Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 12-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Petrol 1.6 v Diesel 1.4

Hey guys, there seems to be a few regulars here with some knowledge and relatively new Fevs so I would like pick your brains a little. How many of you were able to test drive both petrol and diesel versions before your purchase? Was the D slower off the mark but much better once it got going? Judging by reports it is loads better on hills etc because of the torque. Any other things that swayed you either way? I am looking at purchasing one for my daughter but she only drives auto, why do you think Ford don't offer the diesel in auto. I would have thought it a no brainer to get more females into a lower priced Eco car. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly, you can't go wrong with either. A great car on all accounts, bar the average air-conditioning which is livable, but nothing to write home about.

The diesel, like the petrol is a 1.6L unit. At first you think it sounds tractor like, but you only really notice this at startup when outside the vehicle. I have the petrol and swear it sounds more diesel like than the diesels I have driven on occasions! In terms of raw get up and go, I still think the petrol is the better option. However, overtaking, and hill climbing, and fuel economy, the diesel shames the petrol. The Toowoomba range is quite a steep bit of road, I can do it in forth but it's easier to do it in third in my petrol Zetec. The diesel I test drove, my god, while it probably could have done it in fifth, I dropped back to forth and it just climbed. In terms of overtaking, I'd say it'd have the edge here too.

If it's an automatic you want, then you can now have a 1.6L petrol PowerShift 6-Speed auto. Or you can choose a manual on the petrol or diesel engine. No diesel automatic at this stage as you said, this is because the car is European designed, and automatics are not big over there in this segment. Around 10% of Fiesta models sold in Europe are automatics, so the development cost just isn't worth it.

The petrol by no means is a fuel guzzler, at least not the revised 1.6L engine (the old automatic petrol was a 1.4L which did use a bit of fuel), bit it can't match the diesels amazing figures of 4.4L/100km. The ECOnetic, a special model made to get even better fuel economy, can get 3.7L/100km on average according to the fuel stickers. The petrol uses 6.1L/100km for both automatic and manual, but I've had mine sub 5L on occasions, averaging high fives.

So what to get? Test drive them both, take your daughter and let her pick which engine. It's just one of those things that you need to see, or drive, to know. I'd still go petrol though, as tempting as the diesel is.
Old 13-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks dannyh, I appreciate your input and time. Looks like the petrol cos she won't drive a manual.
Old 14-03-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She'll love the new PowerShift. It is a little strange as it's always trying to get a higher gear when you think it needs to get more revs, there for better fuel economy I suppose, but the changes above 15km/h were bloody smooth when I drove one
Old 14-03-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Just a little side note-

Deesun - with the Auto - its not a traditional Auto - the Auto drives like a manual in terms of gear shifting. It is actually a manual box with a computer controlling it and selecting the gears.

For instance, in a traditional auto - when you brake for a set of lights the car just stops and goes into neutral (so to speak) in the new fez' it will actually gear down like a manual, and you will feel it do that.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Just a little side note-

Deesun - with the Auto - its not a traditional Auto - the Auto drives like a manual in terms of gear shifting. It is actually a manual box with a computer controlling it and selecting the gears.

For instance, in a traditional auto - when you brake for a set of lights the car just stops and goes into neutral (so to speak) in the new fez' it will actually gear down like a manual, and you will feel it do that.
Thanks, my FGXR6T is the same. Gears down too when in cruise control and on a long downhill section to keep speed to what cruise is set at. Or any time you give it some welly and come to a corner.
Thanks for the input photn.
Old 14-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the is no manual option for her, then the auto petrol is the go then. Also a test drive is a must even just to make sure its comfortable to drive.

My missus drove a Jazz and being a short ***, when she moved the seat forward to her driving position, he ankles/knees kept hitting a piece of dash plastic when she went to brake or clutch. So it always pays to drive a car first.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post