Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
shb

Default E10

Today i filled my new G6 up with E10 simply because the caltex in wentworthville(NSW) doesnt keep regular ULP and premium is dear. It just killed the pickup of the car and I felt it even lost the grunt in its engine noise.At $1.35 the E10 is not too cheap either after the libyan conflict I guess. Anyone knows of any gas stations near wentworthville that still stocks ULP as some have started phasing it out.

shb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: E10

Read in CarsGuide that come July this year (think it was July), Regular Unleaded will be banned leaving ONLY E10 or Premium as your choice of fuel.
They also said that cars over 10 years old, shouldnt run E10 either as it could damage the fuel system.
Can see a lot of people not being able to afford to run a car anymore.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a scam to increase their profits.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course it's a scam.

Ethanol (like the other savior, Hydrogen) is an "energy negative" fuel...it takes more energy to grow, process, and produce, than is contained in the eventual end product. Not to mention the food shortages and price rises that poor people are facing in many areas of the world now because idiots are planting crops to make into ethanol instead of using it for stupid things like feeding thier populace...

Not to mention the elephant in the corner that no one wants to mention: how exactly is it better for the environment to deliberately make my car use "5% to 15% extra fuel consumption", as stated in most literature, even in fuel outlets, about E10? No one seems to want to answer that prickly question.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I use BP ultimate and will continue to use it regardless of whether I update to a new car later this year.
No Ethanol for me.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I sure hope they don't phase out regular around where I live (Adelaide hills, SA).
I had no problems paying for Premium when I had my 4AGE corolla, I never used regular in that... but running a 4L I6 is a different story to running a 1.6L I4.

I doubt I'd be able to afford it without making serious cuts elsewhere to my budget. D:
Old 10-04-2011, 05:51 AM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ive been using it for about 5 years, and have never once noticed a difference in economy or power. I have got a BA on a road trip to 7.8L/100km on E10, 8.9L/100km on the same run with regular. I used to get 800km a tank in my AU on the stuff, and then drive to Willowbank and run 14's all night. It might have just loosened a bit of crud in your tank, as it does have rather effective cleaning properties.
I did get a flat tyre using it once though.....
Old 10-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I often wonder about claims of massive increases in fuel economy when using E10, "hydrogen generators", or other magical stuff like magnets clamped to your fuel lines.

There was a study some years back that showed a subconsious psychological effect in a lot of people that meant once they started using some expensive fuel saving equipment (it especially concentrated on those rediculous "underbonnet hydrogen generators" that have long been proved to do nothing), unknowingly they would start driving more economically...coasting up to lights, accelerating more gently, braking less and working the gears more carefully...than they had before. Your mind knows you are supposed to get better fuel economy (by the claims of whoever made the stuff you are using, whether true or not) and you've made a substantial investment in the thing, so will find yourself driving more carefully to see if you can indeed use the least amount of fuel as possible. The trick was, when they asked people if they'd been driving deliberately more economically or if they'd continued driving normally, they thought they'd been "driving normally, of course".

Unforntunately our state governments have been sucked into the "ethanol is our savior" bandwagon and will push for the phasing out of normal unleaded. They don't really care that lots of older cars simply cannot use the stuff, or that it will damage vehicles not designed for it, or that it will drive people off the road who cannot afford a new car. Hell, even my little old mothers 1996 Mazda 121 has a warning "not to use ethanol blend fuel" in it.

Personally, I think they know damn well it's a rediculous idea that has to be endlessely subsidised to make it affordable, and it makes most cars use more fuel...but a least it will start to bring in the long-held dream of governments to get old cars off the road and force people to buy new vehicles...
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Ive been using it for about 5 years, and have never once noticed a difference in economy or power. I have got a BA on a road trip to 7.8L/100km on E10, 8.9L/100km on the same run with regular. I used to get 800km a tank in my AU on the stuff, and then drive to Willowbank and run 14's all night. It might have just loosened a bit of crud in your tank, as it does have rather effective cleaning properties.
This.

My XR8 loves 98RON E10 (for at least 2 years now). Evidence that its burning cleaner is obvious by the lack of carbon all over my tailpipes. Consumption & power is on par with BP Ultimate. All this for over 10c per litre less. The forcing of E10 has no arguments from me.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

is e10 in perth? never seen any stations using it?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
KuRT12

There was a DYNO test i read a while ago where a performance company compared some fuels.

E10 came in at about 3rwkw less than PULP.

Which was still about 20rwkw higher than ULP.

This was in a 6.0L Calais V.

I have used E10, and i notice power similar to that on PULP, but the economy is definitely worse. But at approx 16cpl cheaper it is all i use when PULP is over 155cpl
KuRT12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Kryton

E10 is 4cpl cheaper than Unleaded here - no big saving to be had.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
KuRT12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
E10 is 4cpl cheaper than Unleaded here - no big saving to be had.
I think people are comparing to PULP, not ULP.

As the performance is supposed to be 95RON - 98RON,

not 91RON like ULP
KuRT12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My main reason for not liking E10 (apart from simple logic and figures that anyone can easily find out), are that, as I said, my mothers relatively recent model car (hell, it might be 1996 but it's only got 16,000km on it ) will have to be garaged. My 1982 Celica will also have to either be mothballed or get the entire fuel system cleaned and flushed and lines inspected for any areas that ethanol fuel will attack. My Morris Minor will have to have similar work done. My GSX-1400 will be able to use it, but luckily I always use Premium in it...as long as I'm not out west somewhere where it's sometimes hard to find premium, then I have to hope that the cleansing effects of the E10 doesn't stuff with the EFI system and clog something up.

The list of cars that simply cannot use E10 is amazing...and don't think they haven't considered premium with ethanol in it...if they did that, I imagine a lot of owners of Ferraris and Porches and other exotica which is all "strictly no ethanol" will be quite happy to garage thier beasts and never drive them again...sure they will.

It's amazing the ******** that the government can foist on people in the name of being environmentally friendly...and no one has yet mentioned the other big question...how much longer will the government continue to use taxpayers dollars to subsidies heavily the sale of E10 fuel...and what will happen when the true cost is revealed, which would rightly put it well above premium if you added in the real cost of production and sold it with a normal profit margin on top of true cost?