country Australians to fit frontal protection systems that have saved lives in this country for generations. It is absolutely essential that this standard is not adopted if it affects, in any way, this right.

I have driven hundreds of thousands of kilometres in rural and remote Australia. A bull bar fitted to my 2WD Ford Falcon ute has personally saved me from injury in the past and I expect it to do so in the future. Having read the RIS it is obvious that there is an exclusive focus on inner city pedestrians with no consideration of motorists that operate in rural and remote Australia where animal strikes are a reality.

The proposed standard has been developed for an inner city environment in a part of the world where the risks posed by rural and remote Australian motoring simply do not exist. To adopt it in this country without extensive modification is sheer lunacy. As I don’t have any faith in the ability of Canberra based bureaucrats to understand the issues Australian motorists face while travelling in the bush, I do not want this standard adopted in any form in this country.
Terraplainin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #154
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Have you got any idea what you're saying. Firstly, you're banging the drum about banning bullbars fitted to cars in surburbia, now you're saying this dribble. Seriously, you need to get out and about and see what happens in the real world, as far as motoring is concerned.
I'll do that, and whilst out there i'll keep an eye out for other people who need a bullbar to protect their fancy paint and add on gaurd flutes
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #155
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
I'll do that, and whilst out there i'll keep an eye out for other people who need a bullbar to protect their fancy paint and add on gaurd flutes

I surpose people like yourself are jealous that they don't have the skills to do things like that.

IMA. The flutes are not add ons, they're fitted properly. But hey, narrowminded people like yourself wouldn't understand that.

Time to move on, as you're beyond help

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 28-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #156
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

just got the email from four wheel drive action to sign a petition, signed it. cant believe they would tell someone who lives in remote australia that they cant protect themselves with a bullbar. ive hit 5 roos in the last year and my 4x4 would have been written off if it wasnt for the bullbar
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #157
Need4Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
just got the email from four wheel drive action to sign a petition, signed it.
+1 ...
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #158
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
just got the email from four wheel drive action to sign a petition, signed it. cant believe they would tell someone who lives in remote australia that they cant protect themselves with a bullbar. ive hit 5 roos in the last year and my 4x4 would have been written off if it wasnt for the bullbar
This is the link from the Email. You only have to fill out 4 boxes to have some say

This website can help you voice an opinion.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #159
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=svo supporter]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Probably 50kg, if not more. All that weight so far forward is not what the manufacturer ever envisaged. It would cause hell to camber, castor, toe, bushes, steering, braking.
QUOTE]

That's the reason to get a wheel alignment after fitting one.

As for the extra weight causing other problems. Doubt it. It's the same as changing your car from a 6 cyl to a V8.
Its not the same at all, the weight is alot further forward than the engine bay. Leverage and all that....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #160
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Its not the same at all, the weight is alot further forward than the engine bay. Leverage and all that....

Same principal. Alignment fixes camber/caster/toe issues. Bush wear isn't accelerated my having one fitted. If you are worried, replace the springs and shocks, just to raise the nose up by having the extra weight of the bar on the front.

Old 29-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #161
Work Horse
Budget Racer

My bull bar is fitted for safety, I need the weight over the front wheels. If the wheels come off the ground during hard acceleration I can't steer!
Old 29-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #162
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wanna see how many normal alloy Bullbars wiegh 50 KG

Ive got a few kikn around here and 2 alloy bars would still weigh less than the steel equivelant
I can put an alloy bullbar on each shoulder and walk but the steel one your flatout lifting it
One 4x4 here had this steel bullbar since new ,late 80s Nissan patrol
The car would have raised a good 3/4 inch when it was removed
Fitting the alloy bar the car hardly dropped anything
So the issues regarding "excess" wieght doesnt really wash with alloy bars
Unless of course they look like those hideous things like on those holden utes (pics in this thread)
But again it depends on the alloy thickness ect
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #163
go_ford

this is BS..the only thing I want for my 4x4 right now is a bullbar..you wouldnt believe how worried I am about hitting an animal when coming home at night!
Old 29-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #164
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Same principal. Alignment fixes camber/caster/toe issues. Bush wear isn't accelerated my having one fitted. If you are worried, replace the springs and shocks, just to raise the nose up by having the extra weight of the bar on the front.
Im not talking regular bullbars on 4wds.
Im talking the truck style ones on cars/utes....Like the Commodore Ute posted above.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #165
stupa

one of those big ally 5 posters on the utes weighs about 30kgs, hoad one for ages on my last ute and it had no noticable effect on steering and braking, even when going hard in either case
stupa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #166
TumekeFord
Starter Motor

Does that mean my fully kick **** replica of the simon & simon Ute is a no go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ricks 79 Dodge Power wagon.jpg (55.7 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by TumekeFord; 29-01-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Pic not linking
TumekeFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #167
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Im talking the truck style ones on cars/utes....Like the Commodore Ute posted above.

Same response as before.

Old 30-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #168
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There seems to be about a 2 year cycle for bullbar bashing. Same sh@##^t just another 2/3 years down the track. The only way to make it work would be to make the bars comply with the an ADR for bullbars which wouldnt be retrospective. There is no point in arguing the merits of front end weight, i drive a landcruiser ute for work in SWQld fitted with bullbar and its just as bumpy and crap handling with or without the bar. As for stopping distances, that will change with vehicle, tyres, load, driver, ABS or not, etc. etc. Theres toomany variables to legislate, maybe we could have individaul speed limits for every combination!!!!!!!! (sadly some genius legislator probably has thought of this, and we are paying this tool) It would be interesting to find out how many pedestrian deaths were caused by a vehicle with a bullbar. I think this will be the same as last time. Once the papers are sick of it we wont hear anymore on the subject
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #169
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Funnly enough, we just had a car in at work that needed the front of the chassis rails welded up and reinforced due to its bullbar creating strain, shocks had to be replaced as well due to the fact they were dealing with more wieght then normal....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post