Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #61
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My Omega Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
As for my qualifications I'd get into a battle of wits with you but it is unfair to fight an unarmed man .
dont be shy.. just what are your qualifications mr solo trumpet??...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #62
ray38l

^ i have a feeling we will be waiting a while for him to make something up.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #63
burnz
VFII SS UTE

have to laugh about the boot release..
their are three,,, glove box, keyfob, and funny enough on the boot..(soft pad)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #64
Bobman
Regulator

One thing that struck me about the VE was the circa 1970s Datsun style door trims. The trim is pretty sub-standard.

I think I prefer the VY/VZ over the VE but the FG is still a better all-round car in comparison.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #65
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I don't think the Falcon has been as good looking/better looking than the Commodore since EA/B/D but thats just my two cents on the topic.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #66
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Had to take a trip to Melbourne during the week and cause the business that wanted me to come down screwed up my departure point, I asked them for a hire car so I didn't have to get my wife and son up at 3am. Ended up getting a VE Omega with about 31,000km on it.

First impression was that "dammit, you had three FG XR6's available and you gave me the bloody Holden".

Anyway, I get in the car and make my adjustments (mirrors and seating) and take off. Goes pretty alright apart from the two second delay between putting your foot on the accelerator and it actually going (also apply this to kickdown acceleration, but add a second to that again).

Handled well but a little floaty over uneven roads and bumps.

Once you get going (was auto so tried out Sports and Manual mode) it does get up quickly and before you know it you're doing over 120km/h so thinking the hire place will forward on any fines I backed off.

Definitely can't complain about fuel economy. Used 16 litres to do 200km. 8l/100km, which was also relayed on the average fuel consumption. The needle was at the 1/8th point prior to filling so you could theoretically do 850km+ on highway cycle no worries.

Pros - Fuel economy, rolling power, comfortable.
Cons - Initial acceleration, side mirrors, handbrake.

Rating out of 5 - A solid 3.5.

Would I buy one - Definite consideration
Drove a VEII SV6 home from Melbourne airport up the Calder last night .. very unimpressed. Which made me sad :( 'cos I own a VY1 SV8 which despite it's el-cheapo status has been a good car and I'm still quite happy with it.

The VE was a rental and had 18,000km so I'm not sure if that was the cause of the "issues" or more basic problems with the vehicle design. Steering was vague, brakes woeful (really bad), seats poor (designed for people 20 stone or more), difficult to see out of .. and the engine/transmission were terrible. Might have 200kw but was hopeless at maintaining a constant speed up or down hills and loved to bang up and down gears. The red dash lights and ICC were easy on the eye, but no great leap in human/machine interface .. just more fluff.

The low beam headlights were great! (but the highbeams were woeful)

Ride was quite comfortable, and probably it's biggest positive was NO RATTLES!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #67
JG34JA

I've recently been in a VE SS Sportwagon, an FG XR6, and a VY Executive wagon and AUII Falcon SR back to back. So I'll include the older cars for interest, here goes:

The SS was solidly put together, had superb steering feel, and a great, willing and frugal (!) driveline (6sp Auto). Having driven the manual on release, the auto is much nicer for daily driving. AFM does what ever it is supposed to do, and the car was getting 8's on the highway as reported by its owner. Acceleration when pushed was very progressive and very fun. Seating was brilliant, very comfortable. Suspension was a great compromise between a more tight springing and comfort. Length of potential loadspace is impressive, however it does not have the capacity and airy feeling in VY wagon. The A-pillar is intrusive, the interior design was attractive (all black though), and rear legroom is very respectable. I could discern a small amount of vibration coming from the road through the floor, but that was it. For many years I have compared both marques, and this one seems to have a 'Falconesque' feel to it in steering wheel, steering and being the V8 has torque. Would I buy one? Yes, but in Calais trim. If this is what Holden are making today, then I can see why they are selling.

The XR6 was a 5 speed auto. Lovely torque interaction with gearbox. Seating was comfortable for a family of 4. I preferred the SS drivers' seat to be honest. Very well weighted steering. Steering wheel is fat in the hand compared to older Ford tillers, and in this sense felt 'Commodore like'. The FG is a much bigger car than an AU, and in some ways the continuation of design layout over the years is very pleasing. Fuel economy achieved was 8's on the highway run. Again, bolted together very solidly. I did perceive a small rattle in the door at certain speeds. For gravel work, it is very sure. Would I buy one? Not as a sedan, sadly. I'd also look at the G6E and turbos if I was interested.

The AUII was felt surprisingly similar to the FG in some respects. The same torquey inline 6 feel, although its steering was much lighter and the wheel felt smaller in the hand. After 130,000 this example was in some ways feeling new. Personally I love the 'smaller' feel engineered into this model Falcon. It is frugal too, 7s to 8s on the highway with a 4 speed auto. The inline 6 can be chirpy taking off on gravel, but has plenty of grunt low down, a Falcon strong point. Getting in and out rear doors can be a problem. The rear seats can fold down and with a wide opening to the boot can swallow large items, up to 9 or 10 feet in length. Styling looks contemporary a decade after release. Last upper spec Falcon wagon from Ford, last 'sporty' wagon from Ford (SR), so there's a message in there somewhere. That's a decade ago. Sheesh!

The VY wagon had the last iron block 3.8 V6 and four speed auto. This was a weakness in an otherwise pleasant product, with a mere 52,000 on the clock so in some respects it was new! It has a great ride, arguably tuned for smoother roads than most of Australia offers. To go from coarse chip to smooth blacktop, the car becomes 'silent' and appears to float along. It's forte is in smooth and reasonably rapid point-to-point urban work, using the torque just above a feather steering roundabouts, corners, etc. It steering wheel is a bit thicker than the Falcon of similar age, but seems progressive when not pushed. On the highway, the torque is there, but not as willing as the Falcon IMO; it returned 8.6L/100km doing the limit, and sitting on around 2,000 revs. Seating is soft, but over very long distances the support can feel lacking a bit. Loadspace is excellent, and the cabin has much better all round vision than modern cars.

Hope all that was informative.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #68
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I know this may sound typical, but the last commode I drove was disappointing. I will admit though, it was lightyears ahead of the VT (how that model received the accolades it did ill never know)

It was a VE Omega 4spd Auto with the older 3.6 V6. Ill list in point form:

Good:

- It was a quiet vehicle, with a solid feel, no questions there.
- The Alloytec I found to be good around town when it doesnt need punching. Driveline shunt was at a minimum in this scenario.
- Despite hearing complaints about the A-pillar I found visiblity to still be good.
- The seats themselves, are quite accomodating. Comfortable & large.
- Outside noise was minimal, typical of full size 70s vehicles.

Bad:

- A typical commode trait which most like but I hate, is the seating position. Im 5'11" and I couldnt stand to sink into the seat & sitting so low. It annoyed the hell outta me. Especially when getting out of the car.
- The Alloytec, whilst as i mentioned good for doddling along, has no guts at all.
- The 4spd has nothing on the AUs BTR that im used to. It really defines the term "slushbox".
- The car has a cumbersome feel to it (possibly different for higher spec models). Just like the B-series. The "point and shoot" feel of the AUs steering suits me a lot better.
- Like most, I cant stand that damn handbrake lever. Nearly pinched my fingers a few times on the bloody thing.

Ive tried to be as unbiased as I can. Not that youd ever catch me buying a Holden regardless of how good it is. I do like to drive them once in a while so I dont feel completely "one-eyed" in my opinions.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #69
warpsp33d

On occasion, I've had the opportunity to stick the boot in on a VE Calais, and also do some long distance driving in a VE Statesman.

Comparing these to a BF... I really truly don't mind them in the city. The Statesman feels surprisingly small and agile for its size.

I found the Calais very easy to step into and just 'drive' comfortably.

But... my peeves, compared to a BF (I haven't driven an FG yet):

1. The frigging A-pillar - epic fail.
2. The stupid boot release in the glove box.
3. The cruise control buttons, the way they function and their location. (twist this, press that, pull that, oops no, twist the other way)
4. The flat boot (stuff just rolls around).
5. Gearbox no where near as refined as the Ford.
6. Steering is very twitchy at high speed. I couldn't drive as relaxed at 110 as I can in a BF, and especially overtaking, I found the steering far far too sensitive.
7. The side rear vision mirrors, they're a stupid shape and you can't see bugger all out of them.
8. Overtaking in the Statesman, put your foot down, you get an ear full of whiney engine noise as it screams its guts out... and goes nowhere. BF sound better, revs harder, and goes quicker.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #70
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Interesting comment about the power coming on after 2 seconds or so... The SV6 work ute (VE 2010 model) we have was terrible in that department too.

Once it got going then foomph! She moved! But if you left the SV6 gearbox in auto instead of sports mode, you could make a cup of tea, change the radio station and check your stock prices while waiting for the down change.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #71
craigrobinson
Full Speed Ahead!!!!

I had the unlucky experience in driving one not long ago for two weeks. I hadnt driven one before so was looking forward to having a try. my findings:

Tinny sounding
slow take off
really crappy hand brake (pinched my finger a couple of times)
hated the roll wheel control on the steering wheel
under done interior
very 'ordinary'

Pros:
good fuel economy
um..... no cant think of anything else

My cousin has the SV6 and has had so many problems with it not starting, earth faults, reverse sensor faults, air bag faults, stalling whilst doing 100 down the freeway, that holden are considering giving them another car.

I have owned holden and ford and i have always (and will always) come back to ford as they are simply a bloody nice car to drive.
craigrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #72
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpsp33d
But... my peeves, compared to a BF (I haven't driven an FG yet):

1. The frigging A-pillar - epic fail.
You may want to stick to your BF then. I was puzzled about the heat on the A pillar after I owned a VE Clubby. It looked larger than normal but it wasn't that big a deal. I bought a BF and the A pillar was noticeably smaller but not that much so that getting back into a VE would be that big a deal. Bought an F6 and the A pillar looked larger than what I remembered from the Clubby.

On the weekend, went to a Holden dealer after more complaints about the A pillar size and noticed, while the pillar itself is larger, my F6 has an inch or two of visible rubber that houses the window that you don't see on the VE which makes them pretty much equal.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #73
warpsp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
On the weekend, went to a Holden dealer after more complaints about the A pillar size and noticed, while the pillar itself is larger, my F6 has an inch or two of visible rubber that houses the window that you don't see on the VE which makes them pretty much equal.
Perhaps its not the size so much as the position.

It seems to always be exactly where I want to look.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post