Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: Diesel or Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I don't think it's fair to compare a Turbo Diesel to a Petrol motor
Compare a Turbo Petrol (ie ecoboost) with a Turbo Diesel, now that's a real comparison
That is exactly the comparison I am making, 1.6L turbo petrol compared to a 2L turbo diesel. Quite a fair comparison considering the rest of the vehicle is the same.
Old 18-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #32
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Give Ecoboost a try, it might surprise you with diesel like torque and lots more horsepower....
The Barra 6 needs EcoBoost.
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
The Barra 6 should be diesel as well.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #34
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would choose diesel over the petrol if all else is equal. They are becoming more popular - so resale is better. Just look at 4x4 to see that in action.
As for spare parts (such as the fuel pump), They should all be covered by warranty for at least 100,000km. So how long are you going to keep it?

I don't like the driving experience of diesels, but i prefer them in my daily cars. More reliable, further between services (the disco 4 is 24,000km between services!), and use less fuel.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #35
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I know right? BMW do it. How hard could it be?
Old 18-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #36
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Nearly was. Burela had a small team of engineers trying to do just that. I can only imagine the MASSIVE torque that it could've generated if left at 4.0L of capacity. Based off the outputs of the TDV6 2.7L in the new SZ Territory which has 140/440 add 50% and get 210kW/660Nm.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Last year, Ford Netherlands released Autogas versions of Fiesta, Focus Mondeo and C-Max,
if ever there was an opportunity to tap into alternate fuels in different vehicles, that would
appear to be a good starting point...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #38
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Nearly was. Burela had a small team of engineers trying to do just that. I can only imagine the MASSIVE torque that it could've generated if left at 4.0L of capacity. Based off the outputs of the TDV6 2.7L in the new SZ Territory which has 140/440 add 50% and get 210kW/660Nm.
I miss Burela. Hopefully he left Graziano a to do list.

If those estimated figures were accurate... it's be more powerful than BMW's 535d. And that's saying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Last year, Ford Netherlands released Autogas versions of Fiesta, Focus Mondeo and C-Max,
if ever there was an opportunity to tap into alternate fuels in different vehicles, that would
appear to be a good starting point...
They'd be a hit here in Aus.
Old 18-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #39
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it already is the term "ecoboost is just a buzzword for getting more power out of a given engine size with a turbo so the XR6T is an ecoboost 6 because it gives V8 performance from a 6

Quote:
Diesel is better to drive, so much torque.

I'm a diesel convert, don't think I can go back to petrol engines after this.
It really depend on what you are looking for some people like the characteristics of a TD others prefer the characteristics of a petrol engine. they are two different types of engines with different characteristics so really one isn't better than the other as such it's just one is better in the eyes of an individual

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #40
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
it already is the term "ecoboost is just a buzzword for getting more power out of a given engine size with a turbo so the XR6T is an ecoboost 6 because it gives V8 performance from a 6
It's not performance focused like the I6T is. EcoBoost uses lean burn techniques to always make sure that it always burns the least amount of fuel possible, with a greater air mix. But it also delivers great performance.

The EcoBoost uses a twin turbo setup so that it's burning more air than fuel throughout the entire rev range.

This is how I understand it anyway. I don't think EB even uses intercoolers.
Old 18-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #41
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ecoboost 4 will bring the 4 banger as close to 6 cylinder performance as the I6 turbo gets to V8 performance. just because the 4 won't be a tyre shreading monster doesn't mean the comparison is wrong. the I6 turbo is a more economical way to get the power levels of a larger engine does that sound like what they are looking to acheive with the ecoboost?
Quote:
It's not performance focused like the I6T is. EcoBoost uses lean burn techniques to always make sure that it always burns the least amount of fuel possible, with a greater air mix. But it also delivers great performance.

The EcoBoost uses a twin turbo setup so that it's burning more air than fuel throughout the entire rev range.

This is how I understand it anyway. I don't think EB even uses intercoolers.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 18-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #42
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
the ecoboost 4 will bring the 4 banger as close to 6 cylinder performance as the I6 turbo gets to V8 performance. just because the 4 won't be a tyre shreading monster doesn't mean the comparison is wrong. the I6 turbo is a more economical way to get the power levels of a larger engine does that sound like what they are looking to acheive with the ecoboost?
It wasn't really. The I6T came in when V8 Fairmont's, and LWB Fairlanes were being made. Just another performance addition to the lineup. Plus it doesn't really add bring as good a fuel efficiency because it's not EcoBoost tuned. You need direct injection and twin turbos, or a twin scroll.

EcoBoost is more than just clapping out a small engine.
Old 18-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #43
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we'll have to agree to dissagree
Quote:
It wasn't really. The I6T came in when V8 Fairmont's, and LWB Fairlanes were being made. Just another performance addition to the lineup. Plus it doesn't really add bring as good a fuel efficiency because it's not EcoBoost tuned. You need direct injection and twin turbos, or a twin scroll.

EcoBoost is more than just clapping out a small engine.

Rides:

Old 18-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #44
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
we'll have to agree to dissagree
Agreed.
Old 18-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

This thread has nothing to do with the Ecoboost motor thanks.

I must admit Lynton those Minis have some poke i had some fun this arvo with one, although not as quick as my focus it went pretty good (Cooper S)
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just looked up 2.0l t deisel and found approximate serviceing cost on a peugot, how would that compare to the equivelent petrol?

Warranty: three-year / 100,000km warranty. Diesel particulate filter is included under warranty, and must be changed at 160,000km.
Service costs: Service intervals are every 12 months or 20,000km. Minor services are priced at $475, major services at $761.

a link to the page...
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/512...ad-test-review
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #47
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Interesting stats mik. Cheers for that info. This will help me also when it comes to me purchasing my little TD powered car.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #48
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesels are not all the same. There is a huge difference in service requirements, economy, and service costs between different makes and models.
I have a Diesel cruze auto bought new approx 3 months ago, which is the first diesel car I have owned and now I am a diesel convert. I bought this as it was the cheapest diesel with decent trim and safety levels just to "dip the toes in the diesel" so to say and see if liked the concept. And because diesel Teritory was not available at the time.
I don't think I would go back to petrol now. Largely because now I can do Sydney - Canberra - Sydney on <35 litres without having to drive like a grandma, and partly because of the way it drives with the large amounts of low down torque.
Only shortcoming is the massive turbo lag, (0-100 time of 12 secs 8 of which are spent getting 0-5, at least that's what it feels like not real figures.)
The diesel rattle is distinctive at first, however I have grown used to it and now find it quite likeable.
The service intervals are every 15,000 k's and it has not had it's first service yet, so I can't say what the costs are, however looking at standard pricing I don't expect it will be more than an equivalent petrol car. Beware of some diesels that require service every 5,000 k's as that could get expensive.
The Diesel particulate filter is self cleaning and has a lifetime warranty, whatever lifetime means. (By usual definitions when it breaks its dead so its the end of it's life and hence out of warranty.)
Old 19-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #49
Matty4
Banana

You should PM mowog
He has one of each type of Mini you are contemplating
Old 19-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #50
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know right? BMW do it. How hard could it be?
Thanks Clarkson!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Diesels are not all the same. There is a huge difference in service requirements, economy, and service costs between different makes and models.
I have a Diesel cruze auto bought new approx 3 months ago, which is the first diesel car I have owned and now I am a diesel convert. I bought this as it was the cheapest diesel with decent trim and safety levels just to "dip the toes in the diesel" so to say and see if liked the concept. And because diesel Teritory was not available at the time.
I don't think I would go back to petrol now. Largely because now I can do Sydney - Canberra - Sydney on <35 litres without having to drive like a grandma, and partly because of the way it drives with the large amounts of low down torque.
Only shortcoming is the massive turbo lag, (0-100 time of 12 secs 8 of which are spent getting 0-5, at least that's what it feels like not real figures.)
The diesel rattle is distinctive at first, however I have grown used to it and now find it quite likeable.
The service intervals are every 15,000 k's and it has not had it's first service yet, so I can't say what the costs are, however looking at standard pricing I don't expect it will be more than an equivalent petrol car. Beware of some diesels that require service every 5,000 k's as that could get expensive.
The Diesel particulate filter is self cleaning and has a lifetime warranty, whatever lifetime means. (By usual definitions when it breaks its dead so its the end of it's life and hence out of warranty.)
Yep, my Focus is a diesel as well, first time, its great how they drive. I'm staying diesel I reckon, something like a TDV6 in a small car would be great.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #52
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Have 4 turbo diesels in the family now. 3.2lt Pajero and 3.2ltTriton, 2.2lt Mercedes Sprinter Van and 4.9lt Mitsubishi Canter Light Truck. Love them all. Normally off load after 5-6 years or 150,000ks other than the sprinter. Servicing is a piece of cake. Do the lot myself. Sprinter has done 494,000ks. In it's life it's done an injector and a clutch...................... I rest my case......
Old 19-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #53
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
You should PM mowog
He has one of each type of Mini you are contemplating
Are you sure he has countryman, it was only released 2 weeks ago and there is a 3 month wait on delivery. I think he probably has Cooper hatch, which would still be very interesting for comparison as Cooper s has a 1.6 turbo petrol and Cooper d has a 1.6 turbo diesel. I have not driven Cooper d but I have driven the BMW 120d and it was quite impressive, especially the in gear acceleration.

Personlly I like the idea of the diesel but the cost is my hang up, it has to be the best option from a cost perspective for me.